News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Twenty Gothic (High Park, Monarch, 8s, &Co)

It is meant to co-exist with the surrounding turn-of-the century homes, so on that basis, it is of good design. 'Co-hesive Architecture' is the term to describe it. I like it. It is really cool to view it from the north part of High Park.

didn't realize this was gonna be built on top of a parking garage?? hmm... what a podium

I think you are referring to the back of the building. The front is on Gothic Avenue. And, most of the building is actually built on top of the subway tunnel. The parking garage over-hangs the tunnel.

Hi All

I found this thread after googling Twenty Gothic - I am a purchaser and resident of High Park. My fiance and I actually started a Facebook group for owners of Twenty Gothic but Monarch hasn't been too cooperative with sharing that information with other owners so I hope they find us eventually.

Anyway, I just thought I would share some photos of the building from my vantage point in my rental unit next door. Watching your own condo building being built SLOWLY BUT SURELY is a tough thing, but alas it's almost move in time. I just received my confirmed occupancy date for late February 2009. As we're on the first floor, we're a bit early - the top floors will be occupied in June of next year. This has been a bitter sweet event for me - I was one of the "victims" of the infamous Harry Stinson and waited from December 2002 t February of 2007 for our three floor unit in High Park Lofts, but eventually gave up due to MANY reasons. I was FURIOUS when Monarch delayed this condo one year, but am happy that at least they have made up some time....apparently according to the construction workers on site, most of the delay was due to the special vibration plates that have been installed to minimize NV from the subway.

I still imagine I'll hear the trains as they pull in and out of the tunnel on the west end of the station (where they come out above ground) but it will be no worse then what I could hear in my 1920s three floor walk upa couple of blocks west...I could feel the subway three floors up! But you do get used to it...

Anyhow, attached are some photos I took today - the zoom is hard to distinguish but is of the end unit on the first floor. It would be wonderful to take a tour of the inside, as we did with High Park Lofts while it was under construction, however I doubt Monarch does such a thing.

Thanks
Kristina

PS - I respectfully disagree with some of the disparaging comments about BWV - the Green Thumb is one of the best fruit and veggie stands I've come across, The Bloor West Meat Market, while expensve, carries excellent meats and amazing chicken, and all around the shops are great. Have you ever had lunch at Bread and Roses...their soup is amazing! I do have to agree about the Chef's Table...like how is that place still in business? The cook sometimes comes out without his shirt on...gross! I was hoping when it was redone, it would come out as a coffee shop, not just another restaurant.

:)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 273
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 280
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 291
Welcome aboard. You might want to also put a post in the Real Estate sub-forum directing people to your Facebook page.

I think this building looks good, contrary to some opinion here, but I sure hope they have soundproofed it properly. There aren't many residential buildings which are directly above the subway, as this one is.

The building loks so nice with all the green (trees) in the background. Something you do not see in the core.

Welcome aboard. You might want to also put a post in the Real Estate sub-forum directing people to your Facebook page.

I think this building looks good, contrary to some opinion here, but I sure hope they have soundproofed it properly. There aren't many residential buildings which are directly above the subway, as this one is.

...What about The Kensington at Old Mill, and The Residences of The Old Mill...? Both are built on top of subway lines. And, Kingsway On The Park @ Bloor/Islington (older, 1980s complex).

The building loks so nice with all the green (trees) in the background. Something you do not see in the core.

I agree completely. I look from the rooftop of my rental and it's just so nice to see all the trees around...I feel so connected living in this neighborhood. Even though I'm a "twenty-something" I really wouldn't be happy living in the downtown core...it's too much concrete, too busy and congested. I love going downtown, just don't like to live there :)

Alvar - what's your connection to the community?

Kristina

Currently live in the 'hood. Originally from another part of the province, and when I first moved to Toronto, was in Bloor/Islington, then Mimico. Discovered BloorWest/High Park, and have never looked back. Checked out all the neighbourhoods in Toronto, and this one was the one for me. Really, I don't think native Torontonians know how cool it is. I travel to Sweden quite a bit, and this is how a lot of their 'new towns' of the 50/60s are. Green space, a little village, all easily accessible to the city-centre via train. Nature is GOD in Sweden, and so it is in High Park. And, don't you like how it seems to be such a fit, active place....? Joggers/bikers everywhere. And, of course, very dog-friendly. No wonder the developers are circling like vultures. Next up for condos: the used car lot on Bloor, west of Jane. Pretty big piece of land, so I am expecting something impressive to go up there.

...What about The Kensington at Old Mill, and The Residences of The Old Mill...? Both are built on top of subway lines. And, Kingsway On The Park @ Bloor/Islington (older, 1980s complex).

True, although I think you would find an insulating layer of earth between the subway structure and these buildings. 20 Gothic is being built directly on top of the subway itself, and there are few of those (2 Bloor East is also built directly on top of the subway structure, if I'm not mistaken).

I join you in looking forward to a good building at Bloor and Jane. It's a great location and I hope they do something nice there.

That's interesting that Old Mill PBG would be selling it's used car lot, but I guess if they can get good coin for it, that would be great. As for the area, I totally feel surrounded by "healthy" people :) Always tons of people jogging, lots of cyclists and lots of dog walkers.

Anways...so...I would like to say that I can confirm that you CANNOT feel or hear the subway in Twenty Gothic. The vibration plates they've installed work splendidly. That's all for now. ;)

K

Wow. 20 Gothic is really progressing. They even appear to have landscaped the huge, common terrace at the front of the building. And, the circular driveway in front has also been completed, with inter-locking stone. The building, with its L-shape design and circular front driveway, has a cool 60s feel to it. The building itself is also on an angle. More pictures, anyone....?

Wow. 20 Gothic is really progressing. They even appear to have landscaped the huge, common terrace at the front of the building. And, the circular driveway in front has also been completed, with inter-locking stone. The building, with its L-shape design and circular front driveway, has a cool 60s feel to it. The building itself is also on an angle. More pictures, anyone....?

I'll try and snap some tonight. They've essentially finished the fascia on the south (back) side and I have to say from my vantage ponit (Very close up) it's kind of ugly (the colours), but when you step back from across the street, it's quite striking with all that glass on the main floors. They've started to install some of the balcony railings too, so that will clean up the look now. I'll have to get around to the front side to check out the driveway.

I can't wait to get our unit done and us in!

Kristina

Back