News   Jun 17, 2024
 161     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

University Avenue (History and Future Redesign)

Does anyone know if this is still happening? With University and Queen being torn up for the Ontario line, it seems like the perfect time.

Does anyone know if this is still happening? With University and Queen being torn up for the Ontario line, it seems like the perfect time.

If you mean "University Park" the answer is "No:" for any portion south of College for sure, for the next few years anyway.

North of College its a bit murkier. U of T remains interested, but there are substantial obstacles to make it a reality, so still, at best, not near-term

So just saw this and will put it here. More trees! 🌳 Bike lane! Taken 28 May.

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg
IMG_2888.jpeg

Yup - but the cast in place concrete sidewalk is so incredibly uninspiring;

That's true, though I certainly had no expectations for granite here. (though that would have been nice)

and I am not entirely convinced that the trees will fare well.

AoD

The soil volume provision here is, tentatively excellent.

That leaves at lot of ability for decent drainage of salt, although, I wish the curb height were set higher to further reduce spray.

That said, if good soils are used, and laid in such a way as to allow for proper drainage, and good quality planting stock, is properly installed, at the right time of year........ I think the trees could work out quite well (a few ifs there admittedly)

I haven't seen the species list, I assume they are targeting fall planting at this point, if that's the case, they should probably avoid planting oaks (nut-bearing trees have a tougher time with fall transplants). A mix of Honey Locust, Elm and Silver Maple would probably work out well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
How is it that we haven’t seen any renders produced so far? Did they even produce renders for this project?

Is it me or does this project seem to be purposely hidden away from public sight?

How is it that we haven’t seen any renders produced so far? Did they even produce renders for this project?

Is it me or does this project seem to be purposely hidden away from public sight?
It is advertised to the same extent as most utility works, primarily through construction notices. At the heart of it, this is a water main replacement project. It’s a shame but the street level design is an afterthought.

It is not purposefully hidden, but there are no renders.

That's a rather conspiratorial take btw.

It’s a shame but the street level design is an afterthought.

I don't think that's a reasonable take.

This is not a status-quo design.

its a series of fairly significant changes from streetscape, to cycle track to protected intersection.

That's not really an afterthought.

Sure, I get that it would have been nice if the City prioritized elaborate streetscape here, though someone would be upset that there was 20M for granite sidewalks when there's no space in the shelter system, and the TTC is the shambles.

Last edited:
pretty typical that they don't appear to have taken the opportunity to bury the random wires, and replace those ramshackle light posts

Saw something, somewhere online that the City is voting soon on a proposal to put bike lanes on Avenue from Bloor to St. Clair thus extending the route from the waterfront to deep into the city! Will look.

Saw something, somewhere online that the City is voting soon on a proposal to put bike lanes on Avenue from Bloor to St. Clair thus extending the route from the waterfront to deep into the city! Will look.

The lanes will go from Bloor to Davenport for now.

North of that will come later......a fair bit later.........but it too will come.

There will be pedestrian-oriented improvements north of Davenport for now, but smaller in scale.

Back