News   Mar 28, 2024
 465     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 313     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

Union Station LRT Loop Reconfiguration (TTC, Proposed)

A

ahrvojic

Steve Munro: Bigger loop at Union Station?

unionloopdetailc.jpg

They should keep the original track so streetcars can get to the west platform without stopping for cars in the east one

EDIT: forget it, now that i read the whole article

What's this talk about Bremner LRT? Interesting. How much would that cost, I wonder.

^It was in the Fort York improvement plan; I don't think they decided whether it would be "brt" or "lrt" though. Hopefully it would be StreetCarROW, especially with cityplace going up right on Bremner.

This is fine for todays needs, but will not meet future needs.

Figures for this loop would see 8,700 riders per hour. TTC could offer 2 minute headway per side or 1 minute between the LRT's in the tunnel. Start adding in cars turning east or west at Queens Quay as well through cars on top of the Fort York Line, we are only looking at seconds between cars.

You can only fit 2 LRT's on each side only and this will have an impact on service either at loading or unloading area.

Does not allow for the Lake Shore LRT line and will be a tight fit for the Fort York Line.

Fort York Line will be only an express line to service the area west of Bathurst St only. Better off building the Front St LRT line.

Time to look at a new plan that can handle 12,900 riders/hr.

Need to look at putting in a centre platform the full length between Bay and York with a new tunnel down York or Simcoe St

I agree that the ultimate plan would have the streetcar platform run under the moat between Bay and York with two tracks and switches along the route and two tracks under York back down to Queens Quay.

Talk, talk, talk, that is all that is happening at Union Station. New York City has really increased the capacity and efficiency of one of it's main station-Grand Central Station. I read a really good article about that station in Today's New York Times. Hopefully Union station gets the same treatment from our own papers.

The TTC has started work on Victoria Park Station. The company called Ellis Don is starting to modernize that station. Hopefully Union starts soon. I moved here to Ontario in 2002 from Vancouver and I have learned about transit in my new home and they were talking about improving Union St. back then- here it is 2008 and nothing has even been started at Union! Well, at least Vic. Park has been started- so I have faith that Union one day will be improved- not only the streetcar platform, but subways and trains as well.

Talk, talk, talk, that is all that is happening at Union Station. New York City has really increased the capacity and efficiency of one of it's main station-Grand Central Station. I read a really good article about that station in Today's New York Times. Hopefully Union station gets the same treatment from our own papers.

I'm pretty sure those Grand Central improvements have been on the todo list for a number of decades. Union station is moving at lightning speed (trainshed, signals, and second platform are funded finishing engineering/planning and being tendered) by comparison.

Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Wait, talk talk talk?

Why exactly ... they're currently building the other platform are they not? i.e. it's not just talk there is *physical* construction preceeding at this moment?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Environment Assessment and other processes has slowed down the development of such "improvements" to such an extent that it seems to take forever to develop. This is a result of what used to happen when people like Robert Moses and his school of thought would ignore local residents and build what he thought was best without input from others.
This has resulted in the proposed expansion of the Union loop, which used the CLRV as the model, could now be too tight for the proposed LFLRV's, Transit City, and the east side LRT's to use. More reconfiguration will have to be done, but because of the delay, it at least allows us the time to do so.
Personally, I think they should replace the loop with several crossover platforms. How many platforms? I would have to leave it to the designers who would know what would fit in there.

I haven't heard of this Robert Moses person until recently. Mayor David Miller, Adam Giambrone and MacIssaac of Metrolinx have all been talking of streamlining the whole EA process so that the different projects of MoveOntario 2020 and the included Transit City plans would start moving ahead a little quicker. If Moses is helping this streamling the EA's it will save the different transit agencies lots of money they could use for other projects.

I haven't heard of this Robert Moses person until recently. Mayor David Miller, Adam Giambrone and MacIssaac of Metrolinx have all been talking of streamlining the whole EA process so that the different projects of MoveOntario 2020 and the included Transit City plans would start moving ahead a little quicker. If Moses is helping this streamling the EA's it will save the different transit agencies lots of money they could use for other projects.
As Mr Wikipedia says "Robert Moses (18 December 1888–29 July 1981) was the "master builder" of mid-20th century New York City, Long Island, and Westchester County, New York." I am afraid he will not be much help with our EA processes :)

Except that Robert Moses was anti-transit. He built parkways that had bridges too low for buses. City parks, state parks and beaches that could only be accessed by car, no transit. Bridges without subway, transit provision, or bike paths. The irony was that he had 24-hour chauffeur service at his disposal because he did not had a driver's licence. Click on this link for more information about him.
If we had someone like him, there would be no Transit City, no subway, and no streetcars. However, most if not all the highways would have gone through destroying neighbourhoods like how the Gardiner Expressway destroyed South Parkdale (there used to be homes south of the railway and west of the CNE).

Wait, talk talk talk?

Why exactly ... they're currently building the other platform are they not? i.e. it's not just talk there is *physical* construction preceeding at this moment?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope. They moved the sewer/water main out of the way and found some issues with the station design while digging around.

Actual platform physical construction is not yet underway as the project is still with the engineers to make sure it can actually be built.

Ah, I stand corrected.

Okay, talk is all it is : - ) ... well there was a bit of work at least ;)

Back