News   Apr 25, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 908     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 936     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

It's not nice because of the residents though. They don't want any up zoning, which would have to be done if this is a go.
Pretty sure it's going to be highrises along Sheppard East, it already started and you can see the projects coming up

Re Yonge, that subway is for York Region. I'm sure the city would be fine with stopping at Steeles.
I meant expanding the sidewalks and bike lanes project

The same North York with 16 Subway Stations? The same North York that gained the ONLY 2 subway extensions in Metro Toronto in the last 30 years and is now getting another subway extension, 2 LRTs lines, 2 stops on the OL, and new GO stations on the Bolton Line?
See above - I wasn't talking subway in regards to Yonge St. North.

I'm glad to hear this. To spend gobs of money to reduce existing transit capacity in a rapidly growing city is illogical to me.
It would make sense only if the money spent converting Sheppard to light metro enabled extensions to be built more cost effectively (ie elevated). But no. We'll get more tunnels under single family homes, so time in a few decades.

ICYMI: Sheppard Avenue from east of Yonge to Leslie is being reconstructed this year and next year with new cycle tracks, wider sidewalks, protected intersections, green infrastructure and minor lane reductions so this should definitely help it become more of a complete street.

Project website

View attachment 376759
Such a wide ROW and we still can't do the bus stops correctly. Why must people alight from the bus directly into the cycle path? Are they trying to cause cyclist-pedestrian collisions?

Don't worry, Dougie will override them :cool:

Oh please you know Doug would want it tunneled as deep as possible, and you'd be promoting that decision if it happened. But alas the Prov used all its transit funding so this project isn't going anywhere for a very long time.

Oh please you know Doug would want it tunneled as deep as possible, and you'd be promoting that decision if it happened.
Since when did I ever promote the province deep boring lines? I have consistently criticized the Eglinton West extension for not being elevated, and the only "excuse" I have ever given it is "at least its not at grade".

Now I also used to criticize it not being cut and cover, however I have recently learned that apparently a gas mainline runs under that section of Eglinton which would make shallow tunnels extremely difficult and dangerous to do (relocating a gas main line is no small feat) so I can at the very least excuse that decision.

The only reason why I somewhat support what they're doing at Royal Orchard is because the end result is a line that is at grade along a rail corridor, and while I wish Royal Orchard station was much shallower, that's still a good trade off to get the most important station on the extension at grade close to the surface.

SSE is an absolute travesty that I have no excuse for other than "that's what's already been studied".
But alas the Prov used all its transit funding so this project isn't going anywhere for a very long time.
Source?

They have constantly said that they're working on Sheppard East, and I have no doubt in my mind that they're going to present that project, alongside an Ontario Line North extension in this election. There is no reason to believe that after these 4 priority projects are done that they just have no plans for any future lines or extensions.

Since when did I ever promote the province deep boring lines? I have consistently criticized the Eglinton West extension for not being elevated, and the only "excuse" I have ever given it is "at least its not at grade".

Now I also used to criticize it not being cut and cover, however I have recently learned that apparently a gas mainline runs under that section of Eglinton which would make shallow tunnels extremely difficult and dangerous to do (relocating a gas main line is no small feat) so I can at the very least excuse that decision.

The only reason why I somewhat support what they're doing at Royal Orchard is because the end result is a line that is at grade along a rail corridor, and while I wish Royal Orchard station was much shallower, that's still a good trade off to get the most important station on the extension at grade close to the surface.

SSE is an absolute travesty that I have no excuse for other than "that's what's already been studied".

Source?

They have constantly said that they're working on Sheppard East, and I have no doubt in my mind that they're going to present that project, alongside an Ontario Line North extension in this election. There is no reason to believe that after these 4 priority projects are done that they just have no plans for any future lines or extensions.

oh I don't doubt that they'll be presenting a Sheppard Subway this election

oh I don't doubt that they'll be presenting a Sheppard Subway this election

I wouldn't be so sure. Sheppard is an additional commitment, it would affect the provincial balance sheet. On the other hand, they don't need Sheppard to brag about their transit credentials. They can re-announce the 4 projects that they already announced, and ride on those.

If the PC's win this time, and then closer to 2026 they need a new transit story .. then maybe.

You mean an extension east?

That makes no sense as LRT, and was arguably the stupidest project in Transit City other than maybe Don Mills. It shouldn't be done.
You know, before the Subway was built...there was 85 Sheppard East, 10 Vanhorne, 139 Huntingwood going along Sheppard from Don Mills to Yonge Street. You cant imagine the amount of traffic, which is now gone because of the subway. The noise and pollution was significant vs today not to mention that the road would take a beating.

The subway is a blessing and if they still ran buses today, the situation would be even worse. It's only a 4 car subway but each subway car can hold 243 People, you can probably cram 70 people in an Orion V which is 3.4 buses per subway car. So a 4 car train requires 14 Busses to have the same capacity.

Imagine 14 busses every 4 minutes travelling along Sheppard Ave? 210 Buses per hour? I rather a 4 car subway t.

You mean an extension east?

That makes no sense as LRT, and was arguably the stupidest project in Transit City other than maybe Don Mills. It shouldn't be done.
Honestly, if the lrt was built, it would make the Sheppard stubway so irrelevant and pointless.

And people thought it was a good idea.

I wouldn't be so sure. Sheppard is an additional commitment, it would affect the provincial balance sheet. On the other hand, they don't need Sheppard to brag about their transit credentials. They can re-announce the 4 projects that they already announced, and ride on those.

If the PC's win this time, and then closer to 2026 they need a new transit story .. then maybe.

Yes I don't think there's funding for any kind of commitment. But having it presented on a map with a tag line of 'we're pursuing private partners to help extend Sheppard and put more money in your pocket'. Or some empty party rhetoric to that effect. Average person just sees a map with something they like.

Back