Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
How about a President who finally decides to not swear on any religious symbol? That would be refreshing.

doesn't that go under no religious test for public office?

they want everyone else to live by their standards and want to impose their beliefs on others.

Are you talking about fundamentalist christians, islamic extremists or americans in general?

Are you talking about fundamentalist christians, islamic extremists or americans in general?

i think in that situation i was talking about islamic extremists. in different situations, that also applies christian extremists and to some citizens and citizen groups.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

Wow. An Obama assassination triggering Civil War II, a Taliban/Ayatollah-style fundamentalist dictatorship, the works...

Be careful about assuming Obama is going to be the next President. This is still the United States we're talking about.

Latest polls suggest McCain will be our next President, continuing a Republican Presidency. Since Obama has become the likely nominee of the Democrats, McCain has been pulling ahead strongly. By strongly I mean the fact that he was behind the polls for a long time, and he's gained a lot of percent now that Obama is the frontrunner.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20080227/pl_bloomberg/aj20k269dy0

Obama Overtakes Clinton, Tied With McCain, Poll Says

Feb. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Barack Obama moved ahead of Hillary Clinton in the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination, and is in a dead heat in a general-election fight against Republican John McCain, who enjoys an advantage on national- security issues

A Bloomberg/Los Angeles Times survey shows Obama is preferred by Democratic primary voters 48 percent to 42 percent, the first time he has overtaken Clinton in a Bloomberg/Times poll. In a general-election match-up among registered voters, McCain is 2 points ahead of Obama, within the margin of error; he beats Clinton by 6 points.

McCain runs ahead of Obama on every issue except health care. The Arizona senator has a 13-point advantage on Iraq and a 37- point lead on terrorism. He also does better on managing the economy. One area where Obama has a clear edge is on the question of who would bring the most change in Washington; the Illinois senator has an almost 3-to-1 lead.

``Obama has moved decisively ahead of Clinton, but as a general-election candidate he has a tougher road to travel in a campaign against John McCain,'' says Susan Pinkus, the Los Angeles Times polling director. McCain is seen as having the right experience and is ``the person people think could be the strongest leader.''

General Election

Clinton's 9-point lead over Obama in January has vanished. Obama, 46, is increasingly viewed as the Democrat best equipped to beat McCain, 71, in the general election, leading Clinton, a New York senator, by an 18-point margin on that question among Democratic primary voters. The poll was taken before yesterday's debate between Clinton and Obama in Ohio, which along with Texas, Rhode Island and Vermont holds a presidential primary on March 4.

Obama appears to have garnered some of the voters who supported former North Carolina Senator John Edwards, who dropped out of the Democratic race last month, Pinkus says.

By a more than 2-to-1 margin, registered voters say they favor Obama's plan to use tax credits and a fund for refinancing to address the subprime-mortgage crisis. Only 20 percent support Clinton's proposal to impose a moratorium on foreclosures, when informed of Obama's criticism that the plan would raise interest rates.

Clinton splits the vote with Obama among registered Democrats, while in January she had a 10-point advantage with this group. Independents support Obama 52 percent to Clinton's 31 percent.

Women Voters

Her base of support with women, less-educated and lower- income voters is also ebbing. Last month, she had a 12-point lead with women, compared with a 1-point advantage in the latest survey.

``I'm a woman and I'm a Democrat, but I don't automatically support women,'' says Cathy Dobbs, a 52-year-old real-estate agent from Covington, Georgia, who voted for Obama in her state's Feb. 5 primary. ``I'm tired of the establishment, and I don't look at him as the establishment.''

Clinton also had a 10-point lead last month with voters who don't have a college education. That has narrowed to a 1-point lead in this survey. Obama has solid support from male voters, at 52 percent, compared with 40 percent for Clinton.

Clinton, 60, would face a tougher road than Obama as her party's nominee, with almost a third of voters saying the nation isn't ready to elect a female president. That compares with just 20 percent who say the country isn't ready to elect an African- American.

Illegal Immigration

At the same time, Clinton leads McCain on the issues where the Republican has an advantage over Obama, including the economy and illegal immigration, and she beats McCain by a wider margin than Obama on health care.

When it comes to who has the right experience to lead the nation, McCain has a 12-point lead over Clinton, compared with a 31-point advantage over Obama. Clinton leads McCain 45 percent to 23 percent when it comes to the question of who will change Washington, while Obama leads McCain 55 percent to 20 percent on that issue.

Jim Gallo, a 61-year-old business owner from Santa Clarita, California, says he was initially ``entranced'' by Obama's oratory on the stump.

Now, says Gallo, an independent voter, ``I question strongly his credentials, his experience.''

``The direction McCain wants to take this country will be far outlasting,'' he adds.

The poll of 1,246 registered voters was conducted Feb. 21-25 and has a margin of sampling error of 3 percentage points. For the Democratic primary voters, the margin is 5 points and for Republicans it is 6 points.

Republican Satisfaction

In another sign of strength for McCain, more than half of Republican voters say they are happy with him as their nominee, including a majority of conservatives.

Still, just one in 10 says they are enthusiastic about the Arizona senator. Almost 3 in 10 conservatives and almost 40 percent who say they belong to the religious right say McCain isn't a true conservative.

Among Republican voters who say they aren't happy with McCain, half say they would either stay home or vote for another candidate. A plurality of Republicans, 42 percent, says Obama would be the more difficult Democratic candidate for McCain to beat in November, compared with 14 percent who choose Clinton.

Independents appear to be a significant problem for Clinton in a general election. While she has strong favorable ratings from Democrats, at 82 percent, just 48 percent of independents agree. Obama has a 63 percent favorable rating among independents, while McCain has a 65 percent positive rating.

Those preferences buttress Obama's more competitive position against McCain in a general election.

The poll also shows some potential signs of trouble for McCain, who has closely aligned himself with President George W. Bush on the Iraq war.

Just 35 percent of U.S. voters approve of the job Bush is doing as president, with only 16 percent strongly approving; 46 percent say they disapprove strongly. Three-fifths of voters say the situation in Iraq wasn't worth going to war over.

To contact the reporter on this story: Heidi Przybyla in Washington at hprzybyla@bloomberg.net .

Here are two other recent polls suggesting a McCain/Republican presidential victory this year:

http://rasmussenreports.com/public_...ial_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows John McCain leading both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in general election match-ups. McCain now leads Obama 46% to 43% and Clinton 48% to 43%.

...and i lost the link to the other one before i posted. lol

These are the newest, freshest polls released February 27th.

Maybe the new polling will give Hillary a boost. I suspect that the Obama "Yes we can" business may run out of steam before November.

I have seen the polls re Obama vs McCain and Clinton vs McCain.

Obama is closer to McCain than Hillary is (6 percent difference for Hillary; 2 percent difference for Obama).

So if that is the basis of picking Hillary - then you are going in the wrong direction. Personally I think it will be easier for McCain to beat Hillary now. Personally I prefer McCain over both of them, but even though Obama is more Liberal than I would prefer - I would then choose Obama second (ranking on preference out of the three).

------------------

Poll: GOP frontman ‘stronger leader’

By Herald staff
Thursday, February 28, 2008 - Added 1h ago

A new Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll shows presumptive GOP presidential nominee John McCain leading both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton by narrow margins in the general election.

The poll finds by larger margins that Americans in both parties consider him the “stronger leader.”

The LA Times suggested that its poll findings indicate that despite widespread disatisfaction with eight years of Republican rule and war, McCain’s experience may appeal to a broad spectrum of voters.

The Democrats have made withdrawal from Iraq key planks in their foreign policy platforms, and have mocked McCain for his offhand remark that America is in a war that could last “100 years.”

In head-to-head contests, the poll had McCain leading Clinton 46 percent to 40 percent, and Obama 44 percent to 42 percent. McCain is viewed favorably by 61 percent of all registered voters, including a plurality of Democrats, the LA Times reported.

Poll respondents, when asked to compare McCain to either Democrat, rated him the “strongest leader” with the “right experience to be president,” beating Obama by 31 points and Clinton by 12.

Maybe the new polling will give Hillary a boost. I suspect that the Obama "Yes we can" business may run out of steam before November.

Its my biggest fear: Obama's supreme idealism wins him a narrow victory in the primaries, and the Obamamania becomes similar to the Vietnam anti-war candidate George McGovern who lost in a landslide to NIXON and allowed for his partial second term.

George McGovern was the candidate that had the prime, youthful idealistic message of his day. He then went on from attracting just enough independents and youth to win in the 1972 Democratic primary just to lose in a huge, huge landslide in the fall against Nixon who had no plans to totally withdraw from Vietnam at that time.

This election has a lot of similarities.

Barack Obama's candidacy is going to end up being another George McGovern if we don't be careful.

When have we seen so many college-aged youth and ethnic minorities becoming this interested in American politics before? If these two, never before seen lobbies unite behind one frontrunner (guess who), it'd be of no shock that the Democrats pull a victory come November. And if all else fails remember the Achilles' Heel that the Bush Administration has legacized for the Republicans, still very raw and fresh in global mindsets.

So lets summise. Between not wanting a president who may die in office and one of the same ilk as warmongering and economy squandoring Bushites, Obama's got it in the bag!!

When have we seen so many college-aged youth and ethnic minorities becoming this interested in American politics before?

To answer directly: In 1972, when the idealistic anti-war youthful (relative to Presidential campaigns) candidate of George McGovern won the exact same demographic groups as Obama in a close Primary race and then went on to lose the general election in a landslide to a moderate Republican almost identical to John McCain in the name of Richard Nixon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_1972

Ironically, his ultimate running mate for Vice President, Sargent Shriver, is the father of current First Lady of California Maria Shriver, wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who strongly backs Obama.

Ralph Nader is the only candidate who has done anything significant to improve people's lives. Neither the former First Lady, nor the Tiger Beat Candidate, nor the old POW have a record that compares to his.

Back