News   Jul 12, 2024
 27     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 204     0 

VIA Rail

Article most on the subject of long-distance fleet replacement but with a New Brunswick slant on the poor conditions of the tracks near Moncton.

From said piece:

View attachment 579977

How does this compare with the current fleet size?

Credit to the Canadian Trackside Guide - The Canadian and Ocean fleet consists of (give or take a few retirements) 267 cars

Panorama Cars - 3
Lounge Cars - - 1
Ren Baggage - 9
Ren Service - 17
Ren Dining - 3
Ren Sleeper - 27
Ren Coach - 45
Ren Transition - 3
HEP-1 Coach - 41
Budd Sleepers - 66
Budd Dining - 12
Budd Skyline - 14
HEP-1 Baggage - 17
Budd Park - 12

Add to this 32 Hep-II cars that mostly run in the Corridor

- Paul

Credit to the Canadian Trackside Guide - The Canadian and Ocean fleet consists of (give or take a few retirements) 267 cars

Panorama Cars - 3
Lounge Cars - - 1
Ren Baggage - 9
Ren Service - 17
Ren Dining - 3
Ren Sleeper - 27
Ren Coach - 45
Ren Transition - 3
HEP-1 Coach - 41
Budd Sleepers - 66
Budd Dining - 12
Budd Skyline - 14
HEP-1 Baggage - 17
Budd Park - 12

- Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Combined, does this account for the remote service cars? (Churchhill, Skeena, White River etc?)

Panorama Cars - 3
Lounge Cars - - 1
Ren Baggage - 9
Ren Service - 17
Ren Dining - 3
Ren Sleeper - 27
Ren Coach - 45
Ren Transition - 3
HEP-1 Coach - 41
Budd Sleepers - 66
Budd Dining - 12
Budd Skyline - 14
HEP-1 Baggage - 17
Budd Park - 12

- Paul
So there will be spares and expansion cars. How about locos?

Also what about the rdc cars? Will they be replaced with these or hopefully another MU offering

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul.

Combined, does this account for the remote service cars? (Churchhill, Skeena, White River etc?)

I omitted the White River Budd cars, but it would include Churchill and the Skeena. Offsetting that is the reality that many of the Ren and HEPII coaches are deployed to the Corridor so not really part of the LD fleet.

I suspect that number will be reduced as the project proceeds. I don't recall that last round of LD studies (from the 1980s) suggesting that size of fleet - and that was before the Canadian and Ocean were whittled down to their current scope. Also, any bilevel design will increase the number of seats/beds per car, and the service car design might lead to more compression. I suspect that Transport Canada may fight for seat by seat replacement with no increase in capacity. My dusty memory thinks the planned fleet size shrank to about 144 cars before the proposal imploded around 1985.

- Paul

With tracks gone, that timetable is now just a memory... while I would like to have seen it saved, things happen for a reason.

The end to end train time Fredericton to Halifax was over 8 hours; Google Maps says that one can now drive in 4:10.

The investment to raise that service to a meaningful highway competitive one would have been considerable. And while a schedule looks impressive on paper, remember that this was a one- or two-car RDC and not a five- or ten-car Rapido. Passenger counts were pretty modest..

Now compare the maritime highway map of 1982 to today's.

Was there enough money to have saved and cultivated this service? Certainly not through the 1990s when federal deficits were being slashed. Nor would it have been constructive to shift money away from highway construction to a rail service - the maritime highway network is not overbuilt. And look at all the physical plant which would have required life cycle replacement.... 1982 was 42 years ago, most of the track would be replaced in that period. The CN main line is a lot more spartan then back then; the added capital needed to retain capacity for a day train in each direction is substantial. And in Halifax, while we bemoan how CN has shoved VIA out of the way, that was done to improve port throughput.... what investment is needed to maintain VIA service while assuring the freight ?

We have a rose coloured view of those old timetables. What may look like a great train in a great corridor on paper does not describe the minimalist and decaying rail sytem that VIA was fighting a losing battle to maintain in 1982. Retrenchment, and focussing available investment capital on only the most essential and promising parts, was not wrongheaded.

- Paul
I never said anything about receiving the service. I just shared an interesting and little-known piece of history.

While it would be nice to see more than what is needed plus a few spares, it is still a good thing to see the entire fleet be replaced. Hopefully the contract will include the option to purchase more.

No - you didn't. I didn't mean to imply that.

It was just me editorialising about how much stands between present day and going back to that.

- Paul
Some of the cut routes are easy to put back. Others would be near impossible to run again. Using the route being discussed as an example, a Saint John - Halifax route could be put back fairly quickly. The track are still there at least.

Further to the idea of the Fredericton - Saint John - Halifax route, if the government gave Via oodles of money to expand, and if this was a route Via wanted to expand to, it would be reasonable to think that they would add the Saint John - Halifax section first with a plan of adding the rest if even more oodles of money is given.

Panorama Cars - 3
Lounge Cars - - 1
Ren Baggage - 9
Ren Service - 17
Ren Dining - 3
Ren Sleeper - 27
Ren Coach - 45
Ren Transition - 3
HEP-1 Coach - 41
Budd Sleepers - 66
Budd Dining - 12
Budd Skyline - 14
HEP-1 Baggage - 17
Budd Park - 12

- Paul
Can I guess, Paul, that this list is inventory vs in service? I can't imagine 12 Park cars are needed for regular service in the handful of routes that use them.

Can I guess, Paul, that this list is inventory vs in service? I can't imagine 12 Park cars are needed for regular service in the handful of routes that use them.

It's total on the roster, yes. Some will be in service, some will be staged and available, and some will be out of service, either temporarily or permanently (but not struck off the roster).

- Paul

Back