News   Apr 24, 2024
 57     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 579     0 

VIA Rail

About Gormick vs. Langan

I think Paul Langan is going to come off as even more of a kook when HFR is rolling and loads of people are using VIA. I wish guys like Greg Gormick got out in front of him with the media.
I'm inclined to state that as much as they despise each other, their interests align as to that HFR must be stopped: Paul Langan opposes HFR because he (very foolishly) believes that there will be only one big rail infrastructure project which will ever receive funding and that he must make sure that it will be full-scale HSR, whereas Greg Gormick opposes HFR because he understands painfully well that VIA successfully implementing HFR would undermine his narrative that intercity passenger rail in this country is dying and thus obviate his business model, which is selling reports which outline strategies of how to save VIA. Therefore, they most probably see each other as useful idiots right now...

Gormick has been pretty kooky about HFR in his own right, though nowhere close to Langan's level, and I'm someone who's read his Southwest Lynx document and totally agrees with his assessment and recommendations. I do sympathize with how jaded he seems about the provincial and federal governments though.
Without a doubt, Gormick is one of the most prolific railroad historians in this country, but in my personal appreciation, any of his analyses of the current situation is clouded by his cynicism and barely veiled contempt for VIA Rail. I've read the entire Southwest Lynx proposal yesterday and his incorrect narrative of a "constant decline of intercity passenger rail" is exemplified by the following table:
1578849452462.png

Source: Southwest Lynx Proposal (2018, p.13)

When describing above table, Greg Gormick claims that "VIA restricts the amount of information it makes public, and full costing and performance data tend to be outdated, so the most complete overview of its Southwestern Ontario operation now dates back five years", even though all but three metrics can be found in any Annual Report since 2013:
1578850350515.png

Source: VIA Rail Annual Report 2018 (p.9)

Of these three missing metrics, two can easily be calculated from other metrics provided:
  • Passenger miles: Shortfall divided by Subsidy per Passenger mile = 135,050,000 in 2018 ($27,010,000 / $0.20), up from 114,848,000 in 2013 ($62,328,010 / $0.50)
  • Cost recovery: Revenues divided by Costs = 66.9% in 2018 ($54,593,000 / $81,603,000), up from 41.6% in 2013 ($44,389,604 / $106,717,613)
The final metric (train miles) can be calculated by consulting a VIA timetable and obtaining the distances by either measuring them in Google Earth or consulting a pre-2008 VIA timetable:

1578874982259.png

Compiled from: official VIA Rail timetables

Given that the timetable only changed once since December 2012, we can quickly determine the scheduled annual train mileage for every year since 2013, as follows:
  • 2013 and 2014: 1,558,863 km (29,896 km * 365 / 7)
  • 2015: 1,562,144 km ( [1,558,863 * (365 - 66) + 1,577,009 * 66)] / 365)
  • 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019: 1,577,09 km (30,244 km * 365 / 7)
As you can see in this full table, every single KPI improved significantly since 2013 and some KPIs (especially the ones relating to costs and subsidies) are now closer to where they were in 1988 than in 2013:

1578886465044.png

Compiled from: VIA Rail annual reports 2013-2018 and official VIA Rail timetables

To Greg Gormick's credit, the release of his Southwest Lynx report pre-dated that of VIA's 2018 Annual Report, but as I've shown above, he could have easily created the table with 2016 rather than 2013 values and then quickly update them with the figures from the 2017 Annual Report, which was published on May 7, 2018, and thus still prior to his release in "June 2018" (according to the cover page of the return; note that the file name suggests that the report was published on June 27, 2018). Nevertheless, comparing a cost-recovery rate of 66.8% a per-passenger subsidy figure of $8.85 in 1988 with respective figures of 59.5% and $32.80 in 2016 would have painted a much less alarmist picture than with figures of 41.6% and $57.79 in 2013. But I guess that it simply depends on your personal narrative whether you frame VIA's performance since the late-1980s as one of a constant decline or as one where a brutal cut effectively halved its network and service in 1990, followed first by 18 years of moderate growth, then 6 years (2008-2014) of medium decline and finally 4 years (and counting!) of strong growth (at a rate and to levels which had never been seen since at least the 1990 cuts):

1578882691961.png

1578882768820.png

Note: both diagrams were originally posted in Post #5,346

By the way, has anyone else noticed how much Greg Gormick praises the Siemens Chargers throughout his report (see quote below, taken from page 44, emphasis mine)?
Using Siemens HPR diesel-electric trainsets derived from successful European equipment modified to meet North American safety standards, the Brightline service will operate at up to 200 km/h on a frequent, evenly-spaced “clock face” schedule and connect with Amtrak passenger trains and feeder buses, the Miami and Orlando commuter rail systems, and urban transit services along its route.

The first phase of Brightline between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale went into revenue service on January 13, 2018, and the extension to Miami followed on May 19. One of its greatest values in terms of advancing the case for other HPR services is through the selection of its Siemens motive power and rolling stock. This is the first off-the-shelf HPR equipment ever produced in North America.

Similar 200-km/h Charger diesel locomotives are already being used on several state-supported Amtrak routes in California, the Pacific Northwest and the Midwest. The rolling stock has also been ordered for use on the California and Midwest routes. Its immediate availability has a strong bearing on the SouthwestLynx proposal, as do the other working examples of HPR now in service or soon to be launched across the U.S.
Yet, rather than praising VIA for making what he clearly regards as a highly appropriate choice for HPR corridors like HFR or Southwest Lynx (and which he could have framed as VIA finally following his advise, even though you can safely assume that his opinion was highly irrelevant in this decision or any other decision made by VIA's management since at least when YDS took over in 2014), VIA's decision to procure its new fleet from exactly the same product line seems to have made him more bitter, cynical and even outright toxic about VIA than ever. Apparently, seeing that the solutions you have been demanding for years are finally getting implemented is a very scary development for someone who seems to have made a comfortable living off lamenting the stagnation and inaction of the past decades...

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm surprised about how low the per passenger subsidy is in Southwestern Ontario given that the fares are lower for a similar distance traveled (Toronto to London/Kingston), how the load factor falls significantly after London station (for trains continuing to Windsor), and the number of students using passes on those trains.

Interesting. I met Greg Gormick once. Transit open house in Ottawa over a decade ago. Beyond that I read work from Transport Action Ontario and Transport Action Canada. Never got the impression he was that down on VIA. More that he was a realist who simply wanted government funding increased and deployed more effectively. I'm happy to be corrected though.

One thing I can't grasp is the difference between HPR and HFR. Conceptually they look the same to me.

In any event, I consider Paul Lanagan more kooky and more dangerous. I can't see Greg Gormick actively campaigning against HFR. But I can't see Paul Lanagan becoming a media darling for conservatives who are absolutely opposed to more government spending on VIA.

One thing I can't grasp is the difference between HPR and HFR. Conceptually they look the same to me.

As I understand it, and this may be more impression than anything, HPR does not put the same emphasis on separating freight from passenger. And HPR assumes a greater "prod" from government to the freight railways.

Some of that may be the result of focussing on lines west of Toronto, where there isn't a torn-up Havelock Sub available for dedication to passenger. HPR may be the only realistic way to improve service in that region without creating a new rail corridor (and that seems unlikely, especially in light of Oxford County's type of pushback).

In fact, HPR especially the Lynx document is just a fairly vanilla description of what can realistically be done to upgrade freight rail lines using "available" technologies and avoiding anything that looks unproven or technically ahead of the curve. I can't find anything in it to criticise, other than it tries to manouever around putting the onus on VIA and Ottawa to get on with things.....that may be more realism than cynicism, since VIA will have difficulty selling or executing a "Phase II" for HFR, until Phase I has an operating track record. Certainly Gormick is willing to look for support from stakeholders who might see Ottawa (and by extension VIA) as the "enemy".

I don't fault Gormick for showing his impatience and frustration with things - he has been pushing hard for improvements since the 1980's, after all - but I do find his proposals to consistently fall short of making points that decisionmakers actually care about. His sermons get great reviews from the choir, but that's not effective advocacy. Increasingly, I admire YDS for figuring out the language that actually resonates on Bay Street and in Ottawa, so that even if there is not buyin, there's a discussion based on something more than blind faith or vision alone. In his time at VIA, he steered the dialogue well.

That doesn't mean Gormick is wrong, but his brand of know-all and hand-wringing doesn't win enough allies. And there has indeed been collateral damage from his shots at various parties. And, while many people consult as a business and do advocacy as well, doing both hasn't helped the reception of his proposals.

- Paul

Last edited:
Increasingly, I admire YDS for figuring out the language that actually is needed on Bay Street and in Ottawa, so that even if there is not buyin, there's a discussion based on something more than blind faith or high level positions.

This. So much this......

There's plenty of people who criticize him. But I think he was so refreshing because he actually didn't pitch the idea like a public servant. It looks like a startup pitch in many aspects. And that is very different for Crown agencies. I also like that he manoeuvered successfully to get buy in from en route communities while keeping the Lakeshore communities on board with absolute service reductions. That is good leadership, stakeholder management and communication.

I despise the like of Paul Lanagan for shitting on HFR, because this is the closest this country has actually gotten to a genuine investment in intercity rail in half a century. And that guy wants to kill it for the sake of ideological purity.

HSR would almost certainly skip most of the small communities served by HFR anyway, and even if the ROW wasn't used for HSR, the general terrain around there isn't great and would probably require a lot more engineering work than going closer to the lake. On the other hand, expropriation might be significantly cheaper further north.

GIF of little girl captioned with "Why not both?"

It's a false dichotomy to say that it's only HFR exclusive-or HSR as many people on both sides portray it, and I think that Paul Langan would be the first to agree that we *also* need the intercity service that hits the stops in between that HSR does not. He is a fan of GO service expansion like 2WADGO on the Kitchener line, for example.

Having said that, the way Via has advertised it's HFR strategy has either been very poorly planned or very poorly explained/marketed.
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 12.45.18.png

Their communications say that they would only be building new, passenger-only tracks along that mostly abandoned that Toronto⟷Peterborough⟷Ottawa corridor, depicted in the yellow line in the above screencap, and not along the lakeshore corridor, or from Windsor⟷Toronto. This is just ridiculous.

TPO would become a point-to-point link trying (and probably failing) to compete with air traffic YYZ⟷YOW as it appears to only be Class 3 rail with 60mph (97km/h) speed limits that they seem to be talking about building. or at least nothing indicates class 4, 5, or 6 tracks. I'm skeptical about its potential ability to draw new riders, and I think the money would be better spent on remediating existing track and widening existing corridors to add tracks and reduce contention that way until ridership is such that it is obvious new freight corridors need to be built to remove contention completely. At this point in time, I am more sanguine about GO producing results even under PC cutbacks, than I am about VIA's HFR.

GIF of little girl captioned with "Why not both?"

It's a false dichotomy to say that it's only HFR exclusive-or HSR as many people on both sides portray it, and I think that Paul Langan would be the first to agree that we *also* need the intercity service that hits the stops in between that HSR does not. He is a fan of GO service expansion like 2WADGO on the Kitchener line, for example.

Having said that, the way Via has advertised it's HFR strategy has either been very poorly planned or very poorly explained/marketed.
View attachment 225272
Their communications say that they would only be building new, passenger-only tracks along that mostly abandoned that Toronto⟷Peterborough⟷Ottawa corridor, depicted in the yellow line in the above screencap, and not along the lakeshore corridor, or from Windsor⟷Toronto. This is just ridiculous.

TPO would become a point-to-point link trying (and probably failing) to compete with air traffic YYZ⟷YOW as it appears to only be Class 3 rail with 60mph (97km/h) speed limits that they seem to be talking about building. or at least nothing indicates class 4, 5, or 6 tracks. I'm skeptical about its potential ability to draw new riders, and I think the money would be better spent on remediating existing track and widening existing corridors to add tracks and reduce contention that way until ridership is such that it is obvious new freight corridors need to be built to remove contention completely. At this point in time, I am more sanguine about GO producing results even under PC cutbacks, than I am about VIA's HFR.

The "TPO" route will be Class 6 rail at portions rebuilt by VIA, with a maximum speed of 177km/h, because of at-grade crossings.

VIA does not own the corridors or the tracks for the current route, CN does.There is little to nothing they can do. An attempt in the 00's to add passing track/sidings for passenger lines on the existing route was both extremely costly, and futile, as CN both had to be paid to do the work (its their corridor) and overcharged, and lengthened their trains to make them unable to fit in the sidings, which were built to allow VIA trains to pass.

CN owns the corridor, the tracks etc, its their mainline, and they have little to no incentive to give VIA the right of way.

Its a non starter, and thats why the HFR route was chosen.

However milk-run service will continue along the CN corridor to those communities.

The "TPO" route will be Class 6 rail at portions rebuilt by VIA, with a maximum speed of 177km/h, because of at-grade crossings.

Where have you seen that? Nothing I have read from VIA has indicated that would be the case.

VIA does not own the corridors or the tracks for the current route, CN does.There is little to nothing they can do. An attempt in the 00's to add passing track/sidings for passenger lines on the existing route was both extremely costly, and futile, as CN both had to be paid to do the work (its their corridor) and overcharged, and lengthened their trains to make them unable to fit in the sidings, which were built to allow VIA trains to pass.

CN owns the corridor, the tracks etc, its their mainline, and they have little to no incentive to give VIA the right of way.

Its a non starter, and thats why the HFR route was chosen.

However milk-run service will continue along the CN corridor to those communities.

And if Ontario/Metrolinx can get CN to agree to additional tracks in a CN corridor, as seems to be the case for 2WADGO on the Kitchener line, there's no reason why that cannot happen for VIA. Especially if Via buys the land where the corridor needs to be widened.

Last edited:

Back