News   Apr 18, 2024
 388     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

VIA Rail

Would VIA be responsible for busing people from the stations to the loading ramps?

Properly VIA would have a combined station (similar to Amtrak's Auto Train stations) that they could load the cars and have a platform to allow the passengers to board. For the purpose of a trial, they could bus people from an existing terminal to an existing station.

I'm not convinced that it would work well in western Canada but I have often thought that having an overnight Auto Train from Montreal (probably the south shore) to somewhere in western New Brunswick (depending which route is chosen) could work well. One of the key reasons people drive to the Maritimes is so that they can have a car to tour around. This would be an efficient alternative if it was competitively priced with the combination of flying and renting a car or driving while overnighting half way.

Not sure if there would be enough demand for VIA could make a go of it though, but it could be worth investigating. Adding onboard car charging (so that you arrive at your destination fully charged) could make it especially attractive (drive to Montreal Friday afternoon and wake up in New Brunswick Saturday morning refreshed with your car fully charged ready to start touring).

I didn't realize it had been unsuccessfully tried before. With choppy logistics, it is unknown if folks would be willing to navigate them (getting the vehicle to x, finding their own way to the station, etc.) and bear the cost. Different scenario but a couple of years ago a neighbour moved back west. They had one of their vehicles picked up at their door by a tilt bed, taken to somewhere in the GTA, loaded onto a train, delivered to Edmonton then trucked to their new door. it was there when they arrived. I don't remember the cost but it seemed fairly reasonable in the whole scheme of things.

I don't really see the point of an 'auto train' from Montreal to western NB, but I suppose that is personal driving preferences. Beyond the fact that there are probably no marshalling facilities in western NB (Edmunston?), I don't really see much of an advantage to save ~5.5 hours of driving. By the time I navigated my way into the city I could be in Drummondville on Rte 20, and once outside the greater Mtl area, I don't much mind the drive eastward.

Anyway, it was just a musing based on a TV show.

^Amtrak’s Auto Train works because they can fill a whole train with drivers, and spread the terminal and equipment cost across that entire trainload of fares. Without that steady daily volume, the economics of the terminals would be iffy.

- Paul

Certainly Amtrak’s Auto Train has a huge advantage in that it connects one of the most populated regions in the country (the northeast corridor) with one if the most popular vacation destinations (Florida).

Interestingly the Auto-Train was originally started in 1971 by a private company (Auto-Train Corporation) and it was very successful, so they created a second route between Florida and Louisville, Kentucky. The second route was a total failure that bankrupted Auto-Train Corporation in 1981. Amtrak revived the service 2 years later on the original Lorton and Sanford route.

Certainly Amtrak’s Auto Train has a huge advantage in that it connects one of the most populated regions in the country (the northeast corridor) with one if the most popular vacation destinations (Florida).

Interestingly the Auto-Train was originally started in 1971 by a private company (Auto-Train Corporation) and it was very successful, so they created a second route between Florida and Louisville, Kentucky. The second route was a total failure that bankrupted Auto-Train Corporation in 1981. Amtrak revived the service 2 years later on the original Lorton and Sanford route.

Any route that has multiple stops is an auto train killer. It takes hours to onload/offload cars. Not only that but the final destination has to be far away enough to justify too, or why bother bringing the car instead of driving it. Finally it has to be a car friendly place where you would want a car, or better need a car. No one would take the Auto Train to NYC, theres no point, having a car there is just a hassle.

Canada's general intolerance of road tolls and user fees for infrastructure is problematic. People love nothing more than to complain about the cost of transportation - GO fares, VIA ticket costs, 407 fees, airline costs, etc.

There isn't political support for projects that are user funded, which limits the amount of infrastructure that can be built overall.

Which is exactly why the CIB is needed. Easier to monetize infrastructure that is not publicly owned. But the sector has trouble building infrastructure. An infrastructure bank can bridge the gap.

Properly VIA would have a combined station (similar to Amtrak's Auto Train stations) that they could load the cars and have a platform to allow the passengers to board. For the purpose of a trial, they could bus people from an existing terminal to an existing station.
That's not an easy thing to resolve though. Technically, the nearest existing facility to Union would be the old piggyback ramps at Obico - and to be honest those haven't even been used in 20 years, and new equipment at the facility would have to be purchased. (Nevermind the fact that track would have to be relaid and that a lease would need to be signed with the current property owner.)

And ramps at Union would be a non-starter. If you wanted to have a single facility to handle everything the train would have to start and end at a new facility outside of downtown - with all of the resultant discussions about connectivity to the existing network.

Dan

That's not an easy thing to resolve though. Technically, the nearest existing facility to Union would be the old piggyback ramps at Obico - and to be honest those haven't even been used in 20 years, and new equipment at the facility would have to be purchased. (Nevermind the fact that track would have to be relaid and that a lease would need to be signed with the current property owner.)

And ramps at Union would be a non-starter. If you wanted to have a single facility to handle everything the train would have to start and end at a new facility outside of downtown - with all of the resultant discussions about connectivity to the existing network.

Dan
The question would be what origin-destination pairs in Canada would make the kind of huge difference that avoiding the I-95 does for AutoTrain passengers and could be better served by rail. If CP could offer an overnight trip from somewhere around Sudbury to somewhere east of Winnipeg, for piggyback trucks/trailers and AutoTrain, so you can go from the Prairies to southern Ontario it might be quite attractive, particularly in winter, but they'd have to be able to do it in one sleep to attract significant traffic off the highways (with dinner and breakfast, ~12 hours maximum acceptable running time?) which would require huge infrastructure investment and be a multi-billion-dollar gamble.

In the next decade, we're almost certainly going to see semi-autonomous electric-car-on-demand grow exponentially, replacing the need to bring your own last-mile vehicle for most destinations. The question will be how we manage to leverage the better physics and the opportunities for a better passenger experience of rail so people prefer higher-order public transport for the backbone of longer trips, allowing us to achieve much better land-use and use of public funds than a 12-lane traffic jam of AEVs on a new highway.

Any route that has multiple stops is an auto train killer. It takes hours to onload/offload cars.

It is only an auto train killer, if you allow cars to be onloaded/offloaded at the intermediary stops. While there are advantages to having it run as an express service, allowing passengers (not cars) to board/alit at intermediary stops could also work. It could also operate as a split service, with the auto train being coupled to another train for a portion of its route. While those options might save money/generate additional revenue, they have the disadvantage of slowing down the auto train, making it less competitive to driving.

Not only that but the final destination has to be far away enough to justify too, or why bother bringing the car instead of driving it.

Agreed. Google says the drive from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL is about 11.5 hours, where as the drives from Montreal to Fredericton, St. John and Moncton are 8:10, 8:20 and 9:40 respectively. Not sure if that is enough to warrant an auto train or not.

Finally it has to be a car friendly place where you would want a car, or better need a car. No one would take the Auto Train to NYC, theres no point, having a car there is just a hassle.

Agreed. That is why I said the Maritimes. It is definitely a destination that you would want a car.

If CP could offer an overnight trip from somewhere around Sudbury to somewhere east of Winnipeg, for piggyback trucks/trailers and AutoTrain, so you can go from the Prairies to southern Ontario it might be quite attractive, particularly in winter, but they'd have to be able to do it in one sleep to attract significant traffic off the highways (with dinner and breakfast, ~12 hours maximum acceptable running time?) which would require huge infrastructure investment and be a multi-billion-dollar gamble.
Which would also require CP to get back into the passenger business.

How did this evolve into a piggyback service?

I was just making a comparison between the Canadian and a similar multi-day Australian cross-country passenger run. It wasn't mentioned in the show but I assumed the autorack service was end-to-end only.

Where in Montreal is Obico? The only reference I see for Obico is in Toronto.

Optimally, as I said in my original post, it would be on the south shore to allow you to bypass downtown, but both CN and CP have Auto Rack facilities in Côte Saint-Luc yard (CP's seems unused according to Google Maps). CN also seems to have an Auto Rack facility in Moncton.

By Union I assume you mean Central Station and I agree and never suggested that.

Where in Montreal is Obico? The only reference I see for Obico is in Toronto.

Optimally, as I said in my original post, it would be on the south shore to allow you to bypass downtown, but both CN and CP have Auto Rack facilities in Côte Saint-Luc yard (CP's seems unused according to Google Maps). CN also seems to have an Auto Rack facility in Moncton.

By Union I assume you mean Central Station and I agree and never suggested that.
I think it’s clear they’re talking about Toronto

^And in any event, Obico was levelled some years back, so it no longer has a ramp to offer.

The ramp used by CN back in the Car-Go-Rail days was actually close to Lansdowne Ave on the Weston/Barrie corridor. Long gone.

- Paul

^And in any event, Obico was levelled some years back, so it no longer has a ramp to offer.

This seems rather tangential to VIA, but in the spirit of being useful........

Obico:

1620180522933.png

A closer look: 9looks like at least some of the rails are still there, albeit buried under gravel/ballast.

But if they're in the same condition as the still visible track beside CANPA, I don't imagine they could be redeemed.

1620180582485.png

Side note: Given the discussion over auto-trains.................interesting current use.

Back