News   Jul 15, 2024
 458     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 615     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 575     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There were a lot of "personal injury at track level" subway delays in the last few days.

As the subway system gets even busier in the next few years and these incidents get more frequent, I would think there will be increased pressure to install platform doors, at least starting with the busiest stations. I'm assuming it can be done one station at a time, it doesn't have to be every station at once. Of course, this is after ATC is installed in 2019 (or whichever year).

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...revent_deaths_toronto_public_health_says.html
Not just platform screen doors, but platform screen doors with platform extenders where appropriate. Not all subway stations in Toronto have completely straight edges.

Most of the gates/turnstiles at Bathurst have been removed and the floor re-tiled. Anyone know what that's about?

They have their use. Sometimes there are crazy people or incidents happening.
The confusing array of various emergency buttons, call buttons, and emergency door open buttons, wheelchair door open buttons, all near the door, but no actual stop button ... I'd guess most of the wrong button/alarm usage will be tourists, not crazy people.

Besides, if we were to press an emergency button anytime we saw a crazy person on transit, then no one would get anywhere.

Bathurst was to be the next station to receive Presto after Spadina, and the final station to be operational 2014. So presumably whatever necessary to install Presto has been done, and the new tiles are being put in place afterwards.

Bathurst was to be the next station to receive Presto after Spadina, and the final station to be operational 2014. So presumably whatever necessary to install Presto has been done, and the new tiles are being put in place afterwards.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is there's nothing where the turnstiles were before, and the floor is back in place as if the project is finished, although I don't see what's been put in that would allow for Presto - not without breaking up the floor again.

Unless the Presto readers are going in in a different part of the fare payment area ...

The confusing array of various emergency buttons, call buttons, and emergency door open buttons, wheelchair door open buttons, all near the door, but no actual stop button ... I'd guess most of the wrong button/alarm usage will be tourists, not crazy people.

Besides, if we were to press an emergency button anytime we saw a crazy person on transit, then no one would get anywhere.

I meant in situations where a fight breaks out or something. There are appropriate uses for it.

But yes, if it can be made more clear what it's for to avoid inappropriate use, that's great.

Not until those passenger alarms are taped over.

Yes please.

In Montreal the passenger alarms are shaped like fire alarms, and have a plastic covering, sealed by a break-able twist-tie. The passenger alarm says "Use only in case of emergency" above it.

In Toronto, the yellow strips span the entire car without protection and say underneath "Use in case of illness, vandalism, harassment, ..." and lists about 20 other conditions.

Which one of these systems do you think has a higher rate of spurious passenger alarms?

Yeah, but what I'm saying is there's nothing where the turnstiles were before, and the floor is back in place as if the project is finished, although I don't see what's been put in that would allow for Presto - not without breaking up the floor again.
Presumably conduits for wiring ... and perhaps even the wire, which terminate underneath the turnstiles where you can't see them.

But I'm guessing. However given they've announced that Bathurst will be Presto-ready before the end of 2014, and they've already finished the infrastructure work at Spadina and Museum, then presumably what you are seeing is in relation to this announced work.

Which one of these systems do you think has a higher rate of spurious passenger alarms?
The one that designed the yellow strip to look like the yellow stop cord on other vehicles, and then posts signage in English-only.

Yes please.

In Montreal the passenger alarms are shaped like fire alarms, and have a plastic covering, sealed by a break-able twist-tie. The passenger alarm says "Use only in case of emergency" above it.

In Toronto, the yellow strips span the entire car without protection and say underneath "Use in case of illness, vandalism, harassment, ..." and lists about 20 other conditions.

I was recently on a train (rush hour) where a woman threw up and hit the alarm. She then sat on the floor of the train and wouldn't get off when the guard asked her, so we sat there for about 10 minutes until she was feeling better and told the guard she was okay to continue. :mad:

In this type of situations, the TTC should have the ticket collector come down to platform level and physically remove the person from the train while they wait for medical assistance.

I was recently on a train (rush hour) where a woman threw up and hit the alarm. She then sat on the floor of the train and wouldn't get off when the guard asked her, so we sat there for about 10 minutes until she was feeling better and told the guard she was okay to continue. :mad:

In this type of situations, the TTC should have the ticket collector come down to platform level and physically remove the person from the train while they wait for medical assistance.
Not sure why the ticket collector would be able to physically remove the client from the train, if the guard couldn't.

And unless the client was weighing less than 50 pounds, it would violate provincial health and safety legislation to lift the client without specialized equipment and/or training. Though perhaps two could lift one under 100 pounds. Surely better to wait for medical assistance - or in this case until the client was able to move.

Name one station without straight edges (and not just from wear-and-tear).

Union, Eglinton and Wellesley... though I don't think those stations warrant platform extenders at all.
The southbound side of Museum station close to the exit is slightly cut off to allow trains from Lower Bay station to enter Museum station.

Not just that, but a short section of St. Clair station is slightly curved, though enough for a four-year-old girl to fall through the gap.

Back