News   Apr 25, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

And they love to drag their feet anyway. Flashy announcement today, then defer the payment by 5 or 10 years and let your successor deal with it. And the successor might not even belong to the same party.
To be fair the liberals did the same thing with transit city. But it would have at least been cheaper to restart construction years later. Perhaps this will be built. We will see.

I want to hear who is pro Transit city replacement vs pro subway?

After 13 years since Transit City was announced, the Sheppard LRT is cancelled with no replacement in sight, 7+ years of busitution on the SRT with the hopes of the SSE being completed in 2030 and still no rapid transit to Centennial College.

Does coffey1 onecity ever post here anymore. I gave up on the circular debates but came in to hear how wrong most of us were and that Ford is the best and Scarborough is finally not being disrespected by the elite downtown bike riders.

The downtown elites responsible for this fiasco should be forced to bicycle Scarborough residents to and from Kennedy station!

Given the insane amount of money being dumped into this project, why doesn't the province just overhaul the RT before the SSE goes under construction? What's a few extra hundred million at this point?

After 13 years since Transit City was announced, the Sheppard LRT is cancelled with no replacement in sight, 7+ years of busitution on the SRT with the hopes of the SSE being completed in 2030 and still no rapid transit to Centennial College.

I'm not sure anyone was 'Pro Transity City'. I think people were pro getting good transit built where appropriate and necessary.

I'd love to see subways everywhere, but that's not a realistic objective.

Everything under construction or constructed are all Miller era projects from Transit City. Scarborough would have their own 'Ontario Line' up and running right now if the Ford's hadn't interfered.

Multiple options are floated for Sheppard; I don't have a strong opinion in favor of either option.

Regarding the STC-to-Kennedy corridor, where the options are SSE subway versus an LRT versus retaining the skytrain technology: I still prefer to go with the subway. That will result in a better network overall, and will be running for many decades, while the hardship of bus substitution will be forgotten.

In the near term, I would:
1. Accept that buses will substitute rail transit for numerous years, likely 8-10 years (7 is optimistic IMO).
2. Reorganize the major streets leading to the Kennedy and Warden stations, allocate bus-only lanes where possible. That's doable before the 2023 SRT shutdown.
3. Likewise, allocate bus-only lanes on Sheppard leading to the Don Mills subway terminus. Some of the load can be shifted there.
4. Try to purchase more buses, preferably artics. They can serve as shuttles, and then shift to other routes once the subway opens.
5. Consider running a TTC rail shuttle between the Rouge Hill GO Stn and Union, during the peak hours on weekdays starting in 2023 once SRT shuts down. The shuttle should be included in the TTC fare zone, so that taking a bus to rail + shuttle + a short subway trip within downtown is covered by a single TTC fare.
An Agincourt shuttle would be even better, but the rail line between Kennedy and Scarborough Junction is still single track, and the Junction itself is not grade-separated, hence Rouge Hill is more doable.

To my recollection at no point did the "subway haters" delay or slow down the SSE. This fact seems to be forgotten by everyone. The delays to the SSE have always been because the cost was just so much higher than everyone was willing to pay. So we had a ton of back and forth between 1 and 3 stop options.

To my recollection at no point did the "subway haters" delay or slow down the SSE. This fact seems to be forgotten by everyone.

That's true, and well know. The anti-subbers lost every vote, therefore they could not contribute to the delays.

The delays are caused by the government mismanagement, and unfortunately most of the blame falls on John Tory. I like John Tory overall, but SmartTrack and SSE are two his biggest failures.

I just want a subway to square one. Sometimes I need to visit my in laws. They deserve respect to.

Just follow the go train route south of Dundas and turn on confederation.

I'm not sure anyone was 'Pro Transity City'. I think people were pro getting good transit built where appropriate and necessary.

I'd love to see subways everywhere, but that's not a realistic objective.

Everything under construction or constructed are all Miller era projects from Transit City. Scarborough would have their own 'Ontario Line' up and running right now if the Ford's hadn't interfered.
Yes, and the pro subway folks, including myself, don't think that the Scarborough LRT is appropriate. Let's recap the issues people have with the RT shall we?
1) Linear Transfer to Line 2 (this is the big one)
2) The alignment is terrible, only serves industrial wastelands.
3) Most of it runs along the Kennedy corridor which is frankly quite redundant.

I think the greatest proposal to every come for the Scarborough RT was Rob Ford's compromise where the Eglinton LIne would be an extension of the Scarborough RT, which is honestly perfect. We get Rapid Transit on Eglinton that isn't butchered by being in the middle of the roadway, and we get access to Scarborough Center through a dedicated corridor without necessarily forcing a linear transfer, and while the corridor is redundant and poor, its more of a minor issue at that point. Unfortunately they told Ford to f off so instead we get a crappier version of the Eglinton Line, and we would've gotten a Scarborough LRT which frankly looks like a splinter on the transit map. Even though I am devastated that they are rushing the shutdown of the SRT, I still believe that long term, the subway is the better solution compared the Scarborough LRT, and I'm glad tunneling will begin this year.

I'm just anti-waste - jumping between four different plans for partisan reasons is a waste of time, a five-kilometer tunnel straight to Scarborough from Kennedy is a waste of money, deep bore tunnelling to appease the almighty SFH is a waste of money and an insult to urbanism, and this entire thread is a waste of energy. Maybe there was a better option, but nobody deserves it.

Back