507     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 420     0 

TV Antennas making a comeback in Canada

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
OTTAWA — A spiny pack of near-extinct, multi-limbed creatures are turning up in cities across Canada, creeping up the sides of buildings and settling on urban rooftops.

TV antennas are making a tentative comeback in this country.

Nobody in the broadcasting industry or the government seems to have a handle on how many Canadians are scrapping cable and satellite in favour of the old-school technology, but there is anecdotal evidence that a mini-boom is under way.

Ironically, it's all being fuelled by the high-tech switch by broadcasters from analog to digital and high-definition channels.

Viewers are discovering that they can get over-the-air, digital television stations that proponents say come through even better than on cable and satellite, where signals are compressed.

"And the magic word is 'free,"' says Jon LeBlanc, Canada's antenna guru.

LeBlanc began an "over-the-air" discussion board on www.digitalhome.ca five years ago, where a few diehard antenna fans would pop by. Now he's the most popular forum on the site, with dozens of new people logging on every month to find out about getting hooked up.

LeBlanc himself gets 14 digital stations, including six from the United States, with his rooftop antenna in Delta, B.C..

"If a person weeds through what they're actually watching, does the value-added provided by a cable company or a satellite company make any sense?In this financial environment, more and more people are saying No," says LeBlanc, a former high-tech worker.

"To my way of thinking, this is a renaissance of the over-the-air type of broadcasting, and I think the broadcasters, especially the private networks, are missing something here."

Conventional TV broadcasters say they're struggling to survive in a multi-channel universe with dwindling ad revenues. They are pushing the government to provide some regulatory and financial relief, particularly when it comes to the costs of converting their transmitters to digital by 2011.

But the industry has not publicly discussed the phenomenon of Canadians willingly rejecting the 500-channel universe in favour of the signals they can catch locally.

The Canadian Association of Broadcasters says it's not something they have noted at all.

Only one would-be TV broadcaster, Toronto businessman John Bitove, had been pushing the CRTC last year to allow him to start up a new Canadian HD network with over-the-air viewers in mind. He was unsuccessful.

The number of Canadians who rely on over-the-air TV is repeatedly pegged at nine per cent nationally, 16 per cent in Quebec.

David Purdy, vice-president of video product management for Rogers Communications, predicts those numbers will continue to decline once all Canadian stations convert to digital by August 2011.

He points to the range of specialty channels, and now video-on-demand, that cable companies offer and Canadians are lapping up.

"The notion that a linear television offering, whether through rabbit ears or a digital receiver, is somehow going to meet the customer's needs is completely not reflective of the world we live in," Purdy said.

"People want to be able to watch what they want, where they want, when they want."

LeBlanc says the over-the-air audience numbers are outdated, and points to antenna dealers who are seeing a surge in business.

Karim Sunderani, co-owner of Toronto's Save and Replay store, says he's been selling 1,000 antennas a month, and he feels he's at the cusp of something big.

Sunderani's been getting orders from condominiums, motels, nursing homes and boarding houses to put up antennas.

"It's hard to believe, we're in 2009 and it's something you expect your grandfather to have," says Sunderani, who gets a dozen channels in his store with a $50 set-top antenna.

"It's mainly the picture quality. If you look at the difference between the old VHF, the UHF is stunning, we're actually getting high-definition and obviously no monthly bills once you put the antenna up."

Sunderani describes the Greater Toronto Area as a "hotspot," where some viewers can get up to 25 channels.

Winnipeg, parts of the B.C. lower mainland and large swaths around Montreal have been cited as prime over-the-air viewing spots.

Hooking up to an antenna is a different recipe for every viewer, Sunderani and LeBlanc note.

Some high-rise dwellers in Toronto can plug a coaxial cable from their TV into a small interior antenna, place it on a shelf or even on top of their TV, run a channel scan, and bob's your uncle.

Their TV must have an ATSC tuner built in, as most new models do, but a digital converter box will do the trick otherwise.

The investment there could be in the range of $50-$150.

Others, however, must go to greater lengths, putting larger sized antennas in their attics, or up on their roofs. Depending on the topography of where Canadians lives, they can get TV reception easily or with more effort. Rooftop installations can go up to $500 or more.

And then there are those handy Canadians who have found a dollar-store solution to getting TV - Internet tales and Youtube tips abound.

"Blake W," a contributor to LeBlanc's online forum, recently recounted a harrowing tale of nearly missing the third period of a Canucks playoff game because nobody could find the satellite converter in a community centre.

MacGyver-style, Blake took the FM antenna wire off a nearby radio, stripped one of the ends, and stuck it into the back of the high-end flat-screen TV. After a channel scan, they turned up CBC "in glorious HD."

"The group of 20 collectively gasped and clapped to show their thanks," Blake, of Richmond, B.C., writes. "By this time tho', there was only three mins left in the game. The Canucks won, and I had 20 brand new digital TV believers. It was a good night."

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

I had an antenna until recently, and absolutely no one believed me when I told them I was picking up HD over the air. I only really got rid of the antenna because I moved and the new condo was laid out in such a way as to make it incredibly awkward to get decent reception. Amazing tho what you can get with some west exposure and a $20 radio shack special

It's about time this is getting press! Rogers and Bell have been getting away with saying you can only get HD on cable or satellite for far too long. :)

I've been off cable for about 2 years now, saving enough to have bought 3 big screen HD TVs.

I built a homemade antenna out of a few wire hangers, some cable and a coaxial splitter. I even disguised it as an IKEA magazine rack since I have to keep it indoors (I live in a building).

When I cancelled my cable, Rogers insisted on all their packages and offered me free HD, la la la... I told them to just cancel it please.

A few months later, a Rogers reseller agent comes to my door. He said he noticed I have a Rogers phone and internet but have no cable. I thought he was gonna give me a deal on those 2 that I do use so I invited him in.

We sat on the couch and he noticed my 48" Sharp Aquos. He looked at me confused. He said something like: "You have such a nice TV. And you don't have cable? That's a waste. You're not getting the HD channels that you can display on that TV. With Rogers you ge.... ".

I said I am. I switched it on and he was baffled that I was getting all the American versions of NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, PBS (3 channels) plus the Canadian CBC (in English and French), CityTV, Global, CHCH, SunTV, and OMNI 1 and 2.... all in glorious uncompressed HD :D

He must have thought I was doing something illegal. I showed him the antenna, then showed him the door after I realized he wasn't going to give me any deals on Internet and my Rogers wireless phone.

Early on in the process when I was researching this, I went to all the big box electronics stores looking for a UHF antenna. None of them offered anything substantial. They had those little ones you put on top of your set. The Best Buy people must have a deal with Rogers because they adamantly told me that I could only get HD with cable. I went to all the electronics stores on Yonge Street. Even the well known Active Surplus gave me a blank look when I asked for an outdoor UHF antenna. Nobody had anything.

So I just built one myself. I'll never forget the expression on my girlfriend's face after I put together this mangle of wire hangers, cardboard and tin foil... I hadn't even put it on the wall yet. I held it up in the air with my hand and the TV started finding channels.

When it was done, they all came in crystal clear HD and my gf's mouth was wide open. LoL!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Note that you have to have a good view of Lake Ontario (if you're in the GTA) from where you're pointing the antenna to be able to pick up the American channels. Otherwise, you'll just get the Canadian ones.

Things will only get better on June 12th when the Americans turn off all analogue signal (which causes interference and reduces reception) and begin broadcasting digital signals with their primary antennae currently being used for their traditional analogue signal.

I had an antenna until recently, and absolutely no one believed me when I told them I was picking up HD over the air.

A lot of people think the CN Tower is just a really high restaurant.

all in glorious uncompressed HD

OTA HD is compressed. MPEG4, 19.8Mbps

Things will only get better on June 12th when the Americans turn off all analogue signal (which causes interference and reduces reception)

Analog signals don't cause interference and reduced reception.

I don't even have an antenna, but I get CTV, Global, CBC, and OMNI1 crystal clear. I also get TVO, Radio-Canada, Citytv, and OMNI2 as fairly decent. Free TV!
My apt faces the CN tower, so that's likely the reason. It is truly amazing how good the picture is

Well, technically, you don't really need an antenna. You can use a paper clip and pick up a few channels.

I'm used to using antennas as my parents live in the country. I told my partner to get rid of the cable and switch to antenna, because it's free! My partner was paying over $55 dollars a month being blown in the air. It's hard to adjust at first, but then you eventually get used to it. I'm very grateful we can still utilize them until 2011, correct?

The CRTC has mandated that in 2011, all Canadian TV stations must broadcast exclusively in digital.

If you have a digital TV (most purchased in the last few years are), you can start taking advantage of free HD today and don't have to worry about the 2011 date.

Your older TV's however, won't work without a converter box, but once you get that box (in the $40-$50 range), you'll get much better quality channels without the ghosting or static you're used to experiencing with analogue TV. With digital, you either get a channel crystal clear or you don't get it at all. If you got it in analogue, you're very likely to get a perfect image in digital.

I've experimented switching between analogue and digital with my home made antenna: In analogue I get NBC barely visible with tons of static in both the image and sound. Switch to digital, and it's the cleanest HD image you can think of. I can see the pores on Conan O'Brien's nose. Amazing. Even a weak signal will get you to HD Nirvana.

For the technical geeks: This is because UHF analogue waves can be interrupted by buildings, crossing signals, interference from microwaves, cell phones, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc, feeds that are too close together and so on. With digital, it's all 0's and 1's. Either the signal is on or off, which is much less susceptible to interference.

Also, while analogue takes up a whole "channel number", digital requires much less bandwidth so you'll begin to see channels offer multiple feeds. For example, CityTV could broadcast their regular channel on 57.1 and a 24/7 weather/news ticker on 57.2. OMNI could offer 3 language versions of their news at the same time.

You might even see experiments like those found in the 90s where a movie was filmed from the vantage point of 2 different characters. Both movies were being played at the same time and you could switch between channels to switch between actor's perspectives.
That could be very useful in sports where switching the channel within the channel, you can view different camera angles.

UHF antennae are making a big comeback, and I'm glad mainstream news is finally talking about it.

Last edited:
My dad is one of these OTA nuts. Though he's never built his own antenna, so kudos to you MetroMan!

Rogers and Bell have really done a job on Canadians with this false belief that the only way to get HD is through cable or satellite.

My dad records tons of stuff off of PBS's HD signal. We still have cable though, because it's the only way to get my mom and grandmother's Polish TV station (which is another bloody ripoff, $25 a month per TV (they have it on two TVs) for ONE channel!!!)

That is a ripoff! Are they tech saavy? Most likely, all the Polish content they're interested is available online on the channels that broadcast the original feeds.

what DTV over air channels can you pickup in the GTA area?

any google maps mashup showing how far transmitters reach?

That is a ripoff! Are they tech saavy? Most likely, all the Polish content they're interested is available online on the channels that broadcast the original feeds.

lol my mom and her mom aren't wanna watch TV online haha, even if it were available, which it may or may not be.

the star

good article in the star /www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/640344.

For the technical geeks: This is because UHF analogue waves can be interrupted by buildings, crossing signals, interference from microwaves, cell phones, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc, feeds that are too close together and so on. With digital, it's all 0's and 1's. Either the signal is on or off, which is much less susceptible to interference.

Not quite. The carrier is still at UHF, it's just modulated with a QPSK signal instead of a continuously variable signal. The QPSK modulated carrier is just as susceptable to interference as an analog modulated carrier, it's the demodulation and recovery that is easier with a digital signal.

Also, while analogue takes up a whole "channel number", digital requires much less bandwidth

No, digital signals require more bandwidth then analog. Hence they have to be compressed to fit with in the 6MHz band.

I'm very grateful we can still utilize them until 2011, correct?

You can use an antenna for as long as broadcasting exists.

Well, technically, you don't really need an antenna. You can use a paper clip and pick up a few channels.

Technically, the paper clip is the antenna.

Last edited:
lol my mom and her mom aren't wanna watch TV online haha, even if it were available, which it may or may not be.

Well, I was getting to that part... :p

Since canceling cable, I realized wouldn't have access to certain cable only channels, (Discovery, CNN, A&E, etc). I went out and bought an AppleTV. To put the concept simple: It's basically an iPod for your TV.

Just like you can buy songs à la carte, you can do so with movies and TV shows, either from your computer in iTunes and it all syncs to the AppleTV or right from your couch.

So instead of $100 per month on Cable, every few months, I buy a $100 iTunes card. Whenever I feel like watching a particular show, I buy it ($1.99) and watch it on my time. And whatever I buy I watch, unlike cable where at any given moment, there's 200 channels and nothing on. Movie rentals are $3.99/$5.99 in HD.

What less tech saavy people could do is get one of those boxes and subscribe to Polish podcasts (free). I subscribe to Anderson Cooper and Larry King on CNN. When a new one is available, you'll see it on your TV, use the remote to select it and you're watching CNN.... free.

For Polish channels, I'm not sure if there is iTunes w/tv shows in Poland but if there is, she can get a relative to buy her an iTunes card from there and sign up to the Polish iTunes and buy only the shows she wants. She'll probably spend $10-$20 a month, tops. Certainly a lot cheaper than $50 per TV, and she can watch what she wants on demand, on her own time (and gets to keep the content).

With the AppleTV+OverTheAirHD combo, there's no way I'd go back to cable.

$100 test..

Thanks for this info..

I might try it out.

FYI, Found this map and list of channels..

Here are the channels.
http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/

Here is a handy map where the broadcast towers are..
http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/bigmap.htm

Here is the setup that I am thinking of getting.. A small test for $100..

Digital Converter Box $54.01 (On Sale)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4573679&CatId=4039

A80-1060-01.jpg

Indoor UHF Antenna $39
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4361733&CatId=2767
A299-1116-mainx.jpg

Back