News   Jul 08, 2024
 325     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 945     5 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 576     0 

U of Waterloo: School of Pharmacy (Dntn Kitchener, 8s, Hariri Pontarini/Robbie/Y+W)

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From Building.ca

Dispensing wisdom

KITCHENER/WATERLOO, Ont. - The University of Waterloo's Faculty of Science is getting a new home in downtown Kitchener for the School of Pharmacy. Ground has been broken and the building, designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects together with Robbie/Young + Wright Architects, both of Toronto, represents the first phase of a proposed Health Sciences Campus, for which the school will act as an anchor.

"We're making a new campus," explains Hariri Pontarini principal Siamak Hariri. "How do you begin the making of a campus? You have to take a very urban approach, because this isn't a suburban campus, and you have to use quality materials. It must be well-built, well-executed and able to withstand the test of time."

This first phase will include an eight-storey tower on the corner of King and Victoria Streets and a four-storey, L-shaped structure that will have classrooms, labs, a resource centre/library and a food outlet. The brick building will have a strong vertical character, with long windows reminiscent of the industrial style of the old warehouses that surround it in an area dubbed the Warehouse District. The City of Kitchener transferred the downtown site to the university, a gift worth approximately $30 million.

The project's next phases will include a satellite of the McMaster University Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine; a Centre for Family Medicine; a central outdoor courtyard; and a medicine garden. Intended to reflect the ancient roots of pharmacology, the garden will contain a variety of plants with known medicinal uses.

"It [the School of Pharmacy] will be built to very high sustainability standards," Hariri says. The team is specifying very durable materials to stand up to the rigors of academic usage, and the design features access to operable windows and natural light. "The labs have a whole wall of glass facing north."

Designed to be a good urban citizen, the building will have an urban block structure. Setbacks, multiple entrances and pedestrian scale lighting will encourage circulation. The public realm will be enhanced with landscaped sidewalks and pedestrian linkages and decorative street furniture. A commercial pharmacy at grade level will give the students hands-on experience and the opportunity to mix with the public.

When complete, the clinic component will surround the garden "like two hands clasped around the courtyard." This embrace of the public space by the institutional is one of Hariri's favourite parts of the design.

"What's most pleasurable is the idea of a learning institution going hand-in-hand with a facility that serves the public," he says. "When I went to school, we never experienced what it all meant in front of us. If you're going to school here, studying medicine, and you see across the courtyard someone who might be your grandmother, it grounds you.".

There is also more info at the School of Pharmacy, with a pic of the model of the project. Very reminiscent of the Schulich School of Business at York.

AoD

That's great for the city. King & Victoria was the heart of a dead zone between downtown Waterloo and downtown Kitchener.

This will align nicely with plans for an lrt up king (if that's coming to anything)

U of Waterloo: Pharmacy Building

... or is it? yes it is... but it speaks to a wonderful opportinity.

University of Waterloo Pharmacy building u/C (from ssp).

UWSchoolofPharmacy-3.jpg

I really, really, want to like this. Maybe once it's finished it'll come together. But I'm thinking the full-scale pattern on those panels is too large for what they're trying to do with it.

I think its looking good. Its definitely something different, but in a good way. It sure beats the cladding on Ryerson's Business Building.

This will probably get tired after a few years... I'll be able to give a better opinion when it's finished.

I doubt that they will be re-arranging the printed panels... havent you guys ever heard of abstract? I think this is looking pretty cool!

I love it. Very artsy and distinctive. It takes alot of current themes and adds interest to them.

It does look like the panel designer or architect found a piece of 1970's wallpaper and used the pattern.

I'm in love with this one. I've been up close to it in real life and it's very nice.

Subject matter would make more sense on the Botany Building than Pharmacy.
i.e. pills and more pills would have been better here (with licences from the big pharmas so as not to infringe drug patents).
But maybe they're expanding into naturopathic pharmaceuticals.

There are numerous medicines derived from various plants, plus early pharmacology was basically a form of herbalism... so it makes perfect sense to have them on the Pharmacy building.

Precisely. That's what alot of the ideology behind this building was. Taking medicine back to its "roots". (No pun intended.)

Back