News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 644     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

VIA Rail

Sarnia has been effectively cut off by transit from the rest of the province over the years. The 2nd trip that was cut was fairly well used, despite it only being a 2 car train.

I took the 7pm back to kw a number of times in my student years and first few working years before I got a car. Much more convenient than the 6am train they have now.

Sarnia has been effectively cut off by transit from the rest of the province over the years. The 2nd trip that was cut was fairly well used, despite it only being a 2 car train.

I took the 7pm back to kw a number of times in my student years and first few working years before I got a car. Much more convenient than the 6am train they have now.

Was there ever a market for Sarnia-Windsor travel (by any form of public transport?)

I see there is rail link of sorts though it gets a bit wonky after Wallaceburg, heading over towards Chatham.........

Was there ever a market for Sarnia-Windsor travel (by any form of public transport?)

I see there is rail link of sorts though it gets a bit wonky after Wallaceburg, heading over towards Chatham.........

That is a CSX line. It is out-of-service between Wallaceburg and Chatham but as far as I know is still in place (I think the municipality bought it). No idea about the travel patterns or market between Sarnia and Windsor.

That is a CSX line. It is out-of-service between Wallaceburg and Chatham but as far as I know is still in place (I think the municipality bought it). No idea about the travel patterns or market between Sarnia and Windsor.
What is the last year a bus connection (let alone: train connection) was offered between Windsor and Sarnia (pop. 70k)? Maybe that and the absence of a direct highway (though I-94 would probably still be more direct) gives us an idea of the travel patterns...

What is the last year a bus connection (let alone: train connection) was offered between Windsor and Sarnia (pop. 70k)? Maybe that and the absence of a direct highway (though I-94 would probably still be more direct) gives us an idea of the travel patterns...

I'm not sure what it is...........or 'should be'.........

But since Sarnia lacks a University and Windsor has one, I see a logical connection (of some kind, not necessarily rail) as probably sensible.

Windsor, esp. after the new hospital is built will also have vastly greater healthcare services, as well as better shopping.

Perhaps the Sarnia-London connection is better suited to meeting those types of needs. (they appear to be about equidistant).

The major University for Sarnia is Western. My graduating class went there or stayed local and went to Lambton College.

I went to Windsor two times in the 21 years I lived near Sarnia. Maybe not typical, but not something that is done in any regularity.

The major University for Sarnia is Western. My graduating class went there or stayed local and went to Lambton College.

I went to Windsor two times in the 21 years I lived near Sarnia. Maybe not typical, but not something that is done in any regularity.

I suspect that the reality of the demand is that you'd get much better results from getting people to take (much more frequent) trains and transfer in London than trying to make a dedicated service viable.

The problem with Windsor-Sarnia is that the fastest route between the two cities is through the US. It adds about 45 minutes to the drive to stay in Canada. This makes a public service, which would likely have to remain in the country, difficult to be competitive. The two cities are a little over an hour apart on I-94, but a public bus would likely be well over 2 hours each way.

The problem with Windsor-Sarnia is that the fastest route between the two cities is through the US. It adds about 45 minutes to the drive to stay in Canada.
I've driven more than 45 minutes out of my way to avoid a bad border crossing before. That seems optimistic. For that 45-minute savings, what border traverse times are you assuming - I'd think that would be virtually instantaneous.

I just looked it up on google maps - which I believe takes border times into it's calculation.

Yes - border crossing wait times could effect it. Outside of major holidays however it's typically pretty manageable.

Weren't they trying to launch RDC service on that line?
I don't know how serious it was, but yes, VIA was talking about RDCs from London to Sarnia. Seems like a good idea.

In fact, I'm wondering if the best things for Southern Ontario in the short term might be to look at the network as a core Toronto - Windsor with everything else handled either by GO or RDCs operating out of London (basically I'm contemplating pulling VIA through service on the North Main Line, but adding Sarnia - London and London - Kitchener and possibly London - Hamilton trips. The key thing though would be organizationally shifting toward RDCs and crews based in London, and better integrating with GO schedules. This seems like a service pattern that would hold up VERY well if we actually get HSR.

They finally sent a cycling plan to me.
VIA Rail Cycling Plan.jpg

Last edited:
Watch this closely, it portends the 'waters' for VIA HFR investment:
Virgin Trains USA launches IPO
30 Jan 2019

USA: Private sector inter-city rail project promoter Virgin Trains USA announced an initial public offering of 28·3 million shares of common stock on January 30. The expected price is between $17 and $19 per share.
The shares are to be listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market. Prior to the start of trading, Virgin Trains USA LLC would be converted to a Delaware corporation named Virgin Trains USA Inc. Virgin Trains USA was launched in November, when Virgin Group announced an agreement to make a minority investment in inter-city rail business Brightline, which is transitioning to the Virgin Trains USA brand.
After the offering and concurrent private placements, private equity funds managed by an affiliate of Fortress Investment Group would own approximately 81·6% of the common stock, or 79·5% if the underwriters’ over-allotment option is fully exercised. A Virgin Group affiliate has agreed to purchase less than 2% of the shares outstanding following the offering.
Barclays, JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley are acting as lead book-running managers. Additional book-running managers are BofA Merrill Lynch and Allen & Company LLC, and co-managers are JMP Securities, Raymond James and Stephens Inc.
‘Too long to drive, too short to fly’
The Brightline service currently operates between Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach in Florida, with plans to expand to Orlando and Tampa.
Virgin Rail USA has also agreed to acquire the XpressWest project to develop a rail corridor connecting Las Vegas with southern California, and hopes to begin construction this year for completion by Q4 2022 or Q1 2023. The development costs would be funded with the net proceeds from the offering and/or other debt or equity financings.
Virgin Trains USA said it intends the Florida and Las Vegas services to generate ‘meaningful’ profits and to be a scalable model for expansion in other congested ‘too long to drive, too short to fly’ inter-city corridors between highly-populated cities 300 to 500 km apart.
https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/virgin-trains-usa-launches-ipo.html

Back