News   Sep 09, 2024
 874     0 
News   Sep 09, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Sep 09, 2024
 625     0 

VIA Rail in Mississauga

Though none of the Windsor trains go through Malton. The Windsor trains go through Port Credit (but don't stop ...).

Ugh. I saw London on the chart and got confused. It's funny because I'm on that trip a couple times a month and knew that it followed the waterfront to Oakville.

Ugh. I saw London on the chart and got confused. It's funny because I'm on that trip a couple times a month and knew that it followed the waterfront to Oakville.
Both the Sarnia and Windsor service go through London. However they only run along the same track for a short distance in London, and a short distance between Union station in Toronto and Bathurst Street.

Is it easier for you to get to Malton, or why not take a bus from Cooksville or a train from Port Credit and transfer at Union? A transfer is usually required for points east from the VIA trains that stop in Brampton. People still need to go to places like U of Guelph, U of Waterloo, WLU, and places along the "north main line".

I could get a drive to Malton.

Currently if I'm going to Montreal I get a drive to Erindale and take the GO from there.

Did they erect a sign at least? Crazy that there's VIA service now a few 100m from Pearson, but not at Pearson.

If you'd be willing to spend $2 billion on through tracks, be my guest.

I was just throwing a possible number out there for what it might cost to build a rail tunnel for through trains to Pearson. I know that such an idea was discussed in another thread some time ago. Not speaking about extending the people mover at all in that post

[EDIT] From the below report, it is said the estimated cost of diverting the Weston Sub would have been $900M, so $2B wasn't too far off.

Extending the people mover would be something that would actually make sense, although you would have to upgrade the propulsion from the cable system that currently exists. It would not be too difficult to build Airport-Run gateway facilities at both Malton and Renforth to handle baggage.

[EDIT] Found a PDF discussing both a high speed rail connection and people mover extension. (see page 29 for a diagram) http://www.gotransit.com/gts/en/resources/archive/publications/Air_Rai_Link_IBI_Report_to%20Transport%20Canada%20May_1999.pdf

Last edited:

Back