News   Sep 10, 2024
 583     1 
News   Sep 10, 2024
 504     0 
News   Sep 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

VIA Rail

Exactly. Let the private sector come in and do some great things like we see in the U.S. with Brightline.

So, you would be happy with one stellar service in one small part of the country snd nothing else ? You seem to overlook all the services that continue to operate under government authority across the USA because they are not amenable to private investment.

VIA is a pretty well run organization, but it is handcuffed by its limited legal status and by political and bureaucratic impediments. Take off the handcuffs, and I bet it could do just fine.

- Paul

This forum has been around this tree a number of times. So long as it is a tenant, I'm not exactly sure how another organizational or ownership structure would have a significant impact on speed or reliability.

Look at other places in Canada where the private sector has taken over part or all of a public thing. I hate the cost of the 407, but the service is great. The Mac bridges in Halifax/Dartmouth are great,even though there is a toll. Our airports are nice. Heck, as much As I want to knock the private rail carriers, they seem to make it work well..All of those and more operate with some private and some government mix.

Imagine if there was an organization that solely focused on normal intercity rail travel. No sleepers. No fine dining, just travel between cities. Obviously the QC-W Corridor would fall under their mandate. One could see if part of their mandate was to add more service like that in Canada where else they may invest in to make a profit or break even service happen.

Where $6.5 billion of the $12 billion cost has come from the federal government - $3 billion of that as a simple gift.
Agreed, and let’s also not forget about the investor who happened to own the host railroad together with large lands in prime location around each desired station location. No comparable corridor to Brightline Florida exists anywhere in this country, whereas the only Canadian equivalent to Brightline West would be building a HSR corridor between Edmonton (Strathcona) and Calgary (YYC Airport), which complements rather than substitutes VIA’s network in the same way as Brightline West would with Amtrak’s network…

Last edited:
Agreed, and let’s also not forget about the investor who happened to own the host railroad together with large lands in prime location around each desired station location. No comparable corridor to Brightline Florida exists anywhere in this country, whereas the only Canadian equivalent to Brightline West would be building a HSR corridor between Edmonton (Strathcona) and Calgary (YYC Airport), which complements rather than substitutes VIA’s network in the same way as Brightline West would with Amtrak’s network…

Exactly. If we were to see something like Brightline in the Corridor, they wouldn't want to serve either Toronto Union Station or Montreal Central Station, but instead want to build new stations that are surrounded by land that is owned by investor. They could buy the land around the exiting stations, but the stations already exist, so there is no opportunity for profit.

You will notice that Brightline (or Brightline West) doesn't use or plan to use any existing Amtrak stations.

am not generally a fan of “AI” but a plug-in to forum posting where people could be reminded of (for example) the number of times Brightline has already been distinguished from things which can be done in Canada before they are allowed to mash the post button would be great.

The one (1) good thing Brightline did was get Siemens building intercity passenger coaches and diesel locomotives to North American specs.

The 407 runs so well precisely because the price tag is such a turn off to so many people...

Exactly. It is tolled to maximize profitability. If doubling the toll results in 40% reduction in ridership, that improves profitability.

Imagine if all 400 series highways in Ontario were privatized like the 407.

Exactly. It is tolled to maximize profitability. If doubling the toll results in 40% reduction in ridership, that improves profitability.

Imagine if all 400 series highways in Ontario were privatized like the 407.
I might finally not need to sit in traffic when I travel a route I could be using Via for?

And it would probably cost about $200 in tolls...each way.

People might start thinking twice about driving between cities though. 🤔
Is that a feature or bug?

But this does get to the heart of the challenges. Would I pay an extra $200 to drive? Well,If it is between the $500 flight, or a train that comes every second day...This is why splitting the current services into 3 different agencies would better serve them. However,if I were a betting man, the HxR will be a P3 under Via Rail. So,if the consortium that has Air Canada as part of it, it is unlikely that they will have the HxR labeled "Air Canada ____It will most likely stay as Via Rail. It might be Via Rail ____

Back