News   Apr 25, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Adelaide is probably the worst road in the city for paving quality right now so it's reconstruction is badly needed - it'll be a big job though.
It's a mess because the City has kept on postponing the watermain replacement (and the TTC tracks) until more of the new developments are finished. I guess they can procrastinate no longer!

"in 1958, at the behest of head traffic engineer Robert Burton, the city turned Richmond and Adelaide Streets into one-way miniature urban expressways, although at first, the streetcars remained.​
The two thoroughfares were meant to be the start of a network of free-flowing one-way streets, but remain now as still-functioning relics of the era's cars-are-the-future philosophy.​
Big one-way streets did increase road capacity and made it much easier to synchronize traffic lights. They also limited the potential for collisions, as left turns could be made with no oncoming traffic.​
But multiple lanes of fast-moving traffic in one direction weren't so good for other road users, such as pedestrians trying to get across the road, or cyclists. Neither were they any good, many have argued, for businesses along the street.​
It seems getting in and out of your city as quickly as possible too often meant hollowing out your downtown, turning the streets into mere ways to get somewhere, instead of places to go in their own right, with shops, restaurants and other attractions."​

From link.

Now what's going to be interesting is what will the city do (assuming TIFF) comes back. They used Queen as an alternative and without Queen being available, King will pretty much be the only major East-West arterial available between Dundas and Queens Quay.
I wonder if they could be persuaded to extend them to Spadina so that they can be used for king as well during Tiff or have Tiff fund that part of it with all the money they make from their festival street.

I wonder if they could be persuaded to extend them to Spadina so that they can be used for king as well during Tiff or have Tiff fund that part of it with all the money they make from their festival street.
The City website says they ARE re-doing tracks on Adelaide from Yonge to Spadina, Metrolinx may only pay up to York but that's a good chunk of it. I doubt we will ever see tracks on the part of Richmond west of York as the street is quite narrow (and I do not think it has ever had tracks) but it would be good. The track on Richmond (Victoria to York) was redone about 5 years ago.

Not sure streetcars could take the grade on Richmond from Peter to Spadina either, it's quite steep (albeit very short).

?

Streetcars in Toronto are engineered for the Bathurst Hill up to St Clair

Nothing on Richmond is remotely comparable.

Last edited:
We need to hear from the TTC and the city. ML doesn’t get the final say in how the 501 would run. They could be like screw this, we’ll just use buses or run streetcars on King.

?

Streetcars in Toronto are engineers for the Bathurst Hill up to St Clair

Nothing on Richmond is remotely comparable.
I'm no engineer, but it's the rapid change of grade I'm more concerned about. Bathurst is steep but it's a gradual change to that, Richmond has a very quick transition to and from the grade which may cause issues. Again, I'm not engineer.

The BATHURST streetcar used to go along Adelaide Street. Richmond Street and Wellington Street was also used as a destination streets for many streetcar trippers and regular routes. Even Front Street was used for streetcars.

ttc-map-1928-08-22.jpg

1928 map from link.

The City website says they ARE re-doing tracks on Adelaide from Yonge to Spadina, Metrolinx may only pay up to York but that's a good chunk of it. I doubt we will ever see tracks on the part of Richmond west of York as the street is quite narrow (and I do not think it has ever had tracks) but it would be good. The track on Richmond (Victoria to York) was redone about 5 years ago.
If they are keeping Richmond Street and Adelaide Street as one-way streets, then one set of streetcar tracks on each street would be doable. As long as they pair it with Adelaide Street.

I don't want to hear about how these tracks can help with TIFF closures.

1. TIFF shouldn't get to take over King Street so that its corporate sponsors can occupy the streetcar tracks with billboards and vendor kiosks
2. You'd have to extend tracks on Richmond between York and Spadina where they never existed at any point in Toronto's history to make it worthwhile.

I love pedestrianized streets, but the 504 shouldn't ever be blocked (along with the 501, which also becomes a nightmare) for five days plus a whole bunch of random additional weekday rush hours for a film festival.

If there's one silver lining for 2020 and 2021...

I don't want to hear about how these tracks can help with TIFF closures.

1. TIFF shouldn't get to take over King Street so that its corporate sponsors can occupy the streetcar tracks with billboards and vendor kiosks
2. You'd have to extend tracks on Richmond between York and Spadina where they never existed at any point in Toronto's history to make it worthwhile.

I love pedestrianized streets, but the 504 shouldn't ever be blocked (along with the 501, which also becomes a nightmare) for five days plus a whole bunch of random additional weekday rush hours for a film festival.

If there's one silver lining for 2020 and 2021...
The streetcars could move slowly through the TIFF closures, at a walking pace. Still will be faster than doing all the turns for detours. However, the anti-transit powers-that-be will do all they can to sabotage any transit improvements.

We need to hear from the TTC and the city. ML doesn’t get the final say in how the 501 would run. They could be like screw this, we’ll just use buses or run streetcars on King.
I would think that they had spoken with the TTC about what they felt best before they do something like this. I really don't think that they would be spending money on improving streetcar tracks that aren't normally used in revenue service if they hadn't been in contact with the TTC about options.

I would think that they had spoken with the TTC about what they felt best before they do something like this. I really don't think that they would be spending money on improving streetcar tracks that aren't normally used in revenue service if they hadn't been in contact with the TTC about options.
You have clearly not been paying attention. Metrolinx are VERY well know for assuming they know everything and NOT consulting with stakeholders etc. I bet there were, at least, some mid-level conversations but REAL consultations (with open minds) is not the ML way. Of course, at the end of the day, City Council has authority over the TTC and its routes etc but I doubt they will care to get involved in details and fight with ML. That said, the ML plan sounds fairly sensible IF Queen must be closed at all.

Back