News   Apr 18, 2024
 417     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

VIA Rail

Thanks, I would certainly trust the horse's mouth more than a media report. The exact quote for the tunnel section from your reference seems to be:

2 min 30 in peak hour
5 min off-peak hours

I guess it depends how they define "peak hour" but avoiding that period should make it easy for VIA to use the tunnel.

Right. But why would you suggest they can avoid rush hour. That would probably be their highest fare time slots.

I will reply with a quote from the post I referenced:

During peak, if VIA's 18 departures a day are split between the north and south shores, VIA could have most of the peak period arrival and departures use the south shore and thus don't need the tunnel.

Not optimal, but better than your suggestion of VIA building a second terminal station (presumably north of Mount Royal).

REM interlining is just way too difficult. Those are some tight numbers to work with. Having two stations is not ideal. But Montreal wouldn't be the first city in the world to have two intercity rail stations.

Also, 10 trains on the northern route seems low. They could probably run this route hourly with at least 15 departures a day.

I agree it would be optimal if they can use the tunnel during peak periods (without having to enlarge it for a third track). After all, there would likely only need to be 1 VIA train per "peak hour" (south/west bound in am and north/east bound in pm since the need to depart Montreal during the am peak and arrive during the pm peak is minimal and can be avoided). That is where my question of what their definition of 'peak hour' comes into play. If it is truly only 1 hour long, then it should be easy to avoid (they could have a train just before and/or one just after). If it is over 2 hours long, not so much.

Their image on Page 10, implies they are keeping the new colour scheme under wraps.
1615168562492.png

But reality is that they haven't finished painting (or adding decals), from this photo someone took today. Literally a cover-up! :)
1615168732788.png

But reality is that they haven't finished painting (or adding decals), from this photo someone took today. Literally a cover-up! :)

VIA may or may not care. More likely, they are under orders. I wonder if anyone has explained to the Minister's office, or the PMO, about the rail enthusiast photography grapevine thing. It's a long way from California to Ottawa.

Kind of like when the auto makers are road testing new models.... if anyone has any illusions that the paint scheme will stay secret until the train makes it to the photo op in Ottawa.....;-)

Or maybe the wraps will come later, maybe even after testing - lots of locos run around in primer until there is time and space in the paint shop.

- Paul

Kind of like when the auto makers are road testing new models.... if anyone has any illusions that the paint scheme will stay secret until the train makes it to the photo op in Ottawa.....;-)

Or maybe the wraps will come later, maybe even after testing - lots of locos run around in primer until there is time and space in the paint shop.

As it says on pg.7 of the document you linked to:

• First 2 Trains are Test Trains, may not be 100% complete at delivery
    • Focus on items critical for testing

The vinyl wrap likely isn't critical for testing, and they will probably want them looking fresh at the start of revenue service in Q3 2022. After winter 2021/22 testing is complete, they will likely do a grand reveal with the new livery (possibly with trainset #3). If I had to guess, trainsets #1-3 will be wrapped at MMC and trainsets #4-32 will be delivered wrapped.

Who knows, for testing they might add a camouflage wrap, similar to the auto industry, though probably not (the black and grey is likely good enough).

As it says on pg.7 of the document you linked to:

The vinyl wrap likely isn't critical for testing, and they will probably want them looking fresh at the start of revenue service in Q3 2022. After winter 2021/22 testing is complete, they will likely do a grand reveal with the new livery (possibly with trainset #3). If I had to guess, trainsets #1-3 will be wrapped at MMC and trainsets #4-32 will be delivered wrapped.

Who knows, for testing they might add a camouflage wrap, similar to the auto industry, though probably not (the black and grey is likely good enough).

Honestly, I'd be happy to just take the black and grey. That look alone is already a huge upgrade over the existing fleet. It looks simple and sleek.

The vinyl wrap likely isn't critical for testing, and they will probably want them looking fresh at the start of revenue service in Q3 2022.

Some years back I watched from the Islington Ave bridge as a brand new GO MP40 was fired up for the first time after delivery. Something wasn't right, and the unit disgorged multiple gallons of fuel and oil out the exhaust stack - all over its fresh paint.

Better to save the wraps for after those initial "burps".

- Paul

Back