News   Mar 28, 2024
 949     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

To be fair, the issue is not that you can't get a vehicle which can operate on rails (these are designed for tunnels etc) but that emergency vehicles want to use the space to bypass traffic. Even if using steel wheels was practical to bypass traffic, you'd still need to put them on every fire truck.
And if if you have ever watched the change-over of a rail service vehicle, it's not exactly quick, certainly not in emergency response times.

Toronto made the list.

The Hidden Melodies of Subways Around the World

I have to say, my rides on GO have been much less pleasant ever since they installed the "airliner gong" for their station stop announcements. That particular sound is burned into my brain as a part of air travel, and every time it goes off I am reminded too much of how jangling air travel can be. Pavlov at work.

- Paul

Toronto made the list.

I have to say, my rides on GO have been much less pleasant ever since they installed the "airliner gong" for their station stop announcements. That particular sound is burned into my brain as a part of air travel, and every time it goes off I am reminded too much of how jangling air travel can be. Pavlov at work.

- Paul
Unfortunately it requires an account.

Toronto made the list.

- Paul
And Japan has these melodies before each announcement on their high speed trains.

Queen Street will be closed at Yonge for 4+ years to build Ontario Line. Metrolinx will pay for upgrades to streetcar tracks on Richmond, Adelaide, Victoria and York to allow Adelaide and Richmond to be used for diversions.

Queen Street will be closed at Yonge for 4+ years to build Ontario Line. Metrolinx will pay for upgrades to streetcar tracks on Richmond, Adelaide, Victoria and York to allow Adelaide and Richmond to be used for diversions.
That's only for construction of the Yonge & Queen Station. They'll need to do the same with the University & Queen (Osgoode), Spadina & Queen, and Bathurst & King Stations.

The TTC might as well just bustitute the 501 from Long Branch through to Church up until ~2030. I swear there hasnt been streetcar service on this stretch for half of the past decade if one puts all the construction timelines together.

Now what's going to be interesting is what will the city do (assuming TIFF) comes back. They used Queen as an alternative and without Queen being available, King will pretty much be the only major East-West arterial available between Dundas and Queens Quay.

The TTC might as well just bustitute the 501 from Long Branch through to Church up until ~2030. I swear there hasnt been streetcar service on this stretch for half of the past decade if one puts all the construction timelines together.

Now what's going to be interesting is what will the city do (assuming TIFF) comes back. They used Queen as an alternative and without Queen being available, King will pretty much be the only major East-West arterial available between Dundas and Queens Quay.
If you read the full Metrolinx statement, it appears that Metrolinx will be spending $$$ to improve and restore tracks on Richmond, Adelaide and York.

“As part of this partnership, we’re also going to be funding the construction of diversion tracks that will link up with existing streetcar tracks, ultimately providing the TTC with the ability to offer more reliable service to its customers for years to come.”

“Even after the Ontario Line is completed, if streetcars need to divert from this area for special events, planned construction work, or unplanned detours, this new infrastructure will make that possible,” MacKay added.

Streetcar tracks that connect Queen Street to Richmond Street already exist for westbound route diversions, but Metrolinx will fund the construction of new tracks that will link Queen Street to Adelaide Street via York Street for eastbound diversions, as well as any other upgrades that may be needed on existing tracks in the area."

If you read the full Metrolinx statement, it appears that Metrolinx will be spending $$$ to improve and restore tracks on Richmond, Adelaide and York.

“As part of this partnership, we’re also going to be funding the construction of diversion tracks that will link up with existing streetcar tracks, ultimately providing the TTC with the ability to offer more reliable service to its customers for years to come.”

“Even after the Ontario Line is completed, if streetcars need to divert from this area for special events, planned construction work, or unplanned detours, this new infrastructure will make that possible,” MacKay added.

Streetcar tracks that connect Queen Street to Richmond Street already exist for westbound route diversions, but Metrolinx will fund the construction of new tracks that will link Queen Street to Adelaide Street via York Street for eastbound diversions, as well as any other upgrades that may be needed on existing tracks in the area."
Guess I should always learn to read the full article before I open my mouth. My casual glance clearly isnt good enough.

They removed the southbound tracks on York less than a decade ago due to the fact York was one way north. It means York will become a 2 way with new southbound track..

Adelaide St hasn't seem streetcars in about 15 years when work started on the Trump Tower. It may finally deal with the question of replacing all the tracks on Adelaide like they should to making it a 2 way street again that keep getting pushed down the road.

Having one track on Adelaide St helps TTC for detour service, but a 2 way street would be better. If tracks could go to Bathurst St on both roads even one way, it would help TTC in the long run for detours and special events.

Time for TTC to order the special rail and switch material so work can take place in 2022. Any work plan for 2022/23 will have to be push down the road or extra crews will be needed to do both things.

They removed the southbound tracks on York less than a decade ago due to the fact York was one way north. It means York will become a 2 way with new southbound track..

Adelaide St hasn't seem streetcars in about 15 years when work started on the Trump Tower. It may finally deal with the question of replacing all the tracks on Adelaide like they should to making it a 2 way street again that keep getting pushed down the road.

Having one track on Adelaide St helps TTC for detour service, but a 2 way street would be better. If tracks could go to Bathurst St on both roads even one way, it would help TTC in the long run for detours and special events.

Time for TTC to order the special rail and switch material so work can take place in 2022. Any work plan for 2022/23 will have to be push down the road or extra crews will be needed to do both things.
I would say it has been far longer than 15 years since Adelaide west of Victoria saw a streetcar. In my opinion it is a good idea to make York 2-way (at least from Queen to Adelaide) - I hope they go right to King and sort out the special trackwork at King & York to allow for more flexibility.

I have never heard of any actual plans to make Adelaide two-way again and think it is VERY unlikely to happen. In 2022 they have been planning to redo the street and install a new watermain and also move bike-track to northside. The city plans already include new TTC track on Adelaide from Charlotte to Victoria but I think few believed it would happen.

ttc adel.jpg

I agree with you that if all this extra work is to happen in 2022 someone needs to get on with it and I hope it does not impact the rebuilding of King - planned for 2023.

Last edited:
Adelaide is probably the worst road in the city for paving quality right now so it's reconstruction is badly needed - it'll be a big job though.

Back