News   Apr 17, 2024
 451     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It makes some sense but I still don't see many people actually using it. I think the statistics on people who actually use apps for wait times are very low compared to what people seem to think. For example I have a few of them but rarely use them.
The problem with the next bus apps is that they are not terribly accurate - vehicles that are predicted 'never arrive' and the TTC runs a fair number of RAD (run as directed) vehicles that do not actually show up in the predictions at all - but do arrive. Frankly, I see no reason why anyone would use a next vehicle app on a route on the famous 10-minute network - IF the TTC actually managed its routes! A crowding app also has limitations if the schedule is not managed (which may be why a vehicle is crowded in the first place), Few people will risk not getting on a crowded bus just because a next bus app says the next vehicle is 'just around the corner", The TTC would be FAR better improving its route management before spending $$ on 'extras".

It makes some sense but I still don't see many people actually using it. I think the statistics on people who actually use apps for wait times are very low compared to what people seem to think. For example I have a few of them but rarely use them.

Previously, I use the apps to see how many buses are coming towards my stop. The upgrade will tell me how crowded they are, so I can make a better decision when they arrive as a bunch. However, I would like to see the associated "run number" of the vehicle in case they leapfrog each other. (That's the number "01" and "03" you see at the lower left in the front window below.)

toronto-canada-17th-sep-2020-a-ttc-bus-driver-wearing-a-face-mask-is-seen-on-a-bus-in-toronto-canada-on-sept-17-2020-starting-on-thursday-face-coverings-or-masks-are-mandatory-in-all-shared-ttc-toronto-transit-commission-spaces-both-indoors-and-outdoors-this-also-applies-to-operators-when-they-are-behind-the-protective-barrier-or-in-the-cab-credit-zou-zhengxinhuaalamy-live-news-2CN2KK5.jpg

From link.

The problem with the next bus apps is that they are not terribly accurate - vehicles that are predicted 'never arrive' and the TTC runs a fair number of RAD (run as directed) vehicles that do not actually show up in the predictions at all - but do arrive. Frankly, I see no reason why anyone would use a next vehicle app on a route on the famous 10-minute network - IF the TTC actually managed its routes! A crowding app also has limitations if the schedule is not managed (which may be why a vehicle is crowded in the first place), Few people will risk not getting on a crowded bus just because a next bus app says the next vehicle is 'just around the corner", The TTC would be FAR better improving its route management before spending $$ on 'extras".
I agree completely

Previously, I use the apps to see how many buses are coming towards my stop. The upgrade will tell me how crowded they are, so I can make a better decision when they arrive as a bunch. However, I would like to see the associated "run number" of the vehicle in case they leapfrog each other. (That's the number "01" and "03" you see at the lower left in the front window below.)

toronto-canada-17th-sep-2020-a-ttc-bus-driver-wearing-a-face-mask-is-seen-on-a-bus-in-toronto-canada-on-sept-17-2020-starting-on-thursday-face-coverings-or-masks-are-mandatory-in-all-shared-ttc-toronto-transit-commission-spaces-both-indoors-and-outdoors-this-also-applies-to-operators-when-they-are-behind-the-protective-barrier-or-in-the-cab-credit-zou-zhengxinhuaalamy-live-news-2CN2KK5.jpg

From link.
Most of the apps show you the bus numbers and if one does get ahead you can see it. Run numbers aren't really that helpful to passengers unless you need to report something to the TTC.

Not sure where to post this but I have a technical question about the subway roll signs/blinds that can be purchased at ttcshop.ca

On the site you can either buy the entire blind with all destinations and in the description it says "These back-lit destination scrolls spent their life in service on the Toronto subway lines".

or you can buy a framed section of a blind and the description says "This section of authentic TTC subway blind has been framed in its original condition, sealing in any dust from its life in service on the Toronto subway lines. These destination signs were in operation from 1996 to 2015." but no mention that they are back-lit.

My question is - were there subway blinds that weren't backlit? I was under the impression they were all back-lit and the fact that the framed ones aren't makes me question it's authenticity (even though it says they are authentic). I've purchased the framed one and through the glass cover the lettering certainly looks like material that can't be back-lit but since it's sealed under glass, I can't investigate further without ruining the backing.

Perhaps @smallspy or someone else knows? Please satisfy my curiosity for clarity in true authenticity.

Thanks for your time!

Lots of very real operational issues with this idea. We know that Presto data is far from accessible (and certainly not instant), and APC data is never 100% accurate either. Maybe value after the fact to do some datamining and figure out which routes/times are prone to fare evasion, and then extra inspectors could be sent there to monitor.
I LOVE this - it'll make it so much easier to determine which vehicle to wait for with a higher chance of scoring a seat!

Avoiding people is a big motivator for me :cool:
You don’t say.

Not sure where to post this but I have a technical question about the subway roll signs/blinds that can be purchased at ttcshop.ca

On the site you can either buy the entire blind with all destinations and in the description it says "These back-lit destination scrolls spent their life in service on the Toronto subway lines".

or you can buy a framed section of a blind and the description says "This section of authentic TTC subway blind has been framed in its original condition, sealing in any dust from its life in service on the Toronto subway lines. These destination signs were in operation from 1996 to 2015." but no mention that they are back-lit.

My question is - were there subway blinds that weren't backlit? I was under the impression they were all back-lit and the fact that the framed ones aren't makes me question it's authenticity (even though it says they are authentic). I've purchased the framed one and through the glass cover the lettering certainly looks like material that can't be back-lit but since it's sealed under glass, I can't investigate further without ruining the backing.

Perhaps @smallspy or someone else knows? Please satisfy my curiosity for clarity in true authenticity.

Thanks for your time!
Signs were painted/printed on a white, semi-see-through material - cotton and linen were used in years past, nowadays it's a plastic such as mylar - and at least in Toronto were always designed to be backlit.

Because they are high-contrast however (black paint on a white backing) they are still reasonably visible if if they're not lit. Those signs that the shop is selling are legitimate, and as I understand it are flat-mounted in a picture frame.

Dan

Signs were painted/printed on a white, semi-see-through material - cotton and linen were used in years past, nowadays it's a plastic such as mylar - and at least in Toronto were always designed to be backlit.

Because they are high-contrast however (black paint on a white backing) they are still reasonably visible if if they're not lit. Those signs that the shop is selling are legitimate, and as I understand it are flat-mounted in a picture frame.

Dan
Thanks so much for your input, Dan!

So I have a bit of mystery on my hands that I hope someone here can solve.

On the TTC Easier Access thread someone pointed out a second entrance into the Kiss and Ride at Warden Station. I did some digging and found this image from the City of Toronto archives via Transit Toronto:

https://transittoronto.ca/photos/su...oor-danforth-subway-29-warden-19680510-1.html

It shows a sign pointing to an exit from the bus bays onto Warden. Currently there is no such exit and has not been for years.

Was there an additional exit in the Bus Bays?

On the TTC Easier Access thread someone pointed out a second entrance into the Kiss and Ride at Warden Station. I did some digging and found this image from the City of Toronto archives via Transit Toronto:

https://transittoronto.ca/photos/su...oor-danforth-subway-29-warden-19680510-1.html

It shows a sign pointing to an exit from the bus bays onto Warden. Currently there is no such exit and has not been for years.

The current passageway from Warden Ave. to the fare line was only added when the station was modified in 1973 or 1974 to include the buses into the fare-paid zone. At the west end of the bus bays there were stairs that led down and out to Warden Ave. Prior to that date the fare line ran across both of the fare booths in the mezzanine, and everyone needed to pass it to access the subway platforms.

Dan

There was indeed a second entrance to the station from the Kiss and Ride which is the mirror image of the currently open entrance. It was walled off when the fare line was rearranged as Dan noted and remains in place behind the door in this photo. The Easier Access plans show this entrance being reopened with an elevator added to it.

The current passageway from Warden Ave. to the fare line was only added when the station was modified in 1973 or 1974 to include the buses into the fare-paid zone. At the west end of the bus bays there were stairs that led down and out to Warden Ave. Prior to that date the fare line ran across both of the fare booths in the mezzanine, and everyone needed to pass it to access the subway platforms.

Dan

These two photos from the Station Fixation archive gallery from the station opening in 1968 (from the same collection as that photo on Transit Toronto) appear to show the current passageway to Warden Avenue existing on opening day:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...JIC3b7NxoSKRjG6I5nQ=w1043-h1066-no?authuser=0
and
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SXJiakpuUXpQNlFVSEVmN09XQzR4RlBmUWFXUDdB

These two photos from the Station Fixation archive gallery from the station opening in 1968 (from the same collection as that photo on Transit Toronto) appear to show the current passageway to Warden Avenue existing on opening day:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...JIC3b7NxoSKRjG6I5nQ=w1043-h1066-no?authuser=0
and
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SXJiakpuUXpQNlFVSEVmN09XQzR4RlBmUWFXUDdB
Indeed they do, which is interesting as the design drawings that I've seen for the station show that there is an access passageway there - as there is mirrored on the other side - but that it was not designated for public access in the drawings. I wonder if it was a late addition, or if the drawings were an earlier and not final revision.

Now that I think about it, I recall reading an engineers report from the 1990s on the station which also claimed that the surfaces and fixtures in that corridor were newer and thus not in need of immediate replacement, so now I'm doubly-confused.

Dan

Indeed they do, which is interesting as the design drawings that I've seen for the station show that there is an access passageway there - as there is mirrored on the other side - but that it was not designated for public access in the drawings. I wonder if it was a late addition, or if the drawings were an earlier and not final revision.

Now that I think about it, I recall reading an engineers report from the 1990s on the station which also claimed that the surfaces and fixtures in that corridor were newer and thus not in need of immediate replacement, so now I'm doubly-confused.

Dan

What is even more perplexing is the fact that no evidence of a Stairwell via the bus bays to Warden exists at the moment. Even the archival images from the early days of the station show nothing (at least nothing visible from the exterior).

You may be right that the corridor was a last minute addition.

Last edited:
There used to be accessible moving sidewalks at Keele Station, so that riders could move up from the temporary streetcar loop up to the two platforms. The accountants got rid of it after the subway was extended to Islington Station.

20160218-BloorDanforth-KeeleEscalator.jpg

From link.

From link.
1618928515524.png

Back in 1966+, there was only one bus service into Keele Station, the 89 WESTON bus (today, they could have desperately used that streetcar loop for several of the buses currently using the Keele Station as a terminal). If they had kept the streetcar loop, they could have extended the 506 CARLTON streetcar north from the current High Park Loop to Keele Station. However, the accountants had to sell the loop to make money from the sale of the land.

Dan

What is even more perplexing is the fact that no evidence of a Stairwell via the bus bays to Warden exists at the moment. Even the archival images from the early days of the station show nothing (at least nothing visible from the exterior).

You may be right that the corridor was a last minute addition.

Aha. This 1969 photo shows a corridor to the stairs to Warden and the north passage with an EXIT sign above it between bus bays 8 and 9. You can also see it tiled in this under construction photo. Today it's hidden away behind this Operators door.

Back