News   Jun 26, 2024
 139     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

University Avenue (History and Future Redesign)

Taken 5 June.

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg
IMG_3200.jpeg

I think that the consolidation of University Ave around Queen's Park would be more transformative in restoring the original site intent (the current conditions are awful as a pedestrian), while I have some questions about the viability of the linear park proposed south of College mainly due to the adjacent institutional land uses (not that it's a moot point anyways for the near future).

IMG-4599ed_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
I think that the consolidation of University Ave around Queen's Park would be more transformative in restoring the original site intent (the current conditions are awful as a pedestrian),

This, more or less, is what was contemplated by the University Park proposal.

(No intent of putting Hoskin back through the park......)

But yes, removing the west side of Queen's Park Crescent entirely south of Wellesley and mostly or entirely south of Hoskin (a decision would have to be made on how to route the Harbord/Wellesley bus).

That said, the proposal is not currently moving forward, but it may, at some point in the future.

There are some complexities involved, not the least of which is whether Queen's Park Crescent East would have to be widened to handle two-way traffic, and how to have that road meet University Avenue, in its current and/or a new configuration.

This, more or less, is what was contemplated by the University Park proposal.

(No intent of putting Hoskin back through the park......)

But yes, removing the west side of Queen's Park Crescent entirely south of Wellesley and mostly or entirely south of Hoskin (a decision would have to be made on how to route the Harbord/Wellesley bus).

That said, the proposal is not currently moving forward, but it may, at some point in the future.

There are some complexities involved, not the least of which is whether Queen's Park Crescent East would have to be widened to handle two-way traffic, and how to have that road meet University Avenue, in its current and/or a new configuration.
With the bike lanes, it seems like parts of University are permanently going down to a 4-lane road, which in turn may implicate that Queen's Park Crescent East may not need extensive widening if 4 lanes of vehicular traffic are consolidated onto it.

I could imagine that to bike lanes could instead a take a route west on a combined cycle pathway where Queen's Park Crescent West is currently situated, though it does produce a tricky intersection north of College where the bike lanes and lanes intersect around Queen's Park.

though it does produce a tricky intersection north of College where the bike lanes and lanes intersect around Queen's Park.
Introducing a new traffic signal only 70-80m north on of an existing one on a major thoroughfare does sound unreasonable if there's a better way.

Perhaps the bidirectional cycle path should remain on the west side approaching the College intersection. We could further setback the north side crosswalk, open up more space for north-bound cyclists waiting to cross to the west, and maybe introduce a corner island for protection. Something like this but across a wider boulevard:

1717777504017.png

Source: OTC Protected Intersection Guide (location unknown)

Incredible shot. it really just highlights to me how desperately we need an adequate University Avenue and a Queens Park Circle that doesn't feel like a highway.
Thank you.

I got on site a bit too early. Waiting for the sky to darken before launching the drone, I spent time exploring the area. It was a Sunday evening so the traffic was light.

I was taken aback by the serene lushness of the setting. It's a beautiful park.

I was also curious what the Legislative building looked like from the north so I took this shot, not intending to post. :)

DJI_0088-2.jpeg

Back