News   Jul 31, 2024
 412     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 622     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 497     0 

University of Guelph builds GO hub

Good move by Greyhound. Best compromise possible, in my opinion.

I was stuck using Greyhound to go from Montreal to Ottawa and it reaffirmed why I have not used them in years. The bus was in bad shape and even from the start something sounded off. Sure enough as soon as we got off the island a tire blew and we had to wait almost an hour at the side of the highway for another bus too come. It was no better. Ripped seats. And near the end of the trip the intercom became stuck in the on position with the sounds of the engine and changing gears being blasted over the speakers at a loud volume. I cannot imagine using Greyhound on a regular basis.

Perhaps now that FirstGroup purchased Laidlaw (and by extension, Greyhound Canada and US), there might be some investment?

From what I recall, FirstGroup is a fairly competent operator in the UK. I know it operates coaches, passenger rail and public transit there. I only realized it once I started seeing all these school buses with the logo and First Student instead of Laidlaw.

Laidlaw was a pretty shitty company.

Laidlaw was a pretty shitty company.
I have held a grudge against Laidlaw for many years...

When I was nought but a wee lad in grade two (1999), me and my class got to go see Peter Pan down at Sir John A. Macdonald High School (Hamilton). We were all "kick ass!" because seriously, Peter Pan was the shit! Anyway, we went down and the school was all "Oh snap, the buses are gonna be too early. Well, we'll just change that!" They called and said "Hey, can you guys push us back a half hour?" The person at Laidlaw said "Sure, no problem!"

We got outside and waited. And waited. And waited. A teacher called after a bit. Somehow they misinterpreted "push it back a half hour" to be "cancel all the buses and strand every grade 1-5 student at Eastmount Park downtown". Oh, and of course by then it was time for all the schools to get out, so there were no buses to spare. We ended up having to wait until almost 4:30 to get home.

It's not the waiting that pissed me off. Oh no, it was something much more serious. THOSE BASTARDS MADE ME MISS DIGIMON! I was pissed! Seriously! I got home and flicked on the TV just in time to see the end credits!

And that is the story of how Laidlaw made me miss Digimon, a devastating act to someone in grade two in 1999.

Back