• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
You mean gaga? Say it isn't so!

I wonder if Obama's speechwriters can help him recapture the Children's Crusade atmosphere that worked so well earlier this year?

And what will the Clintons do when they get up on stage? It's all getting very exciting again.

i was down at the malt shop today and i heard that mccain is getting the beach boys to play at the RNC. this is a great strategic move for showing he can culturally relate to young voters. those beach boys are soo neato and very keen! we all had a glass of milk to celebrate! what a gay time we will have at the RNC! even our negro friend was excited at the news. he's such an industrious fellow. he says that one day he wants to be mayor of hill valley. boy is he silly!

Actually, it's probably more to solidify the older voters--the Beach Boys as today's version of Archie Bunker music.

Remember, too, that this'd likely be the Mike Love/Bruce Johnston touring edition of the Beach Boys, i.e. no Brian Wilson, he's weird. (And Mike Love, at least, has long been hardcore Republicanesque.)

McCain faces offensive on the home front
Republican candidate tries to fight perception as aloof, rich man after admitting he can't remember offhand how many houses he owns
Article Comments JOHN IBBITSON

From Friday's Globe and Mail

E-mail John Ibbitson | Read Bio | Latest Columns
August 22, 2008 at 3:27 AM EDT

WASHINGTON — Quick: How many houses do you own?

For John McCain, that turned out to be a trick question.

The Arizona senator might have committed a gaffe he comes to deeply regret. A reporter from Politico asked him Wednesday how many houses he owned.

"I think - I'll have my staff get to you," McCain replied. "It's condominiums where - I'll have them get to you."

His staff worsened the situation by later saying the McCains owned "at least" four homes: in Arizona, California and Virginia.

At least?

The reason for the confusion, apparently, is that the McCains own several investment properties. Mr. McCain's wife, Cindy, inherited a beer distribution company, making her worth at least $100-million. Newsweek put the current total of their properties at seven.

Less than a day after Mr. McCain stumbled over the housing question, the Obama campaign had a national television ad on the air. "When asked how many houses he owns, McCain lost track," the announcer declared. "He couldn't remember. Well, it's seven. Seven houses."

Obama supporters were also flagging and flogging a Vogue interview in which Cindy McCain explained why the McCains had purchased a second beachfront California condominium.

"When I bought the first one, my husband, who is not a beach person, said, 'Oh, this is such a waste of money; the kids will never go.' Then it got to the point where they used it so much I couldn't get in the place. So I bought another one." Who among us hasn't been forced to do the same?

What isn't clear is whether this is a so-called "scanner moment" - a seemingly inconsequential act that ends up terminally branding a campaign: George H. W. Bush amazed by an optical scanner at a supermarket; John Kerry windsurfing; Michael Dukakis looking ridiculous in a tank.

Mr. Obama is clearly hoping to make it so. The housing gaffe has been injected straight into his stump speech.

Mr. Obama married the quote to a comment the Arizona senator made on Sunday when asked by evangelist Rick Warren what his definition of wealthy was. Mr. McCain initially joked that making $5-million a year might qualify.

"I guess if you think that being rich means you've got to make $5-million and if you don't know how many houses you have, then it's not surprising that you might think the economy was fundamentally strong," Mr. Obama told a gathering in Chester, Va., yesterday.

"But if you're like me, and you've got one house, or you are like the millions of people who are struggling right now to keep up with their mortgage so they don't lose their home, you might have a different perspective."

In this latest battle of the war rooms, the McCain headquarters fired back quickly.

"Does a guy who made more than $4-million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses?" McCain campaign spokesman Brian Rogers offered as a retort.

By evening, yesterday, the McCain forces had released a counterattack ad of their own.

"Barack Obama knows a lot about housing problems," the narrator intoned. "One of his 'biggest fundraisers' helped him buy his million-dollar mansion. ... Now, he's a convicted felon, facing jail."

Actually, there are no private beaches in Hawaii. The Obamas racked up $4-million in income thanks to Mr. Obama's two bestselling books. But it is true that the couple were associated with Tony Rezko, a Chicago developer who was found guilty in June of a dozen felonies in a corruption scandal.

Both the McCains and the Obamas are vastly richer than most voters. But whether or not the "houses" question has legs, it is likely to undercut Mr. McCain's efforts, which have been quite successful up till now, to portray Mr. Obama as elitist and out of touch.

After all, the Illinois senator may eat arugula and sip Black Forest Berry Honest Tea and read books by authors Mr. McCain has never heard of, but at least he knows where he lives.

No way will he. Democrats never cease to underperform and Republicans never cease to proudly show their stupidity and contempt.

I wonder if President Obama will actually accomplish anything near the expectations held by his supporters, both at home and abroad.

I like the guy, but he is sure to disappoint, especially since his supporters are holding him to be virtually the next coming of Christ.

He has to deal with pulling out of Iraq, putting more resources into Afghanistan (which was neglected because of Iraq), a recession that could result in stagflation, twin fiscal and trade deficits, the rise of the BRIC countries and resultant degradation of US power and influence globally, and all the domestic promises he made (health care, poverty alleviation, etc.)

Any one of those challenges alone could easily tax the office he is seeking and the machinery of government. All those together, are just about a perfect storm. Nevertheless, between the two candidates, he may well be the better guy for the job. But his supporters should be prepared for a tough re-election campaign when the public sees the Obama reality.

Regarding his recent announcement for Biden as VP, I have to say I think its a step in the right direction. Obama needs someone who can go on the attack and be on his feet with an argument.

Biden is that person.

I'm so exhausted with the US political system that nothing ceases to amaze me anymore, and if McCain wins, so be it. It would be a tragedy based on whats available in the Democratic front.

Regarding his recent announcement for Biden as VP, I have to say I think its a step in the right direction. Obama needs someone who can go on the attack and be on his feet with an argument.

Biden is that person.

I'm so exhausted with the US political system that nothing ceases to amaze me anymore, and if McCain wins, so be it. It would be a tragedy based on whats available in the Democratic front.

Voters want to hear policy. His hopeness keeps talking in platitudes, that's what's got him down in the polls. Meanwhile McCain is leading with ideas. Whether they are good or bad is irrelevant when you don't hear what they other guys got in mind. Obama has to get his policies out there instead of his "the candidate is the message" pitch.

Voters want to hear policy. His hopeness keeps talking in platitudes, that's what's got him down in the polls. Meanwhile McCain is leading with ideas. Whether they are good or bad is irrelevant when you don't hear what they other guys got in mind. Obama has to get his policies out there instead of his "the candidate is the message" pitch.

LOL

If that were true, Kerry would be President today instead of Bush. Kerry was the policy-wonk of all policy-wonks, and his policy was what America agreed with.

America polls by majority a nation that wants universal health insurance, the nation polls that it wants to be out of Iraq (and polled that way by November 2004 as well), and the nation polls that its also clearly majority pro-choice.

Policy isn't what Americans vote on, they vote on media hype and fearmongering. If party x can prove that party y is doing something the people hate, regardless whether true or not, they win.

Kerry, a decorated war hero, was characterized as an unpatriotic sellout.

Americans voted for the character created for him, not his policy or his actual history.

It will be very interesting to watch this convention and to see if The One can get Hillary's supporters on side, many of which are threatening to vote for McCain or abstain. Obama is by far superior to McCain, but can he convince everyone else?

I still believe Hillary would have made the better candidate, and was more electable. Unless the huge crowds of previously absent voters from minority groups, leftists, students, young folks, etc. come out in their millions to change the voter demographic, I think Obama may end up not being The One afterall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopkn0lPzM8

Back