News   Apr 25, 2024
 97     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

University Avenue (History and Future Redesign)

Toronto prepares to commemorate Terry Fox with landmark mural along University Avenue

October 16, 2021

As a signature project of ArtworxTO: Toronto’s Year of Public Art 2021-2022, the City of Toronto’s StreetARToronto (StART) program has partnered with the University of Toronto (U of T) and The Legacy Art Project to create a mural commemorating Canadian legend and hero Terry Fox. The large-scale, community-engaged landmark mural will be painted on the north side of U of T’s Rehabilitation Sciences Building at 500 University Ave.

The project will commemorate Terry and support the legacy of Terry’s “Marathon of Hope”. Once painted, the mural is expected to cover as many as eight storeys and will overlook University Avenue, part of the route Terry followed into downtown Toronto on July 11, 1980 — day 90 of the Marathon. Fox eventually made his way to Nathan Phillips Square, where he was met by thousands of people cheering him on.

Following a competitive process, five Toronto street, mural and graffiti artists including Christiano De Araujo, Keitha Keeshig-Tobias Biziindam, Emmanuel Jarus, Jason Pinney, and Artist Collaborative Alexander Bacon and Que Rock were invited to submit mural design concepts. The concepts will be considered by an inter-generational committee that includes Terry Fox’s brother Darrell Fox and niece Jessie Adler. The committee will closely review each design concept and, with feedback from the public, select a final mural concept. The mural will then be painted in the summer of 2022 by the commissioned artist(s).

Members of the public can view the concepts and share feedback until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 31 here Opens in new window.

In 1980, with one leg amputated due to cancer, Terry embarked on an east to west, cross-Canada run to raise funds for cancer research and awareness of the toll of the disease. Although illness forced Terry to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy.

Working closely with artists and Toronto’s major cultural institutions, such as the U of T, ArtworxTO is delivering major public art projects and commissions across the city from fall 2021 to fall 2022. Supporting local artists and new artworks that reflect Toronto’s diversity and celebrate key aspects of our shared history, like that of Terry’s “Marathon of Hope”, ArtworxTO is creating more opportunities for Torontonians to engage with art, as part of one of the largest arts and culture investments in the city’s history.

More information about ArtworxTO is available online Opens in new window .

Public asked to help choose among five Terry Fox murals

City of Toronto survey page for the 5 potential mural options:

terfox.jpg

Public asked to help choose among five Terry Fox murals

City of Toronto survey page for the 5 potential mural options:

View attachment 358138

The sunset mural got a strong 10 from me. The rest got like 1-3

Many of these finalist submissions feel rather weak and messy. This is a large mural after all, but it doesn't feel like everyone brought their a-game.

My review:

'HOPE' submission is rather hazy and inaccessible because of how hard to read it is and is too messy in it's image blending.

The first has too much text and the sky is rather cluttered with things you can't really make out. Also what the heck is that perspective his poor leg... The digital enhancement of his face is also rather ghostly.

The last one (teal) is the worst imo as it feels like they didn't try to convey anything. It's like a corporate flyer with those triangles. Also the artist explains the colour choices as if they just picked them at random.

Black and white isn't awful but it's just a photo montage.

The second (sunset mural) is great because it's clear in it's imagery with a vibrant art pop like style (unlike HOPE), the colours pop and are explained accordingly adding to the art story. And I found it has a emotional appeal the others don't for me, even without knowing the artists choice reasons.

I highly recommend looking at the survey page. It’s well done, with videos by the artists, renderings of the murals on a building, and more.

Article on the Radiant Journey lighting installations along University Avenue:

Meanwhile...

It will almost certainly put to shame whatever design they propose for University Avenue, Spadina, Yonge, etc. And the rebuttal will surely be 'But one can't expect the same as Paris!' Do we deserve less than Parisians? Of course not, but that's certainly how a lot of Canadians think. We still think like a subordinate backwater instead of the wealthy G7 nation that we are.

We're a wealthier nation than France actually.

Not related to the Terry Fox mural and regardless of the final outcome of the University Ave. make over I hope the Osgoode Hall grounds are finally opened up. It is one of the most beautiful public spaces/buildings we have but, unfortunately it's hidden behind the old heavy barrier fence and poorly placed trees. Meanwhile the sidewalk along the south side of OH is too narrow to accommodate pedestrian traffic. Seems to me the fence could be moved north to open up the sidewalk and also expose beautiful OH.

Not related to the Terry Fox mural and regardless of the final outcome of the University Ave. make over I hope the Osgoode Hall grounds are finally opened up. It is one of the most beautiful public spaces/buildings we have but, unfortunately it's hidden behind the old heavy barrier fence and poorly placed trees. Meanwhile the sidewalk along the south side of OH is too narrow to accommodate pedestrian traffic. Seems to me the fence could be moved north to open up the sidewalk and also expose beautiful OH.

I like it as it is, actually. It's a historic fence, and the lawn is a quiet oasis and one of those few little secrets left downtown. I will not enjoy the Ontario Line construction there and the permanent encroachment with the station box.

I like it as it is, actually. It's a historic fence, and the lawn is a quiet oasis and one of those few little secrets left downtown. I will not enjoy the Ontario Line construction there and the permanent encroachment with the station box.

From link.

On May 23, 1865, the firm of Cumberland and Storm received the contract for the construction of a cast iron fence around Osgoode Hall. The casting of the fence began in 1866, in the St. Lawrence Foundry. Even in those years, Toronto was a thriving industrial centre where raw materials and skilled workmen were readily at hand. The foundry was on Front Street, its grounds extending as far north as King Street, between Berkley and Parliament Streets. The firm produced cast iron for industrial and architectural purposes, such as the staircases of the Old City Hall and Victoria College. The stone for the footings of the fence were quarried from near Georgetown by the firm of Ramsey and Farquar. The installation of the foundations, the cast iron fence, and the gates were completed in Confederation year –1867.
The gates were designed after a type that at one time were common throughout Britain. Known as “kissing gates,” they consisted of two panels placed into the enclosure in a “V”-shape, with a small opening at the narrow end of the “V”. To pass through the gate a person moved around the panel to travel from one side of the gate to the other. If another person were passing through the gate in the opposite direction, at one point they directly faced each other, providing an excellent opportunity for kissing.
Anyone who has passed through the 20-inch opening of an Osgoode Hall gate can readily perceive the opportunities for a kiss. However, tradition says that the gates on Queen Street, with their narrow openings, were designed to prevent cows from passing through. This might have been a possibility when the east wing of the hall was constructed in 1829, as the site was to the northwest of the town of York. However, by the year 1866, the city had grown considerably and extended into the area where Osgoode Hall was located. The design was likely an attempt to mimic the styles of Mother Britain.
dscn62721.jpg
dscn6268.jpg

Alterations to a Designated Heritage Property - 330 University Avenue

This item will be considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on February 16, 2022. It will be considered by City
Council on March 9, 2022, subject to the actions of the Toronto and East York Community Council.

Summary
This report recommends that City Council approve the alterations proposed for the heritage property located at 330 University Avenue (designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act). The proposal is for replacement of three matching "Canada Life" illuminated fascia signs on the north, west, and south elevations of the tower of the Canada Life Building at 330 University Avenue.​

clife.JPG
clife2.JPG
clife3.JPG
clife4.JPG

'An international hero': Design unveiled for Terry Fox mural on U of T's Rehabilitation Sciences Building

The design for a Terry Fox mural that will grace the University of Toronto's Rehabilitation Sciences Building has been selected by a panel that includes the Canadian hero’s younger brother and niece.

The winning submission, by Toronto artists Alexander Bacon and Que Rock, depicts Fox smiling and waving. The mural's colours symbolize the different types of cancer research supported by the Terry Fox Foundation, while an image of a bison pays homage to Fox's Métis heritage. The word “hope” emblazoned vertically in block letters references his cross-country “Marathon of Hope” to raise money for cancer research.

“We are honoured to have had our design concept selected by the Advisory Committee for this landmark commission,” the artists said in a statement. “Terry Fox is an international hero, a timeless symbol of selflessness and resilience against all odds. We are so proud to celebrate this global icon through our mural.”

To be painted this summer at 500 University Avenue, the mural is expected to be eight storeys tall and will overlook part of the route Fox took through downtown Toronto more than 40 years ago. Upon his arrival in Toronto, he told the Globe and Mail that being a patient in a cancer ward was tougher than running across the country. "People I saw who had cancer set an example. I've got to be strong, I can't give up," he told the paper.

terry-fox-mural.jpg

l agree with emphur none of the choices for the Terry Fox mural are very good. The chosen mural doesn’t say anything. It’s just a mashup of photos resulting in nothing more than wall paper. Granted, the deep vertical space is difficult to work with. If you never heard of Terry Fox the chosen mural will not enlighten you to this brave young man.

Back