Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

yeah, not sure how the exteriors between the inch gaps are supposed to be maintained. I imagine the idear has to do with settling and heaving

They can touch, it just needs to be an expansion joint. So either a caulking joint, or rubber membrane, or metal that's only screwed to one side and floats over the other, or something else of the sort

I also wish the podiums had been joined tho. If nothing else it would've allowed for one less garage entrance. It's too bad the city can't do more to require builders to share access to underground garages, as a public easement or something along those lines

July 25

Looking north at Uptown with Crystal Blu in the foreground.
2703884321_937805633a_b.jpg

Looking down at Crystal Blu.
2703884339_e16a5d6de0_b.jpg

2703884369_0d586c283e_b.jpg

Aug 3rd Update

PICT1785.jpg

I think in some circumstances you are probably right, however I am pretty sure that the building code stipulates that buildings are not allowed to touch- you can see it all over the place- hey, but I could be partially wrong too!

p5

Seems to be alot of opinions on this, and I don't know the correct answer.

Personally, I remember going to the Icon presentation center and saw how on the model the Tridel building was abutting the future rental condo (ie. Jefferson).

So in this example, the 2 buildings were supposedly to be built right next to each other along the property line.

Perhaps another forum member knows these 2 buildings better and can verify if they do abutt each other (ie. built side-by-side) so it's not considered attached.

From the pictures it looks to me as if there is about 2-3 meters of separation between the two buildings. In Current's July 25 pic you can see that here's a piece of ground that's wasn't covered in concrete between the two buildings. So odds are good that even the podiums won't touch.

if you look back at the plans for CrystalBlu & Uptown, you will find there will be a laneway between the two buildings used for accessing the parking garage in both building as well as loading & servicing .... although the separation between the two podium buildings will be small (7.943 metres), they certain do not connect to one another

I don't know if you can make this out but look at the construction guys near the top left of the picture. They're standing beside a cement mixer which is firing cement about 6 floors down into a gap between Uptown & Crystal Blu. I've never seen that before. Why don't they use that Pumpcrete gizmo. You can see a big puddle of cement on the floor where they missed the gap.

Attachments

• David Family 220.jpg
    David Family 220.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 296
This is just too slack. They better wake up and start working 24 hrs if they're going to finish in time for the sceduled completion.

I think your bang on.Scheduled ocupancy is for November 2009 thats 14 months from now West Harbour City Condo which is a similar precast building has risen 24 floors in 6 months from ground level thats roughly 48 floors in a year.that leaves 2 months to get this to ground level and thats not counting the time it takes to get it ready for occupancy after it is topped.

Back