News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 293     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 827     0 

Unique Houses in Toronto

Mods, feel free to delete this if you feel it doesn't fit the spirit of the thread...

On Soudan near Holly. Yonge and Eglinton area. I think this house is unique not because of any designer provenance or materials but because it's a 'survivor'. It seems to pre-date all the other houses around it and it has a BARN :)in the backyard. Unfortunately it seems to be destined for knockdown.:(

P1000265.jpg

P1000266.jpg

Wolf House, 1974
51 Roxborough Drive

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

This is another house by Barton Myers. It continued Myers' experimentation with the use of off-the-shelf industrial components in his architecture. At the time he was working on prototypes for mass-produced housing, so perhaps it's ironic that his modernism ultimately produced such a unique Toronto house.

The old car really goes with this house; quite neat to have taste and the $ to indulge in just the right accessories.:eek:

Some streets have a strange yet pleasing variety of houses. Hudson Drive in Moore Park is one of them. One of these houses appeared on the previous page, but if I do say so myself, I prefer my own photo of it.

103 Hudson Drive has charming little porthole windows.

103HudsonDr.jpg

107 Hudson Drive is a low, white building that seems out of place but interesting still.

107HudsonDr1.jpg

139 Hudson Drive has a nod to Asian architecture on it's unusual roof. Doesn't work, for me, but sort of interesting I suppose.

139HudsonDr.jpg

Up in North Toronto, there's this little oddity on Mount Pleasant. No, it's not under construction, been like this for a long time.

1015MountPleasant.jpg

I'm aware of quite a few contemporary houses, though I'm appreciative of some of the ones posted here as well, and will definitely be making a trip to see them.

Ways Lane Residence - a laneway house in Trinity-Bellwoods, got some press years back, industrial but satisfying.

WaysLaneResidence1.jpg

Restingvessell on the islands. Very lovely.

restingvessel1.jpg

31 Millbank in Cedarvale. Lots of nice stuff up there - this one is particularly beautiful. Very beautiful. Stunningly beautiful.

31MillbankAve1.jpg

546 Richmond St West - crammed into an odd site.

546RichmondStW1.jpg

1007 Craven Road, supremely beatiful. Won awards of some sort.

1007CravenRoad1.jpg

These ones below are somewhat similar to each other. I don't think any of them is a standout, but neither are they horrible. I like very much the fact that they are contemporary, at any rate.

111 Park Road - a bit of a fussy entrance mars this otherwise interesting structure.

111ParkRoad.jpg

11 Bishop

11Bishop1.jpg

137 Lake Promenade in Long Branch

137LakePromenade.jpg

150 Silver Birch in the Beach.

150SilverBirch1.jpg

172 Forest Hill.

172ForestHillRoad1.jpg

22 Gloucester Grove.

22GloucesterGrove1.jpg

Another Cedarvale Special, on Heathdale Road.

22HeathdaleRd1.jpg

7 Glenayr.

7Glenayr1.jpg

8 Lobb.

8LobbAve1.jpg

I've always loved 546 Richmond, but isn't it a community center or something?, the building pictured is part of the large concrete block building next door.

Another Installment

This time I'm focusing on postmodern houses which haven't been posted yet.

Casa Galvan, 1989
148 Greenlaw Avenue

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Embodying that whimsical attitude of the style, the house by Francesco & Aldo Piccaluga has unique ornamental elements like that balcony, fence, and "Casa Galvan" sign by the front door. It's nothing groundbreaking, but a break from ordinary developer houses or the heavy emphasis on progress and technical innovation of a modernist dwelling.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Garth Norbraten's Leslieville house blends into the neighbourhood well, with its hand painted fibre-cement shingle facade evoking older wood slate clad facades. The cladding reminded me of a historic wooden church I saw in Poland once. The custom cut number plate is nice touch as well. It's distinctive, yet works well with its surroundings.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

This house's facade which appears to combine two buildings, made evident with the different colour of stucco. The less formal landscaping adds to the spirit of defying modernism.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

It verges on traditional/quasi-historical with ample historical references, but the rigid, rectangular windows are strong, contemporary elements. There may be an added element on the entrance to draw things together. I haven't seen this one in person, but it looks rather messy. I'd expect more symmetry with all the traditional elements. Yet it's an interesting reflection of the influence of the recent movement towards traditionalist decadence in residential architecture on postmodernism. This could work.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Though it looks ridiculously narrow, it's built in a wedge shape, so it's wider in the back. Paul Reuber designed it. He's worked on a number of co-op buildings and community centres and has a distinctive, colourful postmodern style which is polarizing. It was originally proposed in 1989, but the City rejected it, and it had to be taken to the OMB.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

This house is coherent and almost modernist. What I appreciate is the real subtlety of the historical references. The setback, the black muntins, and the cornice and the round roof element provide elegant ornamentation.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Designed by Natale and Scott, this is another house from the era when postmodernism was mainstream. Again, the ornamentation is very subtle, including the copper cladding, curvy top of the facade, and those discs. It opens with the unadored cement wall and red structural steel, but ultimately reveals some historical wit.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

This North York house is unique for its incorporation of large trellises. Nature will ornament the structure, in addition to the window visor with triangular elements for further interest and window trim.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Almost quasi-historical with ample ornamentation like the exquisite balcony railings, the glass entrance roof and the lack of an overt attempt at a revival (to my knowledge) allow for a postmodernist label. You might not expect that it has heritage status, unless you're familiar with the Rosedale heritage conservation districts enacted in 2003.

Last edited:
The Piccalugii are zany fun. I took some courses from them at OCA in the early '70s. They can behave themselves when they want to.

Back