2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 569     0 

TTC Pauses

Venti de Milo

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone find it very annoying when the bus/streetcar/train pauses at certain stops?

St Claire West bus, at the final stop, at Keele, I don't understand in the morning that after they get there, they DON'T go back for awhile. There are so many buses there, yet, they are lining up 2, 3, 4, 5 buses at the final stop. Meanwhile, the poor us, freezing waiting for the bus to come at get moving.

Same as the train. People are trying to get to work and try not to be late, yet, I notice the train always pauses at Keele, Ossington, Christie, St. George, Union, Yonge...

It's very annoying. I thought the service is to get the people from one place to another as fast as possible. But it seems like it's really up to the driver, WHENEVER they feel like to go or pause. They don't seem to care. I really miss the train in Europe, they are very efficient.

So many times, because of their 1-2 minutes pause, I miss my connection and that could cause me 5-10 delay.

If you are talking about what I think you are, those stops are service adjustments as the vehicle is likely a few minutes ahead of schedule. They generally plan those adjustments at the busiest of stations for obvious reasons.

While I'm sure "getting people from one place to another as fast as possible" is a huge consideration, there's also the fact that the operator may have a red signal in front of him/her (due to another train not that much further ahead).

definitely. eglinton, bloor, and union are the stops where i experience the "pause" on the yonge line.

for eglinton, do crews switch or something when going southbound?

Eglinton and Coxwell are where two of the main crew-change points are.

Subway pauses are built into the schedule - at stations such as Glencarin, Eglinton, Chester, Union, St. George, where the signals are supposed to be timed to maintain headways. You notice this most in the off-peak.

This is something that automatic train control should fix. Once computers are running the trains, they won't tend to get a bit ahead of themselves, and if they do need to pause them, they can slow them slightly on the next leg, rather than having to do a stop at a signal. No real difference, but the passengers will feel better about the whole thing.

(though it will allow them to run trains closer together, and faster, which will be a difference - and should make the ride a lot less bumpy when certain drivers are driving).

No real difference, but the passengers will feel better about the whole thing.

I remember hearing somewhere that people are willing to drive a long way out of their way in order to avoid having stopped. I believe its true. People will feel better as long as they are moving, no matter how slowly that may be.

I notices the last months, BD westbound trains are doing this now and it not always the same station. Even late night this happen as well peak. It happens from time to time for eastbound, but not as bad as west.

I understand Eglinton, But not Bloor when factoring in the two lines. Union has become a longer wait these days.

Crew changes on the west end was Royal York. It now a floating change.

1. If those drivers are going on schedule, it shouldn't have problem. But it's a everyday thing.

2. Pauses at Ossington? To me, it's almost like up to the drivers. Sometimes they pause at Union, sometimes they don't. Heck, some guys (the one open/close the door) were even reading newspaper.

3. End stops are the worst, naming Kenedy, Finch, Kipling... They sometimes wait for 10-15 minutes.

4. Europe doesn't seem to have this "pause" problem.

5. No excuses for the buses lining up at the final stops and not moving at all. And then when one bus goes, the other bus follows. Once you miss a bus, you miss 2 buses as they usually come and go together (I'm talking about Weston/Keele to the station).

The pause at Dundas West was close to 90 minutes last night just after 6pm because track level injury. I just pass that station going East a couple minutes early.

I'm surprise it took so long as it usually gets cleanup within 45 minutes or less. Got to hand it to TTC for saying track level injury so riders understand what the problem is compare to the past.

I have seen train pause at stations with green signals on the west end.

track level injuries usually take longer than track level deaths. In a death, they just have to wheel out the body, clean it up, and done. Injuries require more medical attention (because the guy is still alive), so they will logically take longer.

Gory, but the truth.

Heading west Sunday at 2pm, we pause for 88 seconds at Jane Station as I was timing the stops.

90% of door closing 100% was done 8 seconds upon full stop. Rest were less than 12 seconds up to St George from Islington.

Going west from Yonge after 6pm, no pause and 8 seconds door closing.

Those stops

I take 3 subways and 1 bus from Bloor and Keele to Sheppard and Vic Park every weekday and there are a lot of stops and delays by the TTC. On the Bloor line, there are stops at Keele and Ossington definitely and St George.

There are always delays before entering Davisville station on the Yonge line.

There are delays due to signalling, switching, maintenance, shift change(late evening) and ill passenger and track level injuries. According to Howard Moscoe 2 passengers commit suicide each month(though one should take what he says with a grain of salt). During last Tuesday's(?) track level incident between York Mills and Lawrence, a fellow passenger who claimed to work in a hospital told me that most of the track level injuries end up in hospitals with missing limbs.

Early this morning there were 2 announcements of delays at 2 stations(Summerhill and Rosedale?). Last week we had York Mills and Victoria Park on the same day and then St Andrews the following day.

Delays seem to occur in winter and are most annoying when the trains stop between stations(you are trapped). There have been large crowds on the Bloor westbound platform in the evenings, presumably due to delays.

I believe there is some discussion of getting new signalling equipment.

Incidently, there is one Blue Night bus driver who absolutely insists on parking his bus for 5 or 6 minutes in front of a very quiet condo complex on East Mall.

Back