News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.5K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 583     1 

VIA Rail

Big #elxn2018 fireworks gala.

One exciting 150th anniversary blast of a show that even the Conservatives can't refuse.

Or will it be like one of those dissapointing Canada Day thunderstorm cancellations?

Metaphorically, I'm hoping it's a sunny 150th anniversary.

Yeah, that report, while it presents a lot of interesting selling points, and stresses VIA's efforts to manage effectively, is too Metrolinx for me.

First of all, it presents some tenuous claims, such as a 42% reduction in safety incidents. That statistic may be accurate, but what is VIA's actual contribution to that, compared to freight railways' efforts on education and enforcement ? 73% on-time performance is a good thing? Nothing about operating productivity, maintenance effectiveness, miles between breakdowns.

Second, it's written in very rich corporatespeak. "Sustainable Mobility"? "Forecastable Outcomes"? Gimme a break. How about "Better faster more frequent affordable trains"?

Lastly, it steps carefully around the question of money. This document may not be the place to outline any upcoming business case analyses, but one would think it would plant some seeds or cite some key parameters that may become important when that discussion takes place. Nothing about cost recovery, even. Life cycle for equipment?
Every type of report is written for a certain audience and this "Sustainable Mobility Report" is indeed similar to the Annual Report, just with a focus on environmental aspects. You may find the Corporate Plan more technical and thus better tailored to your information needs (after all, it's where VIA outlines its strategic direction to its shareholder, the Federal Government):

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/our-company/corporate-plan/Summary of the 2016-2020 Corporate Plan.pdf

But.... the debate begins and ends with the dollar. And with the current constraints, which is not a sustainable business environment.
Which is one of the things you will find discussed in the Corporate Plan (Executive Summary, p.2):
VIA Rail said:
Conclusion
VIA Rail can no longer function within its existing framework. The current relationship with freight rail operators no longer works as VIA Rail cannot control the fundamentals required to operate efficiently in a commercial manner in a competitive environment. No intercity passenger rail carrier among the G7 countries (and almost none in the G20), is burdened with the constraints and barriers faced by VIA Rail and as such, VIA Rail cannot thrive and bring the socio-economic benefits associated with passenger rail travel gained elsewhere in the world to Canada and to Canadians. Left unchanged, VIA Rail will become more costly and less relevant to Canadians. Ultimately, it will be unable to fulfil its mandate.

Last edited:
I wish VIA would start up a summer motorcycle program. I'd love to have my motorcycle and myself transported to a distant Ontario rail stop, then I ride around for a couple of days and get back on the train for the return to TO. They do this elsewhere.

http://splodzblogz.co.uk/2015/11/25/motorbike-tour-of-europe/

europe-tunnel02.jpg

If Amtrak can do it, I'd say VIA should give it a shot. Though Amtrak is just servicing Snowbirds who rarely see camber wear.

100_2123.JPG

Last edited:
Sad to read this:

In February, Via placed a bid for 12 RDCs – Rail Diesel Cars – that were offered for sale by Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART). These RDCs were built in the 1950s and were originally owned by Via. They were sold to DART in 1993 following the cuts to Via by the government of Brian Mulroney in 1990. Via placed a market-value offer but were outbid by a Vermont startup interested in developing regional rail services in and around Burlington.

Source: http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/shron-via-rails-fleet-is-obsolete-cant-we-do-better

I just came across an interesting article which suggests that there has not formed a consensus yet regarding the question of whether or not government investments into passenger rail infrastructure should be complemented by private funding by sharing risks and profits with private-sector investors, such as pension funds:

Globe and Mail said:
Case for Canada Infrastructure Bank ‘not compelling,’ researchers warn
BILL CURRY

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:43PM EDT

Last updated Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:54PM EDT

[...]

The bank is primarily aimed at convincing large institutional investors, such as pension funds, to invest in infrastructure projects in Canada. Many Canadian pension funds are already invested in projects such as airports in other countries but have been reluctant to make similar moves in Canada.

Proponents argue that an infrastructure bank would allow governments to transfer risks – such as debt, cost overruns and long-term maintenance – on to the private sector in exchange for a negotiated rate of return.

Conservative MP and deputy finance critic Dan Albas told the House Thursday the idea of the bank “scares the heck out of me,” because he said it will likely only fund projects in Canada’s largest cities.

“The Liberal government is borrowing money it does not have, at reduced rates, so that Canadian taxpayers can finance and subsidize high rates of return for private international investors,” he said.

[...]
Full article can be found here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-compelling-researchers-warn/article34898110/

Everyone knows why they're building the Infrastructure Bank. It's because politicians don't like to raise taxes. So instead they have to give the private sector high enough returns to get them to invest.

The Conservatives are just pissed they didn't push the idea. And if they were moderates instead of hard right, they've have jumped on this. They are right that the bank will favour large cities. That's exactly why I love it. The political parties have all been giving big cities the shaft. And now they won't even have any control as the bank makes it possible for the private sector to invest in infrastructure improvements. Big cities will get infrastructure. We'll pay a lot more for it, of course. But it'll get built.

Everyone knows why they're building the Infrastructure Bank. It's because politicians don't like to raise taxes. So instead they have to give the private sector high enough returns to get them to invest.

The Conservatives are just pissed they didn't push the idea. And if they were moderates instead of hard right, they've have jumped on this. They are right that the bank will favour large cities. That's exactly why I love it. The political parties have all been giving big cities the shaft. And now they won't even have any control as the bank makes it possible for the private sector to invest in infrastructure improvements. Big cities will get infrastructure. We'll pay a lot more for it, of course. But it'll get built.

I really despair at what we are doing to our children with this approach. But it is what it is.

VIA's inability to buy those Budd Cars back is a silver lining. Had they succeeded, it would have created one more reason why investing in a new fleet could be put off. The sooner we reach 'crisis' level, the sooner it will force the issue.

- Paul

My stomach dropped. Yeah those must have been for the Stratford-Toronto service I posted about a month or so back, and the other maritime services also discussed in this thread. Kinda embarrassing for a national carrier to be outbid by "a Vermont startup". Selfishly, I hope they go under and VIA can buy the RDC off them.

VIA offered a very fair price for the units and spare parts. The startup is an outfit backed by extremely deep pockets, and their offer was a bit insane, to be frank.

To be completely honest, we're likely to see those cars back on the market in a couple of years anyways.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hypothetical question. Could the current Corridor tracks tolerate hourly service if it was just twin car DMUs? Or even bi-hourly service?

Or is there just too much cargo traffic?

To the infrastructure, a two car train and a seven or eight car train look the same. So no, shorter consists would not help. The problem is the freight trains are now regularly two miles long, and there is no place to get them out of the way.
What would help a little is if the passenger trains could accelerate and decelerate faster, which DMUEMU is a bit better for than loco hauled trains...but a VIA 3 or 4 car train is pretty peppy.

- Paul

Back