News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 722     0 

VIA Rail

That being said, the current trains on the Corridor aren't even hitting their maximum speeds yet, and the focus should be first on creating dedicated trackage so that the current rolling stock Via has can actually hit its 99MPH speed limit.

Agree - also the current LRC rolling stock is now 30 years old. Its recent (ill-fated) overhaul did not address life extension issues. New rolling stock is needed.

I have been pretty impressed with the DMU's I have seen in the UK and Europe. No reason it can't be used here.

- Paul

Agree - also the current LRC rolling stock is now 30 years old. Its recent (ill-fated) overhaul did not address life extension issues. New rolling stock is needed.

I have been pretty impressed with the DMU's I have seen in the UK and Europe. No reason it can't be used here.

- Paul

What was so ill-fated about it? I rode one last weekend and it seemed very nice. But perhaps all the refurbishments were cosmetic?

The province has expressed interest in replacing the DMU's for UPX entirely with new EMU's rather than convert them: Via should try to get them on the cheap. It would be better to use them for Via than on a GO line: Via is ok with having retractable stairs for low-platforms and they have all the amenities for longer distance travel (baggage areas, wifi etc)

Also Via should look into if its possible to do an add-on order to purchase the same DMU's from Nippon Sharyo; its always cheaper to order a product thats already in the manufacturing stages.

Another option should be to look at purchasing more Budd RDC's from other transit agencies; a lot of agencies are looking now to replace their RDC's and VIA has already started refurbishing their own RDC's so the facilities to do so are already in place. http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/capital-investment/project/rdc-fleet-rebuild

What was so ill-fated about it? I rode one last weekend and it seemed very nice. But perhaps all the refurbishments were cosmetic?
Not sure. Most of the equipment I see going past is LRC, with some 10-20 year old Renaissance coaches , and the various stainless ex-CP and Amtrack equipment that is now roughly 60-70 years old.

Is this real, or is this an opinion?

At what point in time would it not be worth refurbishing these dinosaurs? Sure there's "historical" significance, but shouldnt our national railway
have a modern fleet instead of relics of an age long past? Every other major developed country's national railways (maybe except for US) have fleets that are at the very least relatively new trains. Time
to catch up with the rest of world VIA....

On that note, has there been any studies done on the feasibility of electrification of VIA (other than HSR)?

The LRC carbodies are aluminum and the undersides have deteriorated. The original rebuild program was to remedy that, but after IRSI closed and the contract changed hands - and some discoveries were made about how big a job it would be - the scope was reduced to simply bring the cars up to date cosmetically. They are serviceable but at some point they will wear out.

An interesting read - http://nationaldreamrenewed.ca/wp-c...NB-Rail-Report-Final-Rev140120-compressed.pdf

It is possible to keep rebuilding the stainless steel cars and RDC's - but a rebuilt sixty year old railcar is a new sixty year old railcar.

- Paul

Last edited:
The LRC carbodies are aluminum and the undersides have deteriorated. The original rebuild program was to remedy that, but after IRSI closed and the contract changed hands - and some discoveries were made about how big a job it would be - the scope was reduced to simply bring the cars up to date cosmetically. They are serviceable but at some point they will wear out.

An interesting read - http://nationaldreamrenewed.ca/wp-c...NB-Rail-Report-Final-Rev140120-compressed.pdf

It is possible to keep rebuilding the stainless steel cars and RDC's - but a rebuilt sixty year old railcar is a new sixty year old railcar.

- Paul

I'd say we just dump them all and buy all new cars from our friends at Thunder Bay ;)

At what point in time would it not be worth refurbishing these dinosaurs? Sure there's "historical" significance, but shouldnt our national railway
have a modern fleet instead of relics of an age long past? Every other major developed country's national railways (maybe except for US) have fleets that are at the very least relatively new trains. Time
to catch up with the rest of world VIA....

On that note, has there been any studies done on the feasibility of electrification of VIA (other than HSR)?

No idea of studies on the feasibility of Electrification but at this point it would be a pipe dream. Most of the track as in 99% that Via rides on is CN trackage.

Lets first try to get service levels back up to what they were in the 1980's and then we can talk electrification.

Even diesel trains that convince people to keep the car at home are much more environmentally friendly.

I'd say we just dump them all and buy all new cars from our friends at Thunder Bay ;)

An order of 25 Bilevels with modified interiors (better seats, washrooms, etc) would be a cheap and effective improvement to Toronto-London-Windsor-Sarnia service....and I do believe Thunder Bay could deliver those quite effectively.

Although, BBD would have some other proven solutions that would be even better.

- Paul

BBD Rocks.jpg

Attachments

• BBD Rocks.jpg
    BBD Rocks.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 664
An order of 25 Bilevels with modified interiors (better seats, washrooms, etc) would be a cheap and effective improvement to Toronto-London-Windsor-Sarnia service....and I do believe Thunder Bay could deliver those quite effectively.

Although, BBD would have some other proven solutions that would be even better.

- Paul

Well one can dream of one day seeing DMUs on the Toronto Montreal corridor

- Paul

Much of what caused IRSI to finally shut down - beyond whatever previous operational/managerial incompetence was already in place - was the LRC coach rebuild. They were the ones who discovered the structural issues, and came up with the methods to fix it. They also re-engineered the suspension system to allow for a comfortable ride without the tilt system. And all that they did quite well - the cars that they outshopped are very well done, although the carpets and seating materials have not held up particularly well to the abuse they've faced since re-entering service.

But the rebuild is still only supposed to buy VIA another 15 years or so. Eventually they will have to be replaced, much as the stainless equipment (which contrary to railfan rumour and story, will not last forever).

As for Greg Gormick - yeah, no. Don't waste your time. He's a hired pen, and not much else.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Off topic: I took the train from Sarnia to Toronto after thanksgiving: usually I drive now but for various reasons taking the train made more sense. Hadn't taken it since 2007.

I noticed that between London and Kitchener the train moved extremely slow, and it was an extremely bumpy ride. I felt like this track (I believe its the GEXR GUELPH SUBDIVISION) was in terrible condition and we were on a slow order.

Does anyone have any information on the speed limit on that track?

Hopefully the Liberals can inject some money into Via for repairing that track. I know its technically GEXR's track but I doubt they would repair it, and i've known instances where Via pays for the track to be repaired for their own benefit even if they don't own it.

In the end though the Sarnia train needs to be rerouted to go through the CN Mainline (London -> Hamilton -> Toronto) because it makes no sense making the furthest station snake through a milk-run of stations on slow track. If someone really wants to go to Kitchener they can transfer at London.

Off topic: I took the train from Sarnia to Toronto after thanksgiving: usually I drive now but for various reasons taking the train made more sense. Hadn't taken it since 2007.
I noticed that between London and Kitchener the train moved extremely slow, and it was an extremely bumpy ride. I felt like this track (I believe its the GEXR GUELPH SUBDIVISION) was in terrible condition and we were on a slow order.

GEXR has actually been doing more than its historic amount of trackwork, but it's crappy track. It is jointed rail for most of the route, not continuous welded rail. I don't know of any plan to change that. The rough ride is becoming a tradition on that route. I believe the posted speed limits vary from 60 to 75.

A couple of years ago, it dawned on Transport Canada that this line is one of the last in Canada where passenger trains operate at moderately high speed over bolted rail without "track continuity" circuity (ie, signals that go to red if a track break is detected). The speed limits were reexamined with that in mind.

The track is periodically tested using the test trains from one of the larger railways. The last test was a couple months back. Typically, after a test train does its inspection, slow orders are issued wherever a defect is found. It may take a while to get all these fixed. I don't know how many slow orders GEXR has going at the moment.

- Paul

Hopefully the Liberals can inject some money into Via for repairing that track. I know its technically GEXR's track but I doubt they would repair it, and i've known instances where Via pays for the track to be repaired for their own benefit even if they don't own it.

I concur. I took that trip multiple times to get to and from university, its was awful. It was exacerbated by the fact that VIA runs the oldest cars in their fleet along that section. Such a noisy and rickedy ride.

On the upside, VIA is currently switching that whole subdivision from OCS to CTC. This will allow these trains to run safer and allow room for train traffic growth.

Back