News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Yesterday evening, I noticed an artic on the 17 Birchmount for the first time since the late 1990s.

Steve Munros website mentioned service improvements to the 17 Birchmount forthcoming. I presume they are putting artics on the route now?
The ultimate plan is that artics will only be used on the express routes.

As for this specific case, they probably had a change-off earlier in the day and an artic was either the only thing left or what was the quickest bus to cover. It happens. I wouldn't make too big a deal over it.

Dan

Reactions: DSC
The ultimate plan is that artics will only be used on the express routes.

As for this specific case, they probably had a change-off earlier in the day and an artic was either the only thing left or what was the quickest bus to cover. It happens. I wouldn't make too big a deal over it.

Dan
There is one specific weekday run on the 17 that gets a artic semi-regularly that does an afternoon rush block until 9:30 PM.

There is one specific weekday run on the 17 that gets a artic semi-regularly that does an afternoon rush block until 9:30 PM.
The TTC doesn't schedule their bus types "semi-regularly" - either it is or it isn't.

The fact that it only happens occasionally tells me that it's not scheduled for an artic, but an artic is the only thing available at that time.

Dan

What's with the rise of the dangerous nutbars on the subway platforms?

I think it is Covid related cutbacks to the shelter system and City of Toronto staffing issues along with far too many "bleeding hearts" and liability concerns.

Since the start of the pandemic I have noticed an uptick of homeless on the TTC and in Union Station. They sleep on the trains, talk to themselves while begging in the stations and so forth. My understanding is that TTC Special Constables and Staff do not want to engage the homeless.

Just over a year ago, I was on a line 2 train at Kennedy Station where a homeless individual was camping out on the train. He smelled like he crapped his pants several times, had all his belongings and took up several seats. The individual was incredibly offensive smelling and noticeably homeless. There was a 10 foot radius around him where people would be unable to inhabit while you could smell him throughout the car.

In the above instance, the TTC supervisor at Kennedy said there was nothing they could do as he was not doing anything particularly wrong. This despite the person being a health and safety hazard.

Recently, I was sitting on a Line 2 train heading to work beside the cab end of a car. A homeless individual walked through between the cars into mine, stopped and asked me for money. He then blocked me from exiting the seat until I gave him money. I would have been a sitting duck if he became violent.

Those who frequent Yonge Station know how many homeless people inhabit the station on a regular basis (though that number has decreased since the recent incident). It is not uncommon to come down the escalators and find people begging for money on the platform. I recall seeing 4 homeless people down there recently.

I understand, I get it the homeless are just that, homeless. The TTC and Union Station however are not homeless shelters. I, like others pay to ride the TTC and I do not enjoy having a row of seats taken up by a homeless person who likely did not pay to ride the system. I enjoy being able to sit on the train after a long day at work and quite frankly something needs to be done.

You would not believe how many times I have watched homeless people just walk onto a bus or streetcar without paying. I have even seen them push through Presto gates on the subway in front of TTC staff (including fare inspectors) and not be stopped. If that was me not paying or smelling like I crapped myself I would be stopped and asked to leave the system.

Something needs to be done. I feel for them, I really truly do but there needs to be enforcement on the TTC.

What's with the rise of the dangerous nutbars on the subway platforms? People shoved onto the tracks, stabbed, etc. Same as in NYC.

The TTC is basically a psychiatric ward on wheels. It's gotten a lot worse over the past few years. I can see why people are getting cars. On Easter weekend, my cousins were over with their collage age kids, every single kid has a car or is saving up to buy a car so they don't have to take the TTC. As a regular transit user, i completely understand. I witnessed so much craziness over the years, i could write a long book.

I have taken public transit in Olso Norway, it was similar to ridding our Via, majority of people were working professionals, families, middle to upper middle class folks. Everyone was well dressed and respectful. No talking, like what you experienced on the London Tube. Didn't see any sketchy people on the trains, but you do see them around downtown like any big city. Maybe it's the security (surveillance cameras are everywhere) or high cost to ride transit that keeps them away?

When i'm down in the subway station, i never stand anywhere near the platform edge and i never keep my phone visible. I know a few people who got their expensive phones snatched by thieves. And if the subway is busy, I never enter an empty subway car, there is a good reason why it's empty, someone used the car as a public toilet.

Last edited:
I don't know how they do it, but I fell in love with Singapore's total absence of beggars, mentally ill and homeless on their immaculately maintained and presented public transit.
A cursory Google search reveals that both Singapore and Norway have better social care models to help the homeless get into housing.

A cursory Google search reveals that both Singapore and Norway have better social care models to help the homeless get into housing.

They do, but I am sure Singapore for one takes cleaniness far far more seriously than TTC does on a good day. Anyways, as a transit provider, you have a problem when your prime user group is having second thoughts about using the system. The system isn't really isn't there to serve a begging spot for the homeless or the mentally ill. Catering the policies to the latter (the whole "shrugs", we can't do anything approach) is a losing strategy in the long run.

AoD

They do, but I am sure Singapore for one takes cleaniness far far more seriously than TTC does on a good day. Anyways, as a transit provider, you have a problem when your prime user group is having second thoughts about using the system. The system isn't really isn't there to serve a begging spot for the homeless or the mentally ill. Catering the policies to the latter (the whole "shrugs", we can't do anything approach) is a losing strategy in the long run.

AoD

The TTC needs the same teams Toronto Police are deploying, (finally), sending out Social Workers/Mental Health nurses to reach out to people; backed-up by police/security as necessary.

The object ought to be to reach out w/compassion; while at the same time making clear that socially undesirable behavior is a non-starter; and that it will be stopping whether or not help is accepted.

Last edited:
The TTC doesn't schedule their bus types "semi-regularly" - either it is or it isn't.

The fact that it only happens occasionally tells me that it's not scheduled for an artic, but an artic is the only thing available at that time.

Dan

Just saw it again. 17B.

Didn't get the run number. That's 2 days in a row now leading me to think this may be planned.

Back