News   Mar 28, 2024
 164     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I doubt it would cost the TTC anything though. The infrastructure costs would be paid for by the third-party provider in order to data-mine TTC customers.
If the surface vehicle Wi-Fi requires either a Facebook or a Twitter account, it would be a quick way to generate revenue through the sale of personal information to advertisers.

Fortunately, the Wi-Fi is optional and there's always cellular data plans.

If the surface vehicle Wi-Fi requires either a Facebook or a Twitter account, it would be a quick way to generate revenue through the sale of personal information to advertisers.

Fortunately, the Wi-Fi is optional and there's always cellular data plans.

Wifi aboard vehicles is never stable. I tried it on Megabus UK a couple years ago and the signal was so poor that it was easier to just to use my data connection.

Cost of subway Wifi was pretty cheap and much easier to do as the stations are stationary. Wifi on moving vehicles outside is expensive. Again for me, it's a case of priorities. If they can get 100% funding, then maybe it's ok, but I doubt anyone. would front that kind of money. TTC has much more pressing issues to deal with.

Cost of subway Wifi was pretty cheap and much easier to do as the stations are stationary. Wifi on moving vehicles outside is expensive. Again for me, it's a case of priorities. If they can get 100% funding, then maybe it's ok, but I doubt anyone. would front that kind of money. TTC has much more pressing issues to deal with.
From what I remember from a conversation I had with a representative or maybe it was the CEO of BAI back during the doors open event at York university station the year it opened he said that they would have to put entenas on the trains and have a cable run through the tunnel that would send and receive the WiFi signal from the network to the train in the tunnel. The TTC at the time hadn't really decided on if they wanted to do it at the time.

Howabout they actually complete the wifi in the tunnels of the subway system that they said would be done in 2018 first...
There is already WiFi in the tunnels. You just have to be in Freedom to use it as the other networks did not sign up to BAI's infrastructure. It's there but few know it exists are most are not on Freedom's plans.

I doubt it would cost the TTC anything though. The infrastructure costs would be paid for by the third-party provider in order to data-mine TTC customers.

The assumption there is that someone would want to provide the service - at no cost to the TTC - and still try to make money on it.

BAI approached the TTC on their own accord with the offer to install the service in the stations - the TTC didn't have any inkling that it was a possibility until they approached them. And while it hasn't cost the TTC anything up to now (supposedly), BAI played their hand very badly and apparently is hemorrhaging money from it.

So if one company did it and is doing poorly, you don't think that the other telcos are looking at this and saying "why should we bother"?

Dan

There is already WiFi in the tunnels. You just have to be in Freedom to use it as the other networks did not sign up to BAI's infrastructure. It's there but few know it exists are most are not on Freedom's plans.

I can testify here, since I'm on Freedom. As of the last time I used the TTC (early March), I get reception in all of the stations, plus in the tunnels on Line 1 between St. George and Bloor-Yonge and between Sheppard West and Vaughan. Weren't there plans to install the network I'm the rest of the tunnels? If so I don't think there's been any progress in a very long time...

I can testify here, since I'm on Freedom. As of the last time I used the TTC (early March), I get reception in all of the stations, plus in the tunnels on Line 1 between St. George and Bloor-Yonge and between Sheppard West and Vaughan. Weren't there plans to install the network I'm the rest of the tunnels? If so I don't think there's been any progress in a very long time...
Probably not enough of a user base to justify it. If the big there got there heads out of the sand and would agree to use the network it probably would have been done by now.

As a Freedom Mobile customer, I must concur. Even the tunnel between Church Street and Bloor-Yonge station has Freedom cellular data reception.

This is so typically Toronto half-assed.
Install cellular access in only part of the system, available to subscribers of only one carrier, consider it done.
If the TTC ever gets platform screen doors it will either be one side only or half of each side!

This is so typically Toronto half-assed.
Install cellular access in only part of the system, available to subscribers of only one carrier, consider it done.

Actually the big three never signed up to the network. This is why only one carrier uses the network.

Even in London, only Virgin uses the wifi network in the tube but yes.. typically Toronto.

It's not any fault of the city, really. Just the abusive practices of the big telecoms.
But if the city simply caves in to the telecoms then it is the city's fault.
Who's in charge here (besides developers), the city or Rogers/Bell/Telus?

It's the Wireless Cartel of: Bell, Rogers, and Telus who are refusing to use the existing infrastructure that exists in the subway system.

They argue that they need to install their own infrastructure in order to provide wireless service, but understandably the TTC doesnt want to have X amount of cabling throughout the tunnels as is just overly complicates subway maintenance work.

Back