News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 885     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Second derailment at Church and King. I witnessed another one in May 2023.
The TTC have plans to FINALLY rebuild this intersection but not until 2025 I think. It has been scheduled and postponed several times so this is probably yet another example of the foolishness of constantly postponing maintenance. (I think latest postponement was cause Queen was closed (by Mlx)...

Last edited:
The TTC have plans to FINALLY rebuild this intersection but not until 2025 I think. It has been scheduled and postponed several times so this is probably yet another example of the foolishness of constantly postponing maintenance. (I think latest postponement was cause Queen was closed (by Mlx)...
EDIT:

Project Track Replacement (Special Track)
Near: CHURCH ST FORMER TORONTO
Details
Replacement of the streetcar tracks/rails and the underlying support materials. Work may include resurfacing or reconstruction of the adjacent road/traffic lanes.
Construction Timeline
Q3 2025 - Q4 2025
Status Active
Last Updated Jan 15, 2024.

The TTC have plans to FINALLY rebuild this intersection but not until 2025 I think. It has been scheduled and postponed several times so this is probably yet another example of the foolishness of constantly postponing maintenance. (I think latest postponement was cause Queen was closed (by M
Time for TTC to install the correct switches regardless the cost to get rid of the stop and go as well one car crossing the intersection. This will speed up quality of service and run like other system around the world..

One derailment is one thing, but far too many for TTC in the past with the old fleet as well the new fleet

This has been discussed on this forum at least 4 or 5 times in the last two years: installing new switches will not help anyone, because the problem is in the outdated NAS switch operating system. But though NAS should have been turfed off ages ago, I would not place bets on its replacement doing anything to eliminate those safety rules. North Americans are completely neurotic about safety; once a safety rule is put in place, it is very, very hard to get rid of, and there is no end of unlikely but theoretically possible catastrophic events that the TTC could use as a justification for keeping the rules going. Stop/check/go, for example, was instituted due to accidents caused by operator speeding about 20 years ago, and those accidents would not have been prevented by having a differing switch operation system, as they happened due to operators approaching switches set in the incorrect direction faster than any system would have been able to reset them.

The only way you'd achieve any improvements on the streetcar network is if someone very high up stopped being afraid of their own shadow. And new hardware certainly will not do anything to stop trams from slowing down when passing through intersections.

Further reading:

Last edited:
Streetcar service was a bit mangled again tonight. This time one broke down in the Dufferin loop causing a massive back up.

DJI_20240620205642_0361_D.jpg
DJI_20240620210049_0372_D.jpg

Back