News   Apr 25, 2024
 177     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

VIA Rail

A few years back, you had the redevelopment of the pro-sports facilities.

Subsequently, there's been some restoration of some vacant heritage properties, some residential infill in terms of condos/rental apartments.

The big move was Quicken Loans/Dan Gilbert's corporate interests shifting all their offices to downtown Detroit.

There's been some additional blight removal, some public realm improvements, particularly their 'River Walk' (a streetscape/park corridor along the Detroit River) as well as construction of their downtown streetcar, 'The Q Line'.

On the Qucken HQ:

On a new Beach/park area near DT Detroit:

From same:

1618241591330.png

On the Q Line

And now Ford Motor Company has bought the former Michigan Central Train Station and begun restoring perhaps the most overt symbol of that City's neglect for 2+ generations.

It needs to be said though, for all the good news, Detroit's population is barely stable'ish.....and much neglect/blight remain just beyond the core area.

Though there is certainly a positive trendline...

Last edited:
yup. It's still early, but there is actually something there to "see" today compared to 10 years ago.

I've never actually been - I had planned to go last year before the Pandemic hit. It'll be one of my first spots to visit once the border is open again.

I think it's clear from this article that HFR is still on track (at the very least it's not being upended by some phantom HSR/TGV proposal as some would have us believe). Champagne is the de facto No. 3 minister on the Liberal Cabinet line up, after Trudeau and Deputy PM Freeland, and his voice carries a lot of weight in the government and in the LPC establishment.
« Il y a juste un projet de train et c’est le train à grande fréquence (TGF) », assure le ministre de l’Innovation, des Sciences et de l'Industrie du Canada, François-Philippe Champagne. En entrevue à l’émission Toujours le matin, l’ancien ministre de l’Industrie et député de Saint-Maurice–Champlain, a toutefois assuré que seul le projet de train à grande fréquence (TGF) entre Québec et Toronto est toujours dans les plans du gouvernement fédéral.
"There is just one train project and it is the HFR", said Champagne. If that isn't clear enough of a confirmation, I don't know what is. Champagne specifically said that in response to Journal de Montreal's article calling HFR into question.

yup. It's still early, but there is actually something there to "see" today compared to 10 years ago.

I've never actually been - I had planned to go last year before the Pandemic hit. It'll be one of my first spots to visit once the border is open again.
We went to Windsor and Detroit 2 years ago for a long-weekend (on VIA of course) and enjoyed both cities. Detroit is certainly getting reborn (and Windsor too) but there are still HUGE areas of abandoned or leveled buildings in and near downtown Detroit. The Detroit architectural tours are great - though I doubt they are offered now, if one could even get there. If there were a Toronto-Chicago train, a stop-over in either or both Windsor or Detroit would be good but so would a stop-over in Kingston on a Toronto-Montreal trip - and how many of us actually do that?.

Plus, the third wave is going collapse even faster than past ones, as vaccines keep marching. It is going to happen so fast that it will feel like whiplash. The result is companies that foresee this will look like they are moving too early now, and those that don't will look like laggards by June.

French lawmakers approve a ban on short domestic flights

From link.
French lawmakers voted late on Saturday to abolish domestic flights on routes than can be covered by train in under two-and-a-half hours, as the government seeks to lower carbon emissions even as the air travel industry reels from the global pandemic.

The measure is part of a broader climate bill that aims to cut French carbon emissions by 40% in 2030 from 1990 levels, though activists accuse President Emmanuel Macron of watering down earlier promises in the draft legislation.

The vote came days after the state said it would contribute to a 4 billion euro ($4.76 billion) recapitalisation of Air France, more than doubling its stake in the flagcarrier, to shore up its finances after over a year of COVID-19 travel curbs.

Industry Minister Agnes Pannier-Runacher dismissed criticism from the aviation industry that a pandemic recovery was not the time to ban some domestic flights, and said there was no contradiction between the bailout and the climate bill.

“We know that aviation is a contributor of carbon dioxide and that because of climate change we must reduce emissions,” she told Europe 1 radio. “Equally, we must support our companies and not let them fall by the wayside.”

Air traffic may not return to pre-crisis levels before 2024, McKinsey analysts forecast.

Some environmental campaigners have said the bill does not go far enough. A citizens’ climate forum established by Macron to help shape climate policy had called for the scrapping of flights on routes where the train journey is less than 4 hours.

Saturday night’s vote in the National Assembly was the first. The bill goes to the Senate before a third and final vote in the lower house, where Macron’s ruling party and allies dominate.

Helps when France has real high-speed trains.

Meanwhile, in Ontario...

nothing

Last edited:
Plus, the third wave is going collapse even faster than past ones, as vaccines keep marching. It is going to happen so fast that it will feel like whiplash. The result is companies that foresee this will look like they are moving too early now, and those that don't will look like laggards by June.

Not quite. Takes 2 weeks to take effect. That's why they tell you to stay home for two weeks after getting the shot.

But by May long weekend at least half the population will have been vaccinated and hopefully most of those taking the train will be outside the two week period.

Not quite. Takes 2 weeks to take effect. That's why they tell you to stay home for two weeks after getting the shot.
They'd up the lockdown rules (mostly Toronto and Peel) before the shutdown was announced. Also there's been no school in Peel (Mississauga/Brampton) for 12 days now. And one bizarre day of school in Toronto during that period - which was about half-empty from what I hear (we kept our kids home that day, as did many others).

If you look closely at the numbers, Toronto and Peel have been flat or down for the last two days, though rest of province is up.

Might be closer to 10 days not 2 weeks. Also note that York has now significantly overtaken Toronto in terms of cases, not having any restrictions until the shutdown started.

Hopefully the downward slope is steeper too than the last couple of times, with the vaccine spreading (though I guess this being the variant now, could outweigh that, and make it shallower than the previous times, or even just flat).

I suppose the best example is the UK - the first ones to deal with the UK variant. They simply ended up locking down completely in mid-February for 2 months. I'd guess then that this stay-at-home should last until sometime in early June, unless we vaccinate faster than UK.

French lawmakers approve a ban on short domestic flights

From link.

Helps when France has real high-speed trains.

Meanwhile, in Ontario...

nothing
It's like France is a different country with a different attitude to state planning, with a different attitude to "national champion" industries, and with a transnational rail framework which allows train operators to bid on a fair basis for access to the network, twice the population of Canada, and six percent of the Canadian land area.

Canadian is used by an older population and would be vaccinated. My guess.
And if VIA doesn't or can't (fearing a CTC complaint) mandate vaccine passports? Can it even guarantee vaccination for its own crews, given the amount of vaccine hesitancy we have seen in LTC staff?

4156 cases in Ontario alone today. I watched the Corridor VIAs pass at Monarch Park last night and it sure as hell didn't look a comforting sight. The average length of train journey for Canadian is much longer. I would not restart before June 30. Yes that will have impacts but the public health emergency absolutely overrides those impacts.

It's like France is a different country with a different attitude to state planning, with a different attitude to "national champion" industries, and with a transnational rail framework which allows train operators to bid on a fair basis for access to the network, twice the population of Canada, and six percent of the Canadian land area.
While I get your point, the population density of Canada as a whole tells you next to nothing about the role that trains can play in our society. Our population is very concentrated in a handful of regions. The Windsor-Quebec corridor has more than half the population of Canada and is almost as densely populated as France. We can learn a lot from what other countries are doing and the example of France is a lot more relevant than China, which gets brought up a lot here. The story about France banning short domestic flights is a glimpse of what could eventually be possible in this part of Canada if we start investing in intercity rail again.

Back