News   Jul 12, 2024
 666     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 641     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 286     0 

VIA Rail

I'll say it again...

One of the most short-sighted project ever.

Best to build true HSR in today's dollars than in 20 years dollars.
Via Rail had been barking up that tree for decades with nothing to show for it. So they came up with a plan that actually stands a chance of getting built.

Think of HFR as a stepping stone. If it's successful then there's a better chance that a high speed system will get built in the future. But if we don't build HFR then Via will continue to exist in the purgatory that it's been in for most of its existence and HSR will continue to be a fantasy. If we demand everything we'll continue to get nothing.

Via Rail had been barking up that tree for decades with nothing to show for it. So they came up with a plan that actually stands a chance of getting built.

Think of HFR as a stepping stone. If it's successful then there's a better chance that a high speed system will get built in the future. But if we don't build HFR then Via will continue to exist in the purgatory that it's been in for most of its existence and HSR will continue to be a fantasy. If we demand everything we'll continue to get nothing.

Added to this, frequency really matters especially when given the general unreliability of the network. Miss your connecting train and there might actually be a chance at getting on the next one same day. It also makes a big difference for people who have 1hr+ journeys just to get to and from a hub like Union in the first place. And for that price you get dedicated tracks so likely decent speeds and reliability, as well as federal dollars going into providing transit to a big chunk of Eastern Ontario that often gets ignored by distant government bodies. HSR would be nice but without a larger robust network to underpin it, would only be useful for people going more or less exclusively from one urban core to another. And who's to say those HSR dollars might not be better spent on thousands of smaller improvements like grade separations, gentling of curves, double tracking, etc which would raise average train speed? Average train speed should be the kind of metric we care about more than having a singular HSR line that's very fast while the rest of the system is in bad shape.

Do we know whether HFR will be a single track or double track? It would be a real shame if trains had to wait for each other to pass like with 73/76 near Glencoe (those trains always end up getting delayed).

Do we know whether HFR will be a single track or double track? It would be a real shame if trains had to wait for each other to pass like with 73/76 near Glencoe (those trains always end up getting delayed).

We know there will be a lot of single track. That really isn’t such a big deal, if the siding spacing is reasonable and if track speeds are high. As it is already on the Brockville-Ottawa line, where single track works pretty well.. Glencoe is only a problem because the sidings are spaced badly and leave few alternatives to trains having to wait for meets.

- Paul

If I counted correctly, I've now reached the sixth part of this post, which is artificially kept alive by a circling argument between myself and @micheal_can (with various members participating in either side of the argument), while new, fresh discussions keep getting added (we are already dealing with a dozen of topics by now), which is why I've added these links for better navigation:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

#6 About VIA's mandate

Your chart shows a lower number of people traveling between Ottawa and Toronto.
Which chart exactly are you referring to? Because I only recall posting charts on a per-route level, which showed either the population, the travel time or (looked up for a random day also) ticket prices, but certainly not ridership figures, as this information is commercially sensitive and therefore not available through public sources. If you are referring to ridership figures provided in VIA's Annual Reports, then these figures unfortunately aggregate multiple routes and the transition from M-O-T trains (which were - or in the case of train 51: still are - reported as part of "Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto") to Q-M-O trains (which are reported as "Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa") makes it difficult to analyze any ridership trends below the "Corridor East" (i.e. anything Corridor east of Toronto) level...

So, the normal person would wonder why they would increase frequency when there is a lower ridership. You said that the Canadian proved you could run on lower frequency and still do well. If you use that attitude, then, between Toronto and Ottawa should have less on it due to the lower ridership, or is this where your logic becomes flawed and you only want a self serving service?
Other than deriving implausible conclusions from data which was never presented to you, your mistake is that frequency doesn't matter much to tourist or remote markets, while it is an integral element of the competitiveness in intercity markets...

In general, most government departments are not there to make money. They are there to serve the citizens with a needed service. Just imagine if the military had to make a profit, or EI had to be profitable... So, Via does not need to make a profit. They need to serve Canadians.
You are right that VIA's mandate (unlike say, Amtrak's) is not to make money; yet (just like any government agency), it is expected to fulfill its mandates in a resourceful manner which protects the interests of the taxpayers (i.e. of the society as a whole and not just of those individuals who demand its services)...

#7 About finding viable intercity corridors outside the Quebec-Windsor Corridor

I would argue for a City-pair model (typically), with select intermediate stops.

Kenora-Thunder Bay; Thunder Bay-Sudbury (or Sault); Sault to North Bay, North Bay to Ottawa; Sudbury/NB to Toronto.

I'm not suggesting all of these are of equal or imminent priority, but that any business case for servicing this area would be based on this type of service, not a 'cruise ship' model.

Likewise, out west, Edmonton-Calgary; Regina-Saskatoon, Calgary-Banff, Calgary-Regina, Calgary-Lethbridge, Regina-Winnipeg etc. are where more reasonable potential exists.
We've already discussed in the third part of this post that apart from Edmonton-Calgary, the size and position of the population centers along every single of the routes you list west of Winnipeg is inferior to that of any Corridor route (even Sarnia-Toronto) and would thus make it difficult to even justify one service per day. Given that one train per day could never justify the investments required to make travel times remotely competitive with driving or taking a bus (if one existed), what is the point of discussing such routes? And if Saskatoon (295 k), Regina (236 k), and Lethbridge (117 k) are too small and too distant from other population centers to become viable as termini for intercity rail services, why do we need to discuss Thunder Bay (121 k, but much more remote than Lethbridge) Saulte Ste Marie (98 k), North Bay (70 k) or Kenora (15 k)?

I actually like the idea of rail-connected 'city-pairs' provided there is a travelling demographic to support them. It's one thing to say that people could take the train but quite another to say they would in sufficient numbers.
Amen.

#9 About expanding transcontinental VIA services

You like to argue that everything should be buses.

[...]

Try to go from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg by passenger train? You cant. I am not suggesting we put more service on CN's norther route. I am suggesting s southern route through Sault St Marie and Thunder Bay be put it.

A daily is not a tourist train. A daily means you as a business or student person can take the train to where you need to.
There is no demand for buses. Just like there is no demand for trains. Except for transport enthusiasts and tourists with a strong preference for a particular mode of transport, bus transport or rail transport are not needs - mobility is. I'm not saying "everything should be buses", what I'm asking is (and I'm asking it all the HSR, Maglev or Hyperloop enthusiasts/groupies I argue on Social Media or in real life with) "What is the problem you are trying to fix?"; because a doctor is more likely to prescribe the appropriate medicine if he first listens to the patient describing his symptoms...

Maybe you should take a history lesson why Toronto is the only one in Canada that still has streetcars. You might even enjoy the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It is proven that GM and Firestone paid millions to have cities pull up lines or to make passenger rail unappealing to the public so they can sell buses. Buses will not help us reach our climate promises, trains will. If you are a climate denier, say now so I can simply scroll on instead of wasting my time with someone who does not understand basic physics.
The sentence I highlighted above is actually a perfect representation of your habit of proposing a solution without understanding the problem: If you have to transport 2,000 commuters, then choosing a 12-car bi-level GO train (still with almost 2000 seats the largest-capacity-vehicle-by-seat-count I've ever seen, despite having been in Japan) surely wins on any count (economic/environmental/speed) over transporting the same crowd with individual buses; however, if you only have 20-30 passengers traveling the same way, a 40-seater highway bus wins on all these counts over transporting the same amount of people with a train hauled by a 3,000 hp locomotive and frequently slowed down by poor track maintenance and intense freight traffic.

Climate change is a powerful argument to highlight the urgency of changing our transportation priorities. Nevertheless, abusing it to justify ideological biases does a severe disservice to the existential task of preserving our livelihood, as this abuse (as well-intended as it might be) will be ruthlessly exploited by the very climate change deniers you suspect me (though at least with a big question mark, as it seems) to be part of...

It is circular because we have differing views on what we should have. I like being educated on why it wouldn't work. The problem I am finding is many do not understand history.
I would rather argue that your trains-are-good-therefore-buses-are-evil bias is the single-biggest obstacle in allowing yourself in being educated why your ideas would only work under circumstances which are unfortunately very unlikely to materialize within the next few decades and that you certainly are part of those who lack historic context to sufficiently understand the problems in the complexity in which they are discussed here...

This time, the 10,000 character limit does not even allow me to include any new points, which will therefore have to be outsourced into a Part 7...

Last edited:
#6 About VIA's mandate

Which chart exactly are you referring to? Because I only recall posting charts on a per-route level, which showed either the population, the travel time or (looked up for a random day also) ticket prices, but certainly not ridership figures, as this information is commercially sensitive and therefore not available through public sources. If you are referring to ridership figures provided in VIA's Annual Reports, then these figures unfortunately aggregate multiple routes and the transition from M-O-T trains (which were - or in the case of train 51: still are - reported as part of "Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto") to Q-M-O trains (which are reported as "Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa") makes it difficult to analyze any ridership trends below the "Corridor East" (i.e. anything Corridor east of Toronto) level...

Other than deriving implausible conclusions from data which was never presented to you, your mistake is that frequency doesn't matter much to tourist or remote markets, while it is an integral element of the competitiveness in intercity markets...

You are right that VIA's mandate (unlike say, Amtrak's) is not to make money; yet (just like any government agency), it is expected to fulfill its mandates in a resourceful manner which protects the interests of the taxpayers (i.e. of the society as a whole and not just of those individuals who demand its services)...

I cannot remember which one it was, but it showed that the leg that goes Toronto - Ottawa had lower ridership than Toronto - Montreal. I am not digging through 400 pages if you cannot follow along.

The italicized paragraph Is irrelevant as a daily service is not aimed at them, but those that may take a bus or plane or car. Let's say you need to get from Thunder Bay to Toronto. You can use a variety of methods If you are in a place like Oba, which, even driving would be a challenge. By having a reliable train, you could potentially take it, especially for shopping trips or for medical reasons. You do know that there are some medical reasons that may make flying more of a challenge, and a bus is too rough of a ride.

The Bold paragraph Actually sounds like you understand that VIA could do almost anything as long as they show it protects the interest of the taxpayer. I would think serving the large cities outside of the Corridor could be argued as protecting the interest of the taxpayers.

#7 About finding viable intercity corridors outside the Quebec-Windsor Corridor

We've already discussed in the third part of this post that apart from Edmonton-Calgary, the size and position of the population centers along every single of the routes you list west of Winnipeg is inferior to that of any Corridor route (even Sarnia-Toronto) and would thus make it difficult to even justify one service per day. Given that one train per day could never justify the investments required to make travel times remotely competitive with driving or taking a bus (if one existed), what is the point of discussing such routes? And if Saskatoon (295 k), Regina (236 k), and Lethbridge (117 k) are too small and too distant from other population centers to become viable as termini for intercity rail services, why do we need to discuss Thunder Bay (121 k, but much more remote than Lethbridge) Saulte Ste Marie (98 k), North Bay (70 k) or Kenora (15 k)?

Let me ask a different question. Let's say you keep the Canadian as is; for tourists. Let's also say you have daily service between Vancouver and Winnipeg, severing both the southern (CP) and northern (CN) routes, what would make sense for a daily between Winnipeg and Toronto? A route through Northern Ontario's biggest cities like Thunder Bay (Largest city in NWO), SSM and North Bay would make sense as those cities, people would go to places like Sudbury or down to Toronto for various reasons. Kenora makes sense due to the fact that the CP line is the most direct route and passes through there.

#9 About expanding transcontinental VIA services

There is no demand for buses. Just like there is no demand for trains. Except for transport enthusiasts and tourists with a strong preference for a particular mode of transport, bus transport or rail transport are not needs - mobility is. I'm not saying "everything should be buses", what I'm asking is (and I'm asking it all the HSR, Maglev or Hyperloop enthusiasts/groupies I argue on Social Media or in real life with) "What is the problem you are trying to fix?"; because a doctor is more likely to prescribe the appropriate medicine if he first listens to the patient describing his symptoms...

The sentence I highlighted above is actually a perfect representation of your habit of proposing a solution without understanding the problem: If you have to transport 2,000 commuters, then choosing a 12-car bi-level GO train (still with almost 2000 seats the largest-capacity-vehicle-by-seat-count I've ever seen, despite having been in Japan) surely wins on any count (economic/environmental/speed) over transporting the same crowd with individual buses; however, if you only have 20-30 passengers traveling the same way, a 40-seater highway bus wins on all these counts over transporting the same amount of people with a train hauled by a 3,000 hp locomotive and frequently slowed down by poor track maintenance and intense freight traffic.

Climate change is a powerful argument to highlight the urgency of changing our transportation priorities. Nevertheless, abusing it to justify ideological biases does a severe disservice to the existential task of preserving our livelihood, as this abuse (as well-intended as it might be) will be ruthlessly exploited by the very climate change deniers you suspect me (though at least with a big question mark, as it seems) to be part of...

I would rather argue that your trains-are-good-therefore-buses-are-evil bias is the single-biggest obstacle in allowing yourself in being educated why your ideas would only work under circumstances which are unfortunately very unlikely to materialize within the next few decades and that you certainly are part of those who lack historic context to sufficiently understand the problems in the complexity in which they are discussed here...

You bring up a lot of strong, but naive arguments. If there is no need for a bus, then the planes between those cities would also be empty. People without a train would not automatically ride a bus. They likely have a car. And those people who the bus may be suited for, the ones that don't have much money, they drive a crappy car Most of our cites in Canada are car centric. We need to show the people that a service exists and can be reliable. Being 12+ hours late is not reliable, and would not draw people.

The first thing that needs to be fixed is a law punishing CN/CP for Via being held up and becoming late. No new routes will be successful if they cannot stay on schedule.

As for climate change, science does not care what you think. Neither does it care what I think.

I cannot remember which one it was, but it showed that the leg that goes Toronto - Ottawa had lower ridership than Toronto - Montreal. I am not digging through 400 pages if you cannot follow along.

Even if Toronto-Montreal is overall more popular than Toronto-Ottawa (T-O is more popular on Canada Day weekend at least), I'm not sure why it matters. HFR would have all three cities on a single line.
Toronto-Ottawa, the segment itself is more popular. However some trains on Toronto-Ottawa continue onto Montreal (because it's less expensive, and people have time to kill). This makes ridership on specific destination pairs difficult to calculate (keep in mind that trains do stop enroute unlike planes).

On an unrelated side note, VIA is deadheading entire train cars in SWO and saying that the train is sold out or almost sold out with only Q fares available. It's kind of ridiculous how they can justify this as being benefitial to the taxpayer.

First, I wish you would be more measured in your responses. I specifically said in my post that I as not arguing for any specific pair that I listed, but rather a service model under which such services would be evaluated.

I think you are a very knowledgeable poster, but you do let your passion get the better of you, you want to win arguments you aren't even having!

That said, I think you're too quick dismissive of some city pairs. Again, its not that I'm advocating for them, but rather than I think they merit careful study to consider what options may be appropriate; and that there is at least some need to be fulfilled in some manner by public transport (it may well be a bus); but its a need not being met today.

You're quick to look at say Kenora-TBay and think about how small Kenora is; here's what I'm looking at.

Kenora is the hub community for about 70,000 in its area of north-western Ontario; it has the hospital, high school, community college etc. Accordingly it needs to be seen as 70,000.

Second, still being relatively small, many in the community travel for MRIs/Surgeries to eithe TBay or Winnipeg and the province actually provides a travel grant to cover these costs.

This travel pattern also holds for university studies and some employment.

The distance between TBay and Kenora is just over 400km.

The only and only bus trip that comes up takes a whopping 8 hours to traverse that section; clearly not a reasonable travel time, nor competitive w/the car in the least.

This is where examining the alternatives comes in. I'm not suggesting a 5-car loco-hauled VIA train makes sense.

It may be a revised bus route, but it also may make sense to look at 2-car DMU that makes no more than 1 intermediate stop, providing sufficient track speeds are attainable with out excessive capital investment.

The same sort of review is required of a host of different routes that I think you are simply too dismissive of; because you tire of what you see as rail-fan arguments rather that credible analysis.

That is surely fair in many scenarios. But it is equally fair, unless you can correct me on this point, that VIA hasn't studied most of the City-pair routes in any detail, in a generation or more.

Its also true that in that time circumstances have changed (much lower rates of driver's licenses among young people, especially in big cities) and much worse traffic near those same centres, along with deteriorated bus services.

Many of these will doubtless not justify rail, and I wasn't advocating that; merely a well thought out solution, rather than reactionary inaction.

First, I wish you would be more measured in your responses. I specifically said in my post that I as not arguing for any specific pair that I listed, but rather a service model under which such services would be evaluated.

I think you are a very knowledgeable poster, but you do let your passion get the better of you, you want to win arguments you aren't even having!

That said, I think you're too quick dismissive of some city pairs. Again, its not that I'm advocating for them, but rather than I think they merit careful study to consider what options may be appropriate; and that there is at least some need to be fulfilled in some manner by public transport (it may well be a bus); but its a need not being met today.

You're quick to look at say Kenora-TBay and think about how small Kenora is; here's what I'm looking at.

Kenora is the hub community for about 70,000 in its area of north-western Ontario; it has the hospital, high school, community college etc. Accordingly it needs to be seen as 70,000.

Second, still being relatively small, many in the community travel for MRIs/Surgeries to eithe TBay or Winnipeg and the province actually provides a travel grant to cover these costs.

The only and only bus trip that comes up takes a whopping 8 hours to traverse that section; clearly not a reasonable travel time, nor competitive w/the car in the least.

This is where examining the alternatives comes in. I'm not suggesting a 5-car loco-hauled VIA train makes sense.

It may be a revised bus route, but it also may make sense to look at 2-car DMU that makes no more than 1 intermediate stop, providing sufficient track speeds are attainable with out excessive capital investment.

The same sort of review is required of a host of different routes that I think you are simply too dismissive of; because you tire of what you see as rail-fan arguments rather that credible analysis.

That is surely fair in many scenarios. But it is equally fair, unless you can correct me on this point, that VIA hasn't studied most of the City-pair routes in any detail, in a generation or more.

Its also true that in that time circumstances have changed (much lower rates of driver's licenses among young people, especially in big cities) and much worse traffic near those same centres, along with deteriorated bus services.

Many of these will doubtless not justify rail, and I wasn't advocating that; merely a well thought out solution, rather than reactionary inaction.
Sorry to say this, but that 2 car RDC is going to be stuck waiting on sidings for a long time while freight trains pass on the single track mainline.

The Northlander was a 3 car train. It was shutdown not because of not being used, but because the province wanted to save money. In fact, ridership had been steadily growing on it to the point where the last year, and even the last run, it had 5 cars on it.

If someone i giving up their car in Thunder Bay, or Regina to cut down on their carbon footprint, what method of travel would you suggest to them to keep their carbon footprint down?

Sorry to say this, but that 2 car RDC is going to be stuck waiting on sidings for a long time while freight trains pass on the single track mainline.

That is why we need a federal government who will make regulations that prevent this. Passenger trains should have priority.

Back