Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
The whole point of a human right is the protection of minorities from the majority.

It is certainly a valid idea to debate what are essentially new rights that will be awarded to citizens from here on in. Or should we revert back to the era when a few individuals decided who had rights and what their limits would be? I happen to believe that informed citizens can make reasonable decisions after a good rational debate. It always amazes me that many advocate the strengths of democracy except when the really big issues are at play. Then all of a sudden, the politicans and government should decide for us. In other words the democratic process should never be used where truly great issues are at play. Reasoned debates also serve to bring opponents on side and allow for better legislation to be crafted, and build support and tolerance for issues across society. Stifling debate simply builds resentment in the long run. I think societal debate and direct democracy (a referendum) is appropriate when new rights are being created and they might infringe on the existing ones. As it were, I have no problems with SSM but I do have a problem with that legislation being used to threaten religious institutions who advocate against SSM....or for example allows lawsuits against the Knights of Columbus for not renting out a hall to a SS couple.

It's a fantasy in the minds of opponents of same-sex marriage that the somehow have the overwhelming majority of Canadians with them. In fact, most polls showed that a majority of Canadians supported SSM.

I certainly agree that most Canadians supported SSM at the time. And although I had some reservations to the way it was implemented (or rather imposed), I certainly supported the awarding of marriage rights to SS couples. IMO though that support was hardly uniform. Had that support reflected the distribution of the country in parliament (high support in rural areas, less in rural areas) there certainly would have been a turbulent ride for C-38.

Either way, I've come to appreciate the fact that it happened quick and has fallen of the radar as a divisive issue. I would hate for Canada to become the land of perpetual moral debate a la the USA.

Last edited:
One really good outcome of this election IMHO, is the severe blow to the Republican party. They have steadily lost all their moderate voters with their increasing emphasis on right wing social values and a reduced reliance on small-c Conservative voters who preferred reduced government in the economic and social sphere. Sarah Palin was the ultimate statement of this ultra right wing stance.

It is quite telling that no minority group, younger age demographic, middle or working income class voted Republican. Watching McCain's concession speech with an all white middle age crowd and the way they booed at Obama's name is sooo telling of why they lost. They will finally have to look themselves in the mirror and admit that they have lost their way with their bigoted, ultra-right wing policies, and fear mongering smear campaigns.

I cannot believe there were once the party of Eishenhower.

Like those two men believed the in republican/conservative principles of small govt and fiscal conservatism but knew the key places where govt had to get involved and help the people with. Like Ike supported all of FDR social programs.

Most importantly they knew govt can play a big role in economic decisions and most importantly to the people on this website they created massive infrastructure projetcs.

Eisenhower created the interstate system.

Imagine a Republican today announcing a massive infrastructure project like that today.

Yeah, politicizing social issues is terrible but there's some merit to ballot initiatives on major infrastructure projects. I can't help but envy Angelenos who got to vote for high speed trains and subway extensions. Meanwhile, we're getting streetcars to Malvern foisted upon us and a great big bill for it, too.

The only situation I think it is appropriate to have a referendum is if the question involves changing the constitution. Other than that, govern by the constitution.

Also, dumb for agreeing to appear on Fox News. That anchor really pissed me off, and makes me realize how bad Fox is. Nader's done a hell of a lot of good in the past, though it seems that he has gone insane lately (there are a few cases in which he said some really insensitive things), and never should have used the name "Uncle Tom" - that is inexcusable, especially not backing down, though the reporter was really nasty. Nader could have had a point there, but it blew up in his face. Shame.

Last edited:
i think something's not quite right with nader. last time i saw him on TV he looked like he was suffering from some sort of neurological disorder. i'm not being sarcastic, i think something is seriously wrong with his health.

Aside from using a questionable and inflammatory label, I see nothing particularly invalid about Nader's questions.

His treatment on Fox, and by this deadweight - uh, I mean anchor - is not unexpected.

i think something is seriously wrong with his health.

It's called "age."

i think something's not quite right with nader. last time i saw him on TV he looked like he was suffering from some sort of neurological disorder. i'm not being sarcastic, i think something is seriously wrong with his health.

I saw that piece repeated on FOX "news" late last night (I was hoping to see Sean Hannity have an on-air breakdown) then searched Youtube but nothing turned up at the time.
I have thought the same thing about Nader in the past few months, he's been acting very erratic.

If you wanna consider where Republicanism has gone, consider how the presidential electorial profile of Virginia and West Virginia have flipped. As recently as a decade ago, West Virginia tend to come off as the ultimate in pork-barrel backwoods-yokel Democratic states which only went Republican in Nixon/Reagan-style landslides, while Virginia had more of a Jeffersonian-patrician natural Republican lean to it--now, those same qualities have tilted them opposite...

moderate Republicanism is the only the GOP will turn back States like Ohio and Virgina again.

Aside from using a questionable and inflammatory label, I see nothing particularly invalid about Nader's questions.

His treatment on Fox, and by this deadweight - uh, I mean anchor - is not unexpected.

Well, that label -- is just a dressed up version of the n word (IMHO).

I was not a Obama supporter, but it would be more classy to actually weight until he does something.....

The only situation I think it is appropriate to have a referendum is if the question involves changing the constitution. Other than that, govern by the constitution.

Exactly. It's quite backwards to believe that we should have referendums on capital projects but not on issues that will fundamentally change society. What's the point of democracy if we are to take that route?

Back