News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.5K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 585     1 

VIA Rail

Yes, aimed at your level. How many characters left from 140?

Now, Salsa on the other hand I find to be a pretty sensible poster, most of the time.

Sure, he had the temerity to disagree w/one of my posts the other day, for which he shall never be forgiven. :D

But..... really, whenever he agrees w/me, which is quite often, he seems quite sensible.

I might add, while I'm not on twitter; and almost as prone as Steve to verbose posts....(not quite); I don't think concision is an inherent flaw.

In fairness to Steve; because I'm always fair. nfitz is out to lunch on this one.

Not to say the Ptbo routing is likely, but there has been ample, public, discussion of this route option by VIA itself. That nfitz somehow missed it.......
In fairness to Fitz, two (correction, three) regulars gave him thumbs up for that post. It was an unpopular thought at the time that anyone could do something not on the popular agenda, evidence to the contrary.

Steve arguing w/nfitz: karmic justice writ large for both!
Not sure how making a few comments about VIA's lack of an enabling Act is seen as arguing. I think Steve is mostly arguing with himself ...

Not to say the Ptbo routing is likely, but there has been ample, public, discussion of this route option by VIA itself. That nfitz somehow missed it.......
Missed what - we had a long discussion about it last year. It's no longer a secret that VIA is considering running HFR through Peterborough on the old ROW - and hasn't been for the best part of a year. There was a lot of reports last summer. You can probably find the discussion further up the thread.

I think I've been quite clear though - no one in their right mind would seriously consider trying to run passenger service on that old subdivision. There's no way that alignment can do anything close to the Toronto-Montreal travel times they currently have, without a massive infrastructure upgrade. It's one thing to go for frequent trains that aren't high speed, but going for frequent trains that are slower than ever, won't gain them ridership.

It's pretty clear that they've been sold a bill of goods, by some flim-flam man. I don't see it ever happening. I think that sooner or later a competent review of it will demonstrate the issues, and then they'll bury it, and we'll never hear about it again. The only one benefiting from this, is whoever is being paid to create this fiction.

Meanwhile, more years are lost, not doing what they need to do, and that's getting their own tracks alongside the CN mainline, to solve the freight issues. They need to revisit VIA Fast - in particular some of the smaller upgrade projects, like a Smith Falls to west of Kingston connection.

I think Steve is mostly arguing with himself ..
Amazing what that one word can invoke...whatever.

Not sure how making a few comments about VIA's lack of an enabling Act is seen as arguing.
"Enabling Act"? There was absolutely no mention of an enabling act or not.

It was about your claim for the route. Sold to them by a "Flim flam man"? The times and discussions made are all very detailed and by world class planners.

Here's what your post was in reply to, since neither you or Northern Lights bothered to examine the context:
alexanderglista said:
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on a few points here. I don't think the Peterborough routing is out just yet, based on the info we have.
Steve arguing w/nfitz: karmic justice writ large for both! LOL
The argument isn't with me, it's with VIA's present position and other posters.

I won't belabour the point. We're going to be finding out shortly.

Isn't crossing CN's palm with silver for works around Coteau a more immediate issue than stuff further south, given VIA's current bias toward frequency over raw speed?

Amazing what that one word can invoke...whatever.
Indeed - it was like a masterclass in angling.

"Enabling Act"? There was absolutely no mention of an enabling act or not.
My previous contribution to this thread before that was all about that. Not sure what you are referring to - that was a discussion over a year ago. Are you remembering old discussions but forgetting recent ones?

Very short on time, will comment in detail later, but just received this link in my email, and I suspect a Cdn take on this in the press shortly, make that a *Toronto* take, other systems in Canada are vastly ahead on this:
Key to Improving
Subway Service in New
York? Modern Signals

New York’s subway is struggling with old infrastructure and overcrowding.
The M.T.A.’s failure to modernize its signal system is a crucial example.

By EMMA G. FITZSIMMONSMAY 1, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

This applies to Cdn passenger rail too, and GO RER! Think Union Station as much as the subway when reading this.

VIA Rail Canada's 2017 Annual Public Meeting by webcast

We're all very well-versed in VIA things on this thread, lets all ask some really good questions!
This is an interesting new twist to PR for VIA, and one with next to no pitfalls, save for the likes of persons like me who'd ask far too political questions. But of course, they'd quietly not answer them!

I think this is at least in part due to the necessary vacuum of announcements from VIA lately. I'm sure a lot is going on behind the scenes, but nothing that can be shared with the public at this point.

Credit to them for doing this.

Pretty reports!

I like the improvements in lots of statistics, increasing ridership, increasing workforce, falling total GhG impact, etc.

And tempting dangles of the HFR carrot.

But I ponder, even worry, will this report be giftwrap on a nice full box of goodies -- or nearly empty box: I hope Feds are finally actually going to give HFR a good healthy proper funding push -- an Infrastructure Bank funding announcement of some kind. And full quality HxR type system -- 2½ hour Ottawa-Toronto -- and not a watered-down "3½ hour" permanently mini-improvement.

Last edited:
Pretty reports!

But I ponder, even worry, will this be giftwrap on a nice box or an empty box: I hope Feds are finally actually going to give HFR a good healthy push -- an Infrastructure Bank funding announcement of some kind. And full quality HxR type system -- 2½ hour Ottawa-Toronto -- and not a watered-down "3½ hour" mini-improvement.

Yeah, that report, while it presents a lot of interesting selling points, and stresses VIA's efforts to manage effectively, is too Metrolinx for me.

First of all, it presents some tenuous claims, such as a 42% reduction in safety incidents. That statistic may be accurate, but what is VIA's actual contribution to that, compared to freight railways' efforts on education and enforcement ? 73% on-time performance is a good thing? Nothing about operating productivity, maintenance effectiveness, miles between breakdowns.

Second, it's written in very rich corporatespeak. "Sustainable Mobility"? "Forecastable Outcomes"? Gimme a break. How about "Better faster more frequent affordable trains"?

Lastly, it steps carefully around the question of money. This document may not be the place to outline any upcoming business case analyses, but one would think it would plant some seeds or cite some key parameters that may become important when that discussion takes place. Nothing about cost recovery, even. Life cycle for equipment?

The takeaway for me is that VIA has some legitimate reasons to be proud of its progress as a managed organization, as an employer, and in its passenger experience strategy. That disarms critics in three key areas and reinforces its organizational credibility when it puts forward a business proposal. And, it is walking the Trudeau government line of unbridled optimism, by not dwelling on how unsustainable the current fleet and operating environment (ie tenancy on freight tracks) are.

But.... the debate begins and ends with the dollar. And with the current constraints, which is not a sustainable business environment.

- Paul

I hope Feds are finally actually going to give HFR a good healthy proper funding push -- an Infrastructure Bank funding announcement of some kind. And full quality HxR type system -- 2½ hour Ottawa-Toronto -- and not a watered-down "3½ hour" permanently mini-improvement.
If there is an announcement, I highly suspect it will be a large one. If it was going to be some token gesture, they would have done that already. There's a very large silence right now, but don't mistake that for inaction. Better everyone stay silent and get this right than do what Ontario's Del Duca does, announce dribs and drabs like a dripping tap. Investors don't like having the case argued in the press, and the InfraBank CEO has yet to be announced. It's yet to be determined if the HFR funding case will be decided pre or post InfraBank.

Btw: Been reading up on a lot of your CBTC posts, at this site and elsewhere. CBTC is a catch-phrase, of course, and one we're going to be hearing a lot more about again soon.

Last edited:

Back