News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

VIA Rail

If via purchased new rolling stock for HFR between tor-ott-mon, maybe they could send over a few extra p42dcs/f40s with LRC sets for at least a service between Edmonton and Calgary.

I'm riding a refurbished LRC car from Oakville to London as we speak - they're really nice. It would be weird to see LRC equipment operating in the prairies, as were not used to that. I've only seen an LRC car west of the Rockies once. If I can find the picture I'll post it here.

I'm riding a refurbished LRC car from Oakville to London as we speak - they're really nice. It would be weird to see LRC equipment operating in the prairies, as were not used to that. I've only seen an LRC car west of the Rockies once. If I can find the picture I'll post it here.

For sure.

Are you riding a "fully" refirbushed LRC? Some of them (for now) only have seats with the new fabric, while others have the brand new leather seats in economy with the 50/50 layout.

For sure.

Are you riding a "fully" refirbushed LRC? Some of them (for now) only have seats with the new fabric, while others have the brand new leather seats in economy with the 50/50 layout.

It's the new new one. Leather seats are real comfy, and the cars seem much smoother and quieter than the older LRC cars. Looks good on the inside too.

The current consist I'm riding is also massive for VIA - 11 cars long with two locos, one mid train. It's mostly full of students heading back to Western after reading week. With a miracle, I'll see some RDCs when we get to London too.

It's the new new one. Leather seats are real comfy, and the cars seem much smoother and quieter than the older LRC cars. Looks good on the inside too.

The current consist I'm riding is also massive for VIA - 11 cars long with two locos, one mid train. It's mostly full of students heading back to Western after reading week. With a miracle, I'll see some RDCs when we get to London too.

Impressive. All LRC?

Impressive. All LRC?

Yeah all LRC, and many had the new paint job. Also both locos are F40s. I've noticed the trains are typically very long whenever Western has a break, and students all are leaving/returning at the same time. Nice to see VIA accomindate that.

Neat. See if you can get a picture when you get off!

Sorry for the quality - When the train unloads it is an unholy fight to the death to get a cab/Uber. To provide some scale, the train took up the entire length of the platform in London. It also took 5 minutes to walk through the station to the kiss & ride area - absolute insanity.

BcCDZkX.jpg

ojUrq7K.jpg

I don't even remember riding VIA trains that are as long as GO trains!

Bodes well for bringing rapid transit to London. And eventually, even HSR.

I don't even remember riding VIA trains that are as long as GO trains!

Bodes well for bringing rapid transit to London. And eventually, even HSR.

Speaking of HSR/HFR, any speculation that there will be reference to HFR between tor-ott-mon in the upcoming federal budget? VIA has started to push hard for this, and made public commitments, more or less.

Speaking of HSR/HFR, any speculation that there will be reference to HFR between tor-ott-mon in the upcoming federal budget? VIA has started to push hard for this, and made public commitments, more or less.

I certainly hope so. It would definitely fit into the "stimulus" mantra, and it would be something that would actually be federal jurisdiction, instead of simply writing a cheque for Provincial/Municipal projects.

Bop that worker with a Nerf foam bat.

"Wake up dude. We have a 3bn stimulus coming for a solid business plan. Now stop slacking off and get to work! This is real, this is not a drill. I don't care you say time estimate is 12 months, the deadline is March 30, 2016. No more golf course lunches for you. And meet Stan, your new overpaid overachieving coworker we just hired. I expect you to match his output. Workdays now begin at 7:00am from now on, buddy."

(Sound of a pen drop)

(Insert VIA and politics into your favourite TV series drama plot, to spice the moribund things up.)

Last edited:

Back