News   Apr 24, 2024
 980     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

VIA Rail

initiating the replacement amenities
The expropriation process is literally how you do this. Giving expropriation notice happens either when earlier attempts hit an impasse, or continued delay will impact the critical path therefor making expropriation cheaper than any other option. It is in everyones best interest to settle just to get it done, the government/proponent and informed clients know this.

It is pretty common for expropriations to drag on for years. Of course, the case doesn't have to be concluded for the government/proponent to take the land. They can take the land, and even pay for it, without the claim being final - and then at the end of the process the owner gets the rest of the money/costs.

^ No doubt VIA would win the expropriation, and the opponents may privately acknowledge that, but “pick your battles” applies, and this is politics after all.

The government will likely want to get credit for helping the communities (and the user associations, which as I noted are pretty organised and may reach further than one may imagine) replace the Trans Canada trail.

Then there is Sharbot Lake... where the one building that most encroaches the row is the town’s medical clinic.

Imagine the headline - “VIA proposal leaves town without hiking trails and medical access”. Sure, the expropriation will make them whole financially. but positioning as partners up front and initiating the replacement amenities delivers much better photo ops. And the government assumes the risk anyways, and the land purchase money will be spent by Ottawa anyways. And no one wants the project delayed by squabbles.

Makes sense to me to get out ahead of all his and bring good news.

- Paul

Exactly! Given that we are likely very close to an election, the Liberals will want to make friends, not enemies.

Do we have any idea when services in the corridor will return?
Even without any knowledge of the most recent plans, I would expect that service levels (i.e. frequencies) will continue to get scaled up gradually as demand for intercity travel increases, just as they have last June (on the Central Corridor), July (QMO), September (entire Corridor) and this April (Corridor East)...

Turns out the next frequency increase will be on June 22, with trains 40, 66, 69 and 643 (as the third frequency on MTRL-TRTO and OTTW-TRTO) operating daily rather than Friday-Mondays only:

"The following 4 trains: 66, 69, 643, 40 will resume daily service (7 days per week) starting on June 22, 2021."

So maybe my pipedream wasn't so crazy after all?

capture-jpg.280549

Exo being towards commuters who will continue teleworking is just about doomed in all cases. They don't own much tracks either, cost a fortune to operate. I don't see much business cases to be honest. It would be better just to give the service to VIA and the ARTM continue the subsidy.

Back