News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Someone contractor dug a hole so deep that it fell onto the tracks around Dundas West @ 9AM.

I tried doing that a few times at Christie Park when I was a child. I was never successful. :(

How deep are the tunnels at Dundas West? I know the section just east of Dundas West the tunnel was bored so I'm assuming it's relatively deep there.

Last edited:
sp4SiLv.jpg

The above image shows why a new bus garage is needed. The TTC is still short on the number of buses needed for regular service AND for emergency situations like today.

Today is a good reason for having the DRL AND the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

Spending billions for redundancies just incase something goes wrong with one of our lines is silly. Redundancy would be a nice benefit of the Relief Line, but it's certainly not why we need it.

Actually redundancy is one of the many parallel reasons why we needed some kind of an extended downtown subway system - note you are building a system, not a series of one-off lines.

AoD

The above image shows why a new bus garage is needed. The TTC is still short on the number of buses needed for regular service AND for emergency situations like today.

Today is a good reason for having the DRL AND the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

The good news is that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, Sheppard East LRT and Finch West LRT will dramatically reduce the number of busses needed on our streets.

The bad thing is that those busses are very old an will need to be retired immediately. The TTC will most likely opt not to replace most of them rather than keeping lots of unused busses. If the TTC gets enough funding we should hopefully have some spare busses, but I doubt it would ever be enough to accommodate large scale failures, such as the one we're experiencing today on Line 2.

Regarding our Eglinton Line, I doubt it would have been very useful today. It doesn't make much sense for people to travel all the way north to Eglinton and south to Bloor again. But the Relief Line would definitely be helpful.

Last edited:
People are saying that a wall at Lansdowne or Dundas West has collapsed, anyone know more?

Last week, a contractor digging piles cut into the roof of the tunnel about 50 feet east of the platform at Dundas West. Train service was halted for about a half-hour at that point to make sure that there was no structural damage, and there wasn't.

It appears that either rain or groundwater overnight and this morning caused mud to enter the tunnel through the hole, and that's what's caused this issue.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't know but it is just a thought. Can T.T.C. just buy second hand buses? If there are any available.

The good news is that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, Sheppard East LRT and Finch West LRT will dramatically reduce the number of busses needed on our streets.
How does that help? A shutdown like that requires about 200 buses to carry the subway ridership (probably less, because many will walk, and you really can't handle a bus every 10 seconds on Bloor).

If there's 2,000 buses to draw from, surely that makes getting shuttle buses easier than if there's only 1,000.

Last week, a contractor digging piles cut into the roof of the tunnel about 50 feet east of the platform at Dundas West. Train service was halted for about a half-hour at that point to make sure that there was no structural damage, and there wasn't.

It appears that either rain or groundwater overnight and this morning caused mud to enter the tunnel through the hole, and that's what's caused this issue.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

CP24 has the full story about it.

http://www.cp24.com/news/metrolinx-...-closure-service-to-resume-by-3-p-m-1.2031234

Back