News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 998     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

VIA Rail

Security checks and passenger screening for VIA is certainly not viable, nor is it necessary. Every once in a while, they call for this on Amtrak, but that's never happened, and that's in the even more paranoid US. Employee screening, securement of crucial infrastructure, and a visible security presence at major terminals is all that's reasonably needed.

There are security checks for the Eurostar in Europe, but none for other high-speed or intercity trains that I've seen in France or the Low Countries. But you'll see a visible armed police presence at major rail terminals.

@ShonTron

Ever been on trains in Spain? They have airport style security. For both HSR and regular rail. However, it's reasonably quick. And depending on location the secure area are only the platforms, not the whole station.

I do believe that we'd do well to add security. Especially if we're now talking hourly service which makes the system much more utilized. If anything just for the regular security of passengers, so that nobody is bringing onboard undesirable items.

That said, I always think the major threat to rail security is always the tracks.

@ShonTron

Ever been on trains in Spain? They have airport style security. For both HSR and regular rail. However, it's reasonably quick. And depending on location the secure area are only the platforms, not the whole station.

I do believe that we'd do well to add security. Especially if we're now talking hourly service which makes the system much more utilized. If anything just for the regular security of passengers, so that nobody is bringing onboard undesirable items.

That said, I always think the major threat to rail security is always the tracks.

It is certainly possible to implement something similar at the larger stations (basically it's just x-raying of luggage at a security perimeter which varied from station to station) - but the practice is really not vigorous in my experience, and it merely moves the weak point to the station itself (which is of course even more of a target given the concentration of users, above and beyond a single train). It also neglects commuter rail, which IMO is an even weaker point.

AoD

It is certainly possible to implement something similar at the larger stations (basically it's just x-raying of luggage at a security perimeter which varied from station to station) - but the practice is really not vigorous in my experience, and it merely moves the weak point to the station itself (which is of course even more of a target given the concentration of users, above and beyond a single train). It also neglects commuter rail, which IMO is an even weaker point.

AoD

Valid points all. The point of such security though, is to protect the transportation platform as it is to protect pax. A suicide bomber can take out the Concession Hall at Union and will kill a ton of people. But he won't be able disrupt GO Transit from actual operations for very long.

In Europe their HSRs are as vital to the economy as their airports. And they protect them appropriately. Sure, not as intrusive as airline security. Because the threat and consequences are lower. But not entirely unprotected either.

We don't checks for VIA now. When VIA has HFR that's hourly and people are virtually using it as a commuter service from the ex-urbs? Might be a different story.

I can understand a coarse scan for firearms or explosives, but the detailed airline-style bans on liquids, gels, penknifes, and so forth don't make a lot of sense on a train.. That level of aggravation would kill any interest that I have in riding.

- Paul

I can understand a coarse scan for firearms or explosives, but the detailed airline-style bans on liquids, gels, penknifes, and so forth don't make a lot of sense on a train.. That level of aggravation would kill any interest that I have in riding.

- Paul

I agree. I'd be fine with a "walk through this metal detector please" and a bag check before boarding a Via train (heck, we even do that much to go to a Blue Jays game), but the restrictions on things like shampoo and nail clippers would be way too far (I think it's too far for an airplane, personally).

... the restrictions on things like ... nail clippers would be way too far ...

Short knives (like those found on nail clippers, safety razors, and cork screws) are allowed in carry-on for most countries now. The restricted list was adjusted in Canada/USA a couple years ago.

Not sure if this has been posted before but does anyone know if there has been any updates on rfq for the new trainsets? Has tender closed and who have submitted bids so far?

This is good news. Hopefully we will see improvements at Niagara Faals too.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...http://www.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

- Paul
Not mentioned is cost, and to who? Even under the Obama administration, costs of such 'outposts' have to be covered by the hosting nation. Under Trump, (and with both chambers now falling into dreadful step with him) it will get even tighter.

It's a shame, as this is so overdue, and an excellent move.

Analysis here:
http://centreforaviation.com/analys...th-asia-and-caribbean-but-at-what-cost-229961

Interesting mention in an article about border crossing improvments:

"This agreement has long been a priority for Vermonters,'' said Democrat Patrick Leahy.

"It would make it possible to restore Amtrak service between Vermont and Quebec in the future... Now, at last, we can confidently move to the next stages of getting passenger service to Montreal up and running.

"Many of us can't wait to hear those first whistles blow.''

Not sure if this has been posted before but does anyone know if there has been any updates on rfq for the new trainsets? Has tender closed and who have submitted bids so far?
Yup, the tender should have closed by now, and it was actually an RFP, not an RFQ. https://www.merx.com/English/Supplier_menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR372988&HID=&src=nm&searchtype=&hcode=5wDiZeCxHAdnaPJaa1+4gg==

There really hasn't been any information since the close. It is all happening very close to the chest right now.
I have some indirect info on that, was talking to someone very close to the situation, and I asked(gist) how did the RFI and 'showcase fair' go for that? Where there many responses. The answer was "yes". As to what that means exactly I don't know, but my thought was that it was so restrictive in requirements that few could match them.

I'm also intrigued on who showed/responded, and what their proposal was.

Interesting mention in an article about border crossing improvments:

"This agreement has long been a priority for Vermonters,'' said Democrat Patrick Leahy.

"It would make it possible to restore Amtrak service between Vermont and Quebec in the future... Now, at last, we can confidently move to the next stages of getting passenger service to Montreal up and running.

"Many of us can't wait to hear those first whistles blow.''
I thought the reason the AMTRAK service through Vermont no longer got to Montreal was the state of the track not the border crossing. Of course, if it were a faster Train, and it was very slow in many sections, it would attract more passengers.

I have some indirect info on that, was talking to someone very close to the situation, and I asked(gist) how did the RFI and 'showcase fair' go for that? Where there many responses. The answer was "yes". As to what that means exactly I don't know, but my thought was that it was so restrictive in requirements that few could match them.

I'm also intrigued on who showed/responded, and what their proposal was.

Siemens seems to be able to build both locomotives and rail cars decently well. Currently their "Charger locomotive" is ordered by a few US rail agencies. It can reach 201 km/h, and I wonder if it could be built to be dual mode or in an electric version for VIA. Also, the cab variant used for Florida's Brightline is really nice looking. But I'd also be really interested in who submitted a bid to VIA and what those bids were.

First_Train_Set_for_Brightline%21.jpg

Back