News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 468     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 794     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

1. $458 million, representing approximately 1/3of the10-year cost for 62 trains,to replace the legacy fleet of T1 trains on Line 2 required for delivery in 2026 through 2030, and which will require an additional $122 million to fund the 1/3cost between 2030 and 2034.

2. $165million, representing approximately 1/3of the total estimated cost of $494 million towards procurement of 18 trains to meet growth in ridership demand on Line 1 required for delivery in 2026-2027.

5. $772million, with $686 million representing approximately 1/3of the estimated 10-year cost, towards the procurement of 614 of the 1,575 buses required;$64million for eBus charging system infrastructure;and $22million to fully fund the next 4 years of Wheel-Trans bus procurements or 232of the 498buses required.

6. The remaining $140million,representing approximately 1/3of the total cost for the procurement of 60 new streetcars required to meet projected growth on streetcar routes until 2026.
My guess is that the 1/3 numbers here mean the city is going to push for the remaining 2/3 to be Federal/Provincial funding, given past funding agreements being split that way.

As for point #6, OMG YES. After the last few days I was really worried they weren't going to put any money towards new streetcars.

My guess is that the 1/3 numbers here mean the city is going to push for the remaining 2/3 to be Federal/Provincial funding, given past funding agreements being split that way.

As for point #6, OMG YES. After the last few days I was really worried they weren't going to put any money towards new streetcars.

It's only 60 though. We need way more than that.

Of course, but there is no guarantee either of them will contribute or that they will agree on the top (or even the same) priorities.

Last edited:
2) Strongly consider installing more cross-overs on Line 2, the distance on Line 1 (Yonge side) is fairly close to every second station, Line 2 has large gaps, Woodbine to west of Chester; Chester to St. George, St. George to east of Keele. Adding one intermediate location to each of those gaps would do wonders, cutting down the number of buses required and walking distances.

A nice idea but not a practical one. There are barriers to doing so including structural, power supply, not to mention mechanical. The gaps between crossovers were never designed for crossovers and you cannot remove pillars to build a crossover. Those likely support the tunnel structure above and it would be a very expensive endeavor to install crossovers.

A nice idea but not a practical one. There are barriers to doing so including structural, power supply, not to mention mechanical. The gaps between crossovers were never designed for crossovers and you cannot remove pillars to build a crossover. Those likely support the tunnel structure above and it would be a very expensive endeavor to install crossovers.

The pillars can almost certainly be removed and replaced by a beam and other structural support columns.

Whether that is a reasonable expense really depends on the number.

I'm unfamiliar with any similar project and really couldn't hazard a guess, others here may have a better idea.

Given the benefits, I think an expense up to several (single-digit) millions would be reasonable, much more would be very hard to justify.

The pillars can almost certainly be removed and replaced by a beam and other structural support columns.

Think of it like removing a structural support column in your home. You can do that and redistribute the weight but the costs are insane. Crossovers need to be clear of beams as much as possible,. Also, given the existing space in the tunnels you would need crossovers similar to Woodbine or VP that are not really built these days.

The reason Woodbine and Keele never made for effective termini were because they were side platforms. To avoid confusion you could only use one platform without proper signage to indicate which platform the train is arriving on next. Side Platform terminals are not good for turnbacks.

Andy Byford has resigned from the MTA. Brad Ross, now the City‘s Chief Communications Officer, appears to tease that Andy might be coming back.

Lol, after they begged him to stay too. after his first attempted resignation.

Can't say I'm surprised. The political structure of NYC's transportation network, with the NY State government effectively running the system, while also refusing to accept responsibility for capital improvements, makes it damn near impossible to accomplish any meaningful improvements.

Lol, after they begged him to stay too. after his first attempted resignation.

Can't say I'm surprised. The political structure of NYC's transportation network, with the NY State government effectively running the system, while also refusing to accept responsibility for capital improvements, makes it damn near impossible to accomplish any meaningful improvements.

People think the TTC is bad here. And while the New York system is huge in comparison (but the city is 13 million people so not really fair comparison) the system is a F$*%*ing mess. We complain about things like the shutdown yesterday of Line 2. People in New York dont even complain, its just an accepted part of their lives.

And it won't get better. It will slowly and slightly, but there will never be a large improvement due to the massive size of the system, the complete state of disrepair its in, the cost it would take to fully modernize it, and the unwillingness of American culture and politics to change it. Its a lost cause.

I'm not holding out hope but I'd give my first, second and third born along with sacrificing animals and virgins to the gods in order to get Andy back

Well, forget animals and virgins - a few provincial transportation/infrastructure ministers will do. Hell, I'd even throw in the Premier if it helps.

AoD

Back