News   Apr 25, 2024
 252     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 807     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 813     0 

VIA Rail

The Youtube video shows the interiors having open, doorless overhead luggage racks. sure hope TC was consulted and approved.

Other than that, looks cool so far.

- Paul

PS: The video renders appear to show the seats lined up with windows and window pillars reasonably well. Hope that proves true. Seats that align to the pillars, and not the windows, are a real downer for me.

Last edited:
Just read the specs, but seemed to have omitted the ability to operate on electrified rail, as per their original procurement requirements:

"More fuel-efficient, Tier 4 Diesel engines, with the option to operate on electrified rail infrastructure as it becomes available. "

Is this off the table now?

Just read the specs, but seemed to have omitted the ability to operate on electrified rail, as per their original procurement requirements:

"More fuel-efficient, Tier 4 Diesel engines, with the option to operate on electrified rail infrastructure as it becomes available. "

Is this off the table now?

My understanding of the RFP is that if electrification occurs, either new locomotives will be needed, or existing ones will need to be converted. The wording was quite vague in the RFP, but I assume that it met these requirements somehow.

These trains look like the ones built for Brightline in Florida that are in service now. They were built in California as Tier 4.

From Google
1544645472100.png

These trains look like the ones built for Brightline in Florida that are in service now. They were built in California as Tier 4.

From Google
View attachment 167025

Biggest difference is that the VIA ones have a plow on the front for snow, and instead of running loco + cars + loco, the VIA ones have loco + cars + cab car.

Biggest difference is that the VIA ones have a plow on the front for snow, and instead of running loco + cars + loco, the VIA ones have loco + cars + cab car.
Since Brightline only runs in southern Florida that doesn't require snowplow, compare to VIA that will need it. Can't remember why Brightline went to power both ends, other than speed. Having a cab car at one end is the right thing to do just like GO and Europe does. High speed trains have power both ends in Europe.

The nose cone is slightly different from the Brightline units, in that it doesn't dip below the under frame at the very front. I also notice that the plows look a bit more substantial than those found on the US Chargers. I assume this is probably because of snow, although I did recently hear that California does not like the regular plow design (because it doesn't offer enough protection from debris on the tracks).

Back