News   May 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC Station Architecture

Not a bad idea WP. Shawn, Matt, are you reading? What do you think?

Heh.

I think it's just a case of overzealouse folks in positions of perceived authority, exercising authority they don't have. It's like going through (US) customs -- underpaid, perhaps not very well educated folks have a huge amount of discretionary power....so it's best to just play along with whatever weirdo questions they're asking, and eventually, you'll get through.

You don't need spacing to print up tshirts though -- just mock it up in illustrator and send it to a printer.

If you read the TTC bylaws, it says you are allowed to take photos for non commercial use.

Just take photos. I never ask, I just snap in anyplace. In Eaton Centre you are not allowed to take photos either, except of the birds and the famous view looking down the galleria. But I never asked, and Wylie and I had the best photos of Eaton Centre for our urban planning project. All while the other people in our class went and asked Eaton Centre, and where hit with restrictions on where they could take photos :)

mike - I imagine I will end up back on the lines shortly taking more pics, but if you read all the notes about the run-ins with "authority", (there's a long description at the top of this page of the earlier ones) you'll see that each one seems to get longer and more complicated, and it is giving me some doubts, wondering if they'll haul my ass off somewhere next time (if they catch me again).

My problem is that I'll spend up to 15 miuntes at each station looking for angles, and while I try to avoid the closed circuit cameras, and I try to avoid alarming passengers, sometimes I raise suspicions apparently...

Craig

I just hope the stations on the new York line have a good design. It's time for the TTC to take architecture seriously .

I just hope the stations on the new York line have a good design. It's time for the TTC to take architecture seriously.
I think we all hope for something good, but suggesting that the TTC has never taken architecture seriously is far too blanket of a statement for me.

The TTC took architecture seriously with the first subway stations - modernist John B. Parkin's firm was hired to give a clean, streamlined look to the first twelves stations on the Yonge line. Not that they were spectacular, but it's too bad their's nearly nothing left from them - the Vitrolite just did not last - and they have all been renovated during times when architectural vision has definitely glone lacking at Davisville.

They got serious again when the Spadina line was built, and the Sheppard line, although both lines have stations that I consider missteps as well.

I hope for good architectural things from this potential York extension too, but right now I would just like to see a unified apporach to font use in the system. I'd like to see the TTC font used for all block capital signage. Drop Helvetica and drop Univers wherever and whenever possible: sure, they are highly readable, but they dull, and so ubiquitous in daily life that they need no more promotion, and they certainly dilute the TTC's visual identity.

So there.

Anyway, since I last reported, I have put up Woodbine, Main Street, and Victoria Park stations. You can see them at www.flickr.com/photos/cas...s/1169190/

Warden will be up soon...

I hope for good architectural things from this potential York extension too, but right now I would just like to see a unified apporach to font use in the system. I'd like to see the TTC font used for all block capital signage.

Three cheers to that! Oh Queen Station... why?

Yeah queen station is terrible. What were they thinking. Another one which really gets on my nerves is the letterspacing for college station.

I'm a designer so that kind of stuff really gets to me.

Interchange: Quite an achievement! Thanks for some good pictures.

We're actually doing an official shoot in the subway tomorrow. Its for a band we're putting on the cover of my magazine next month.

Charge is $250 plus GST for a crew no larger than 5 people. Time is unlimited so long as we aren't shooting during rush hour.

Larger crews are charged at $150 plus GST per hour.

They suggested we use Bessarion because it isn't very busy.

Back