News   Apr 24, 2024
 912     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 607     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I haven't been by this month yet, but the notice about streetcars diverting for the Roncesvalles Polish Festival in early September was still on the wall at St. Andrew just prior to New Year's.
Though the concept is good (and is used by Transport for London) this is another example of how the idea of having Station Managers @TTC needs a bit more work!

Just saw an SRT car on a flatbed going down 404 approaching Sheppard this morning. Any idea why it might be?

Though the concept is good (and is used by Transport for London) this is another example of how the idea of having Station Managers @TTC needs a bit more work!

FYI that's a banned account, not the real thing! Anyways, I wonder if these station managers actually do the rounds - or whether it is some fancy title with no real meaning to customer experience.

AoD

Just saw an SRT car on a flatbed going down 404 approaching Sheppard this morning. Any idea why it might be?
Been rebuilt off site and returning to the yard for service

FYI that's a banned account, not the real thing! Anyways, I wonder if these station managers actually do the rounds - or whether it is some fancy title with no real meaning to customer experience.

AoD
The station managers supervise station collectors, CSAs, provide emergency response, and retrieve fallen objects from track level. Doing rounds is a secondary role.

The station managers supervise station collectors, CSAs, provide emergency response, and retrieve fallen objects from track level. Doing rounds is a secondary role.
That may be what happens but it is REALLY not good enough. I don't care who does it but some TTC staff member needs to walk around all the TTC bus and subway stations at least daily. They should check for 'problems' such as leaks, blocked drains, trip hazards, litter, outdated - and missing - notices, malfunctioning gates, etc etc. It's really not rocket science!

Lansdowne station (east side entrance) renovations:

20200111_091809.jpg

If there’s any station in the system with a Third World vibe, it’s this one.

You're a good poster.................but....from time to time, just a wee bit hyperbolic, LOL

Nothing says developing world like automatic sliding doors!

You're a good poster.................but....from time to time, just a wee bit hyperbolic, LOL

Nothing says developing world like automatic sliding doors!

Come on, you have to admit that the station entrances for Lansdowne are just awful, and decades out of date. Seeing the sidewalks overflowing with hordes of people waiting for buses without any weather protection is just embarrassing, especially on the west side, where the bus stop isn't even in front of the station entrance, but across the street on a dreary spot with a dilapidated building as the backdrop. The immediate surroundings are bleak, to say the least. At minimum, the TTC needs to build overhangs like at Dufferin station, but I'd be willing to bet money that they haven't even discussed it.

Come on, you have to admit that the station entrances for Lansdowne are just awful, and decades out of date. Seeing the sidewalks overflowing with hordes of people waiting for buses without any weather protection is just embarrassing, especially on the west side, where the bus stop isn't even in front of the station entrance, but across the street on a dreary spot with a dilapidated building as the backdrop. The immediate surroundings are bleak, to say the least. At minimum, the TTC needs to build overhangs like at Dufferin station, but I'd be willing to bet money that they haven't even discussed it.

Do I think the architectural style of line 2 stations was always a tad banal, sure.

Do I think in addition its now a bit dated looking, and in many cases requires maintenance, yup!

Do I think the absence of an off-street bus terminal is 'third world'.........no. The TTC has more of off-street bus terminals (integrated to subway) than any other transit system anywhere, so far as I'm aware.

Their absence would be normal in NYC, London, Paris etc.

Is that inconvenient? Again, sure.

Do I like the idea of adding a canopy/overhang? Yes

Do I think something will be done about it? Not until certain constituents point out the need to the City Councillor and suggest using section 37 money to cover the cost.

Seeing as there is a good amount of money flowing in section 37 in that area of the City, and seeing as such a project is relatively inexpensive, I would wager the local councillor could be talked into supporting the idea.

Just a thought.

I would say that a local councilor with a shred of leadership and awareness should spearhead such an initiative, not wait for random citizens to complain before taking any action.

Back