News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Twenty Gothic (High Park, Monarch, 8s, &Co)

While the area has plenty of Ukrainian and Polish and Russian delis, I was surprised to discover, near Jane, a Dutch place. I had this really tasty Dutch apricot Vla (basically, apricot and custard tart), I think I have a photo of the place somewhere on my hd. But you wouldn't know it's Dutch, because it has a French-sounding name. Anyhow, very old school, but cool.:)

Bloor West Village is a perfect place for boring ppl. Which explains why I hate it....:)

While the area has plenty of Ukrainian and Polish and Russian delis, I was surprised to discover, near Jane, a Dutch place. I had this really tasty Dutch apricot Vla (basically, apricot and custard tart), I think I have a photo of the place somewhere on my hd. But you wouldn't know it's Dutch, because it has a French-sounding name. Anyhow, very old school, but cool.:)

Bloor West Village is a perfect place for boring ppl. Which explains why I hate it....:)

I'm curious, what's the name of this place? I've never heard of a Dutch establishment in Toronto (rumour has it their cuisine leaves a lot to be desired)

Towered, just for you, I suddenly remembered the name of this old school Dutch pastry shop (they've been in Toronto since the 1930's I believe):

Petit Paris Cake & Coffee Shop Inc.

2382 Bloor Street West
Toronto, ON
Canada
(416) 769-9881

They have lotsa yummy little cookies made daily--for example, those spicy cookies the Dutch love. I'll try to find that photo I took a month ago.

Can you believe that Bloor West Village still does not have a Tim Hortons....? One arrived in the Kingsway about a year+ ago. High rents, or just too much competition from all the lovely little independents?

Can you believe that Bloor West Village still does not have a Tim Hortons....? One arrived in the Kingsway about a year+ ago. High rents, or just too much competition from all the lovely little independents?

There's a Coffee Crime in the nabe - a low-end of the Timmy's market segment.

No, the ESSO Tims does not count. That is a 'kiosk' store. Not a full service, sit down Tims.

070808 photo update:

Around noon today, damn hot on the street, what's been accomplished in the past 8 days?

DSC07997.jpg

Those 'terrace' suites would be cool. Ground level, but not really, as they are located on the south side, which is raised. One could keep their drapes open without fear of peeping toms.

080608 photo update

Approaching High Park subway station from the West:

My verdict: inoffensive, conservative but okay building design; the location sucks because the subway is noisy and shakes the building, and the older apartment stock in the area is cheaper and better built. Not Clewes' calibre, but not a failure either.

Now let's tour the neighbourhood: Bloor West retail strip that buyers of this project will frequent.

From a Russian Deli with bad Russian/Polish (think expired) food and really cold customer service, to a 3rd rate vegetable stand, to MacKenzie's Pub where (Mayor) David Miller hangs out, to the Chef's Table that somehow stays in business, to the local (up the hill=yuck, too much work) Runnymede Library branch, No Frills, LCBO and finally some ethnic delis and pubs, there really isn't much to do in Bloor West Village. Oh and a yuppie SBUX or two.

New residents will eventually discover: that the beauty of living in High Park/Bloor West Village is not in apartment/condo living, nor the park itself, but rather owning your own 100 year old house with private yard, fireplace, etc....

New residents will eventually discover: that the beauty of living in High Park/Bloor West Village is not in apartment/condo living, nor the park itself, but rather owning your own 100 year old house with private yard, fireplace, etc....

A co-worker of mine owns a house just like that, and it backs the ravine north of Bloor giving him a surprisingly large back yard. Most of the renovations, mainly interior are really nice. I would definitely love to own one of those houses over any other single detached dwelling in the GTA. Well, Riverdale would be nice too.

Back