U.S. to (Finally) Phase Out Incandescent Bulbs

billonlogan

Member Bio
Reaction score
U.S. to (Finally) Phase Out Incandescent Bulbs
Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25PM EST
Ben Patterson
The Gadget Hound

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patters...ZGEyNGM2NjUxNTE5ZGUEUl9sdHADMQ--#see_comments

Yep, it's really happening. President Bush just signed into law a massive energy bill that will, among other things, spell the end of traditional light bulb.

USA Today reports that the bill will phase out the good ole (but power-hungry) incandescent bulb over the next dozen years in favor more efficient fluorescent, halogen, and LED bulbs. Specifically, the new law holds that all light bulbs must be 25 to 35 percent more efficient by 2012 to 2014.

As the USA Today story points out, compact fluorescent bulbs cost about $2, or about four times as much as a typical incandescent bulb. That said, fluorescent bulbs last six times longer than the incandescent variety, and each one will chip about $5 off your annual electricity bill. You do the math.

Of course, part of the challenge will be weaning Americans off incandescent bulbs, which we've been happily using for 125 years. Chris Null has already written about how most of us hate fluorescent bulbs because of "their initial flicker, slow warm-up and slightly weird color." Well, energy-saving bulbs may look weird, but try these stats on for size: $40 billion in savings over the years spanning 2012 to 2030, 14 fewer coal-fired power plants, and 51 million fewer tons of carbon emissions annually (says USA Today). Give me all that, and I'll happily get used to the weird colors.

uhmm... if you really think about it, we're not that far behind them.. "finally" might not be warranted...

This bill was not put forward by Bush himself, it was by the Democrats... which is showing what will be south of the border in a year.. a more environmentally-minded government. And guess what? We'll be left behind and isolated by ourselves if Harper stays in.

They should also create subsities to lower the price of LED bulbs. I personally hate CFL's and hate how they make my dinner look like its been freeze dried for the past 4 years.

Can't wait for the day where we have LED's everywhere with the ability to change the colour, brightness, etc.

I personally hate CFL's and hate how they make my dinner look like its been freeze dried for the past 4 years.

It doesn't have to be that way, the technology has advanced.

FOUR bulbs, only ONE is incandescent:

250px-CFBulbs.jpg

Associated article

can't wait until they phase out that bulb in washington that don't shine so bright.

Small change in one way, big change in another. In my home I use no traditional incandescent bulbs in any place but one room - the dining room. At first I experimented with the CFLs exclusively, but then I thought the illumination was far less than what was claimed. Subsequently I used a light meter to prove what my eyes seemed to see, and explored alternatives, using the CFLs in closets and the cellar.

I kept track of the hours and it is amazing how infrequently any of these lights were replaced - seems like some are manufactured better than others however.

I am also using several LEDs as nightlights. These models purchased at IKEA will turn off if other lights are turned on or during daylight when light streams into the room where the LED nightlight is placed.

I wish i knew where to get those yellowish tint cfls. I have a drawer full of them after trying all different types and colour temperatures, they all look the same dull white. Can anyone suggest a brand which has the same glow as the old Incandescent?

Cuba’s Fidel Castro banned the importation and sales of incandescent bulbs in August 2005. Don't let the American public find this out!

I wish i knew where to get those yellowish tint cfls. I have a drawer full of them after trying all different types and colour temperatures, they all look the same dull white. Can anyone suggest a brand which has the same glow as the old Incandescent?

That's funny. People have known nothing more than a yellow tint from traditional light bulbs that the now clean white light given off by CFL's seems unnatural.

I just find the yellow tint really adds warmth to the room instead of the bright clean light. Plus it makes everyone look like they are tanned!

I've been studying the art of illuminating spaces using my apartment as a case study.

I've found that clean lighting is great for stimulating productivity in my home office space and kitchen for example.

In my living room, I'm using yellow tinted shades which promote a relaxing environment (hence why candles are good for this). Similarly, relaxing light should be as far below your field of view as possible (closer to the floor) rather than from above which keeps you on edge.

What I like about CFL's is that you have that choice. You start off with clean white light and if need be, you can add a shade to change the colour to the use you're looking for. LED's are going to be fantastic for this. You'll be able to adjust the "mood" of you lighting right on your light switch. Can't wait 'til the price comes down.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the bedroom. I have two lamps, one of them red, the other cool blue. They work really well in maintaining a relaxing atmosphere. White lights are on the wall for reading.

Do they work on dimmers yet?

Yeah!

Now we can have more flouresent lights and throw them away with the trash - which of course poisons the land with mercury....

operating an incandescent bulb puts more mercury into the environment through coal power generation.

BTW, CFL's will probably be replaced with LED's within the next couple of years.

Yeah!
Now we can have more flouresent lights and throw them away with the trash - which of course poisons the land with mercury....

I have always known this, and thought others did as well. Recently I found out that somewhere in the 70th percentile, people that buy CFLs in the US, for instance, are unaware of the mercury issue.

There is a website which encourages renewable energy but also responsibly provides information about each product, including any explicit warnings that are necessary. They are Renewable Energy UK or REUK. They can be found here.

I will include their warning page on CFLs below:

_________________________________________________​

Toxic Mercury In CFL Bulbs

CFL Light Bulbs Still Contain Toxic Mercury

Last Modified: 16:40, 21st Feb 2007

Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) offers many advantages over the standard incandescent type of light bulb. They provide the same amount of light as incandescent bulbs but use far less power, and last many times longer. Over the lifetime of a CFL bulb the electricity cost savings amount to many times the initial cost of the bulb, and carbon emissions from power stations are reduced.

However, CFL bulbs are not as green as many people believe. First of all they are more complicated than incandescent bulbs requiring more materials, more processing, and therefore more energy during manufacture.

Secondly, they contain electronic components - the manufacture of which requires a range of nasty chemicals, and the release into the atmosphere of dangerous heavy metals and other polution. Last and by no means least, every CFL bulb manufactured today contains not insignificant amounts of the toxic metal mercury.

What is Mercury and Why is it Dangerous

Mercury, also called quicksilver is a silver coloured metal which is liquid at room temperatures. It is a neurotoxin just like lead and is therefore extremely poisonous and damaging to humans whether it is eaten, inhaled, or is in contact with the skin.

Mercury in CFL Bulbs

The average CFL bulb manufactured today contains 4mg of mercury. It is an essential part of CFLs without which we would not have such energy-efficient light bulbs. Although it is anything but optimal to have such a toxic material used in the manufacture of a green product, this is no reason not to replace all incandescent bulbs with CFL bulbs at home and in the office.

Why? Because coal-fired power stations emit mercury - and during the average 5 year life of a CFL bulb the electricity generated to power it will have lead to smokestack emissions into the atmosphere of 2.4mg of mercury. Over the same 5 year period the electricity consumed by incandescent bulbs will result in 10mg of emissions. Therefore, even if you factor in the 4mg of mercury contained in the CFL bulb itself, the CFL is still a net winner.

Disposal of CFL Bulbs

Ideally CFL bulbs should be recycled. During the recycling process the mercury can be recaptured and used again and so no mercury escapes into the environment. However most people simply throw their old CFL bulbs into their domestic waste where they are often broken before arriving at landfill. This puts waste collectors at risk of inhaling mercury vapour and it also escapes and ends up in the soil.

If you do not have CFL recycling facilities then wrap your old CFL bulbs in a plastic bag and dispose of them as you would used batteries and other hazardous waste.

More Information about Mercury in CFL Bulbs

The following fact sheet entitled Mercury in Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) (PDF) was prepared by the US Environmental Protection Agency and compares mercury emissions from CFLs and incandescents over a 5-year life. It also covers in some detail the correct disposal of CFL bulbs and was the source of the chart which compared the mercury emissions of the different light bulb types.

SOURCE

.​

Back