News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 414     0 

TTC surface stop spacing

You're forgetting that this is a hospital, not a mall or some other attraction. Who frequents hospitals? It is the sick and the elderly, just because 90-95m may not seem like much to an able bodied person, it could very well be perceived as a considerable distance to those in wheelchairs and in need of other aids to get around, particularly in the type of weather we are currently having where once again the most vulnerable are the elderly and sick. It's a worthy argument to make.

Maybe they should just move the near-side stop of the Victoria & Queen to be a far-side stop. Oh wait! A far-side stop at Victoria & Queen would make it a near-side stop at Yonge & Queen.

Sorry. If one is too ill to walk from Yonge & Queen to the hospital, they should take an ambulance or wheel-trans.

You're forgetting that this is a hospital, not a mall or some other attraction. Who frequents hospitals? It is the sick and the elderly, just because 90-95m may not seem like much to an able bodied person, it could very well be perceived as a considerable distance to those in wheelchairs and in need of other aids to get around, particularly in the type of weather we are currently having where once again the most vulnerable are the elderly and sick. It's a worthy argument to make.

Hospitals with a longer walk from Yonge and Queen to St. Michael's
1. Etobicoke General - a 175 metre walk across a parking lot from Humber College Blvd.
2. Trillium Health - Sherway - a 170-200 metre walk from the 80/123 bus stop on The West Mall.
3. Humber River Regional Hospital - York Finch Site - 200-230 metre walk from Finch and Norfinch - route 36
4. Humber River Regional Hospital - Church St (Weston) Site -public entrance is 180 metres from the 59 bus on Church St, or 425 metres from the frequent 5. 35 Jane bus.

Toronto Rehab, Mount Sinai, Sick Kids are several hundred metres from the nearest TTC stop, with the exception of the 5C Avenue Road, which only runs midday (9:15 to 3:15) and only from the north. (Not counting the useless 142 Avenue Road double fare express.) Only Scarborough Centenary and Sunnybrook have regular service at their front doors, and only St. Joseph's and Toronto East General have transit from the street as close as St. Mike's has it now. The hue and cry about St. Mike's patrons having to walk 90 extra metres (really, this is 70 extra metres going westbound with new 23-metre streetcars with all-door boarding) is a red herring. By far, most people taking transit to hospitals are those that work there.

Last edited:
If they are incapable of walking 100 meters, i think weeltrans may be a suitable option for them.

Yep. I was on Wheel-Trans for a bit after a rather major injury. The one and only hospital inaccessible to those in wheelchairs via the conventional system is Toronto Western, it being at the corner of two streetcar routes. Of course it was my hospital. I could get to Bathurst Station no problem on my own, but had to get a Wheel-Trans minibus to get me the rest of the way. St. Mike's has a subway station 100 metres away with an elevator. It - and Toronto General - are the most accessible hospitals in Toronto.

Last edited:
Just got Pam McConnell's e-newsletter of today's date:

TTC to Consider Removing Transit Stops
I was very troubled to learn that at the TTC meeting on Tuesday, January 28, 2014, the Commission will consider a report that will set in motion a process to remove stops on our bus and streetcar routes. This significant move is being undertaken without proper notice or consultation with our communities or the TTC riders who will be affected.
The five page report to the Commission (available HERE) claims that the move is to “improve pedestrian safety” by removing mid-block stops and having them located close to a traffic signal. This will mean that heavily used mid-block stops, such as the one that serves parents and students at Lord Dufferin School, will be eliminated without concern for the passengers or the distances or conditions they will need to walk.
The report also recommends placing stops at minimum distances, stating that the “appropriate distance between stops” offers “less disruptive travel”. One of the examples that is given is the removal of the streetcar stop at Victoria Street, near St. Michael’s Hospital. Anyone who is familiar with that stop at rush hour knows that a significant number of people debark there in the morning. Forcing the passengers to load and unload exclusively at Yonge Street will not improve travel times or rider convenience. Although not in the report, the TTC are proposing to elimnate the Front Street stop for the Sherbourne bus, using this rationale.
These recommendations are a backdoor attempt to reduce service. They do not take into account the way that passengers use the system, transportation needs of the area, or the various uses near the stops in question. Rather than creating a rational terms of reference to examine the service in neighbourhoods, the staff are relying on a cheap and cheerful cookie cutter approach. Although the report promises a follow up report on the implications and a “plan for consulting with affected Councillors” there is no plan for consulting with the affected riders. This approach also sets a piecemeal justification for each stop.
I am committed to ensuring that our transit works for our community, and that all changes receive proper input from residents. I invite you to make a your voice heard at the Commission.
Members of the public may make deputations at the TTC meeting. Requests to appear as a speaker will be accepted in writing until Noon on Monday, January 27. You may send an email to gso@ttc.ca. You may also make a written submission.
The TTC meeting is on Tuesday, January 28, at 1:00 pm in Committee Room 1, City Hall.

I hate to think what whining Pam McConnell would make about the Downtown Relief Line if it gets built.

I hate to think what whining Pam McConnell would make about the Downtown Relief Line if it gets built.

If they took the subway, they would have to negotiate down or up stairs, because the escalators and elevators would be out-of-service. Why don't they duplicate the number of escalators and elevators at stations near hospitals, to cover out-of-service situations? At least with the new low-floor streetcars, it would be easier access.

Last edited:
If St. Clair and Spadina/Queens Quay follow through with these guidelines, with their right of way and the new streetcars with all door boarding, what will make these streetcar lines different from the light rail lines in the suburbs? Maybe Rob Ford was right...

Seriously though, if all works out well, it means that our current streetcar right of ways can be used to their fullest extent. Providing some relief to the University line, and even improved cross-downtown travel to a degree.

If St. Clair and Spadina/Queens Quay follow through with these guidelines, with their right of way and the new streetcars with all door boarding, what will make these streetcar lines different from the light rail lines in the suburbs? Maybe Rob Ford was right...

Seriously though, if all works out well, it means that our current streetcar right of ways can be used to their fullest extent. Providing some relief to the University line, and even improved cross-downtown travel to a degree.

I think St Clair or Spadina still won't be as fast as Eglinton East surface section because:

1. These guidelines recommend 300-400m spacing, Eglinton surface is 500-600m average.
2. Assuming no traffic sync, I would think you would see red lights at intersections less on Eglinton east Brentcliff than you would driving down Spadina. There aren't as many streets intersecting Eglinton in this suburban area so there would be less traffic lights. If a minor road intersects Eglinton, I would assume Eglinton gets green most of the time. I think if you drove down all three roads at 4am when there isn't any traffic, you'd still find Eglinton east to be faster.

Another difference is that the LRTs will have 2 or 3 car trains

Last edited:
I got an email from Pam McConnell as well explaining that she will be fighting this. I've responded that I'm disappointed by her position.

Tell her to have the Queen subway station shifted over to Victoria Street so that the hospital could dig a direct underground entry into it, so that the patients wouldn't have to use out-of-service escalators or elevators. They might even be able to roll the hospital beds to and from the subway platforms.

Hospitals with a longer walk from Yonge and Queen to St. Michael's
1. Etobicoke General - a 175 metre walk across a parking lot from Humber College Blvd.
2. Trillium Health - Sherway - a 170-200 metre walk from the 80/123 bus stop on The West Mall.
3. Humber River Regional Hospital - York Finch Site - 200-230 metre walk from Finch and Norfinch - route 36
4. Humber River Regional Hospital - Church St (Weston) Site -public entrance is 180 metres from the 59 bus on Church St, or 425 metres from the frequent 5. 35 Jane bus.

Toronto Rehab, Mount Sinai, Sick Kids are several hundred metres from the nearest TTC stop, with the exception of the 5C Avenue Road, which only runs midday (9:15 to 3:15) and only from the north. (Not counting the useless 142 Avenue Road double fare express.) Only Scarborough Centenary and Sunnybrook have regular service at their front doors, and only St. Joseph's and Toronto East General have transit from the street as close as St. Mike's has it now. The hue and cry about St. Mike's patrons having to walk 90 extra metres (really, this is 70 extra metres going westbound with new 23-metre streetcars with all-door boarding) is a red herring. By far, most people taking transit to hospitals are those that work there.
You forgot Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, which is a rather long walk to the nearest bus stop (11 Bayview to the west or the many buses along Eglinton at Rumsey to the south).

Well, if Leslie and Ferrand on the EC is any indication, a handful of locals who can't see 4 blocks past their house will hijack the planning of multibillion dollar transit projects and spineless Metrolinx will bend to their whims. Expect to see a "Church-Victoria" station in the DRL plans. That'll be four hundred million dollars, please.

Well, if Leslie and Ferrand on the EC is any indication, a handful of locals who can't see 4 blocks past their house will hijack the planning of multibillion dollar transit projects and spineless Metrolinx will bend to their whims. Expect to see a "Church-Victoria" station in the DRL plans. That'll be four hundred million dollars, please.

Actually, they'll demand separate "University", "York", "Bay", "Yonge", "Victoria", "Church", "Jarvis", Sherbourne", etc. stations on the DRL.

I got an email from Pam McConnell as well explaining that she will be fighting this. I've responded that I'm disappointed by her position.

Tell her to have the Queen subway station shifted over to Victoria Street so that the hospital could dig a direct underground entry into it, so that the patients wouldn't have to use out-of-service escalators or elevators. They might even be able to roll the hospital beds to and from the subway platforms.

Yes! Pam McConnell is being a predictable over-reactive councillor.

Steve Munro also seems to be for keeping the Victoria St stops as well.

This scheme eliminates stops both ways at Victoria on the grounds that these are in a short distance of Church and Yonge Streets. The TTC seems unconcerned or unaware that these stops also serve St. Michael’s Hospital.

Last edited:

Back