News   Jul 12, 2024
 959     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 838     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 341     0 

VIA Rail

Eighteen trips daily, but only ten on the north shore route? Fifty minutes travel time difference? And likely a 30 minute transfer (giving some leeway for the transfer, because there will be no option to hold trains for connections) between stations? Makes me think that for many travellers, it will be just as convenient to wait for the next train from Gare Central. CN's Drummondville line is not that heavily used. Quite a bone thrown to the North Shore, but no real benefit to travellers coming from beyond Montreal.

I like the idea of running the North Shore Line directly into Trudeau airport, but if that's the plan then build a new line parallel to the 520 and have the terminus right in the airport, similar to UP.

- Paul

Reactions: jys
What about this: yes, have your REM interchange station to get to Central, but continue the services through to Dorval.

Wouldn't work.

The REM interchange station is not at the junction, it's in a dead-end along the REM right-of-way. Via trains would need to backtrack to the CN line before continuing towards dorval

O11bK0I.png

hzJL1A3.png

Wouldn't work.

The REM interchange station is not at the junction, it's in a dead-end along the REM right-of-way. They would need to backtrack to the CN line to continue towards dorval
That makes life easy for the Caisse but it screws over VIA (and AMT) royally.

At present the Jonquiere trains route from Central to Taschereau Yard but then head east rather than west - presumably the thinking is that these trains will use this station too, but you still have to get those consists to and from MMC.

^ Interesting. For some reason I thought the consultation was already happening or there was a similar RFQ? Or am I mistaken?

^ Interesting. For some reason I thought the consultation was already happening or there was a similar RFQ? Or am I mistaken?

It was an invitation to come to Montreal to gauge market interest, and for VIA to see what was available to purchase. This seems similar, however seems to be a closer step to an actual tender. Looking forward to Budget 2018.

Eighteen trips daily, but only ten on the north shore route? Fifty minutes travel time difference? And likely a 30 minute transfer (giving some leeway for the transfer, because there will be no option to hold trains for connections) between stations? Makes me think that for many travellers, it will be just as convenient to wait for the next train from Gare Central. CN's Drummondville line is not that heavily used. Quite a bone thrown to the North Shore, but no real benefit to travellers coming from beyond Montreal.

I like the idea of running the North Shore Line directly into Trudeau airport, but if that's the plan then build a new line parallel to the 520 and have the terminus right in the airport, similar to UP.

- Paul

What is to stop VIA from using this branch line to get to the Quebec railway track? Alignment in red.

FYx5GJK.jpg

The new trains will be bi-directional so they can back out of Montreal Station and continue that way.

I realize that the track might be slow, but if I was a passenger I would take a slow crawl out of montreal vs having to transfer, with my luggage, on REM to another station.

They would also have to build a transfer track at one point, might require expropriation.

What is to stop VIA from using this branch line to get to the Quebec railway track? Alignment in red.

FYx5GJK.jpg

Multiple problems with your proposal.

1. Missing connections: The tracks to reach the Port from the north shore no longer exist. Also, Central Station can't be reached from the Port of Montreal tracks

AIpJyf7.png
LOGmsyb.png

2. CPR, the Port of Montreal and CNR most definitely don't want passenger trains on these tracks of theirs.

3. Routing trains through the Old Port is not practical at all. Trains crawling through there need human security presence at pretty much each crossing.

And despite that there are several accidents.

https://globalnews.ca/news/635134/woman-in-critical-condition-after-run-over-by-train-in-old-port/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/amphibus-train-collision-old-port-1.3798282

Last edited:

Doing transit planning from a map is never a good idea (look at Tory's transit plans!). Having trains run along the Montreal waterfront is a total non-starter.

The real question is: How many current passengers take VIA from Quebec City to/from Toronto direct? Even if speeded up a bit, it would be a long trip and one maybe better done by air.

The real question is: How many current passengers take VIA from Quebec City to/from Toronto direct?

It's not just about Quebec City-Toronto, it's also about Quebec City-Ottawa, Trois-Rivières-Dorval, Laval-Toronto, etc.

Even if speeded up a bit, it would be a long trip and one maybe better done by air.

There's also the problem that there is no transit service between Quebec City and its airport (a $40 cab/$25 uber is the only option).

I still believe the REM connection from A40 to Central Station will be much faster than the quite long detour around Mont-Royal.

CDPQ advertises a travel time of < 10-15 minutes and the REM will directly bring people at the station.

I was not a fan of the REM and how it would preclude VIA from using the tunnel, but I would rather have it with a HFR than to have the current VIA service.

Ultimately, I would still rather see a shared tunnel with PTC to allow for multiple Metro connection (Laval at De La Concorde station, Mtl at Bonaventuee). I doubt this will happen unfortunately.

The way that the tunnel is being handed over to a private company is terrible for an integrated transit system in Montreal. A commuter line is apparently being cut off from downtown access, forcing a transfer onto REM, giving them business that they wouldn't otherwise have. Same with Via's proposed line. Something about this whole thing smells off.

Presumably Via's existing southern route through Drummondville would continue to operate. I could see a lot of people opt to take that route instead of the new one.

It simply is not a step forward to have connecting services that don't all connect at a single unified depot. Have we not learned anything from the past? Or from other cities (London and Paris being two remarkable examples)?

I wonder what would happen in Toronto if, say, we declared that HFR has to terminate at North Toronto because the Don Branch is needed for the DRL.

Boring another track under Mount Royal for REM can't be impossible - the first tunnel is there and the Metro is too. VIA only needs a single bore, although a two track tunnel would be more foresighted. It's not even as long a distance as the Scarboro subway extension.

- Paul

Back