News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 888     1 

TTC surface stop spacing

Not extending with subways is as stupid as in the 1800's when they found themselves with 3 different rail gauges.
Fortunately we are extending both the Spadina and hopefully Yonge subways.

All the experts have demonstrated that there isn't enough demand to extend Sheppard. How are you more qualified than the experts?

Fortunately we are extending both the Spadina and hopefully Yonge subways.

All the experts have demonstrated that there isn't enough demand to extend Sheppard. How are you more qualified than the experts?

You're so anti-Sheppard, yet support the Spadina extension into Vaughan which has even less demand. How does position make you qualified to judge anything?

You're so anti-Sheppard, yet support the Spadina extension into Vaughan which has even less demand. How does position make you qualified to judge anything?
TTC has estimated that the Sheppard extension to Victoria Park would cost $500 million per kilometre, yet carry less passengers than the Spadina extension to York, which costs far less.

Besides, Spadina is fully-funded. Sheppard is fully not-funded. We have to competing proposals for Sheppard. One would cost $1-billion for a 2-km under-used extension to Victoria Park; and the other would provide 12-km of LRT to Morningside. It's been demonstrated quite clearly that the LRT would serve more people, and have more benefits.

Only a politician as dumb as Rob Ford would push the Sheppard subway project, when it has been clearly demonstrated how little benefit there is from it. And I fail to see why pro-Ford folks like you continue to push such a complete waste of money. I'm tired of lefties like you and Rob Ford who thinks money grows in trees.

Only a politician as dumb as Rob Ford would push the Sheppard subway project, when it has been clearly demonstrated how little benefit there is from it.

No offense but the line should at least be extended to VP in order to deal with the traffic nightmare at Fairview Mall.

No offense but the line should at least be extended to VP in order to deal with the traffic nightmare at Fairview Mall.
I was advocating that as part the Sheppard East LRT project until I learned it would cost $1 billion, and we could instead build the entire Sheppard East LRT to Morningside for the same price, including an underground section to east of the DVP. The underground piece of LRT solves the traffic nightmare problem at Fairview Mall, and saves a lot of money.

Economic conditions change contracts all the time

So you don't think the city should abide by contracts?

Check out the aviation industry. Countries and airlines cancel and change contracts constantly. Better to pay a fee for that than complete a contract that makes no sense.

$500M per km seems pricey, why don't we open the bidding to other companies?

TTC has estimated that the Sheppard extension to Victoria Park would cost $500 million per kilometre, yet carry less passengers than the Spadina extension to York, which costs far less.
And I fail to see why pro-Ford folks like you continue to push such a complete waste of money. I'm tired of lefties like you and Rob Ford who thinks money grows in trees.

In fact, for such a project, we should open it up to companies from other countries.

In fact, for such a project, we should open it up to companies from other countries.
Why wouldn't they ... foreign companies have been bidding on Spadina construction and Eglinton construction. Lowest bidder wins. I don't see why a foreign company would have a particular advantage on price.

...not to mention the fact that this is a rough TTC estimate, and has not gone through any bidding whatsoever.

I feel like a newspaper comment section somewhere lost a poster.

There's zero point in putting any of a supposed SELRT underground at all, you might as well just extend the Sheppard subway a few stops and have BRT the rest of the way.

Personally I would like to see the "subway" extended to Vic Park, with a stop at Consumers, and then continue as a ROW to STC and then to the Zoo area at least.

JM2CW

Back