News   Apr 19, 2024
 464     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.5K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why would anyone want to celebrate those hunks of junk?

Good riddance. It’s 2019 man, bring on full Flexity service.
They got their ups and downs. A refreshing breeze through the window will be something I'll miss.

I'm sure regular riders will remember some of these:
Being stuck at the door while watching all that space at the rear
Or being stuck at the rear part and trying to get to the door
Trying to hang yourself above the steps so you can stay on while allowing the rear doors to close
Watching people stare at the door and asking why it won't open. Then someone tells them they have to step down.
Hearing the drivers ring the gong when two streetcars approach each other
Watching the driver take forever to change the rollsign cause he can't find the short turn destination
Everyone is sweaty and trying to get off the streetcar in the summer.

They got their ups and downs. A refreshing breeze through the window will be something I'll miss.

Trying to hang yourself above the steps so you can stay on while allowing the rear doors to close
Watching people stare at the door and asking why it won't open. Then someone tells them they have to step down.

In other parts of the world, people are used to pressing the button on the tram (streetcar) door to open them, both inside and outside. Here, we still wait for the operator to open the door for us. Not for much longer, I hope. Why open the doors in the heat of summer or the cold of winter, when no one is getting on or off.

Watching the driver take forever to change the rollsign cause he can't find the short turn destination

One rolled down King Street Friday to go in service on 511 right as I needed to get somewhere. That window breeze was great. Worth skipping the meager air conditioning on the Flexities which is nullified by their giant greenhouse windows. I'd love them back. Real streetcars, not Instagrammable streetcars.

Because they have so much historical significance, especially to fans of surface rail transportation. They are the last iteration of non-articulated streetcars in Canada and the second last ones in North America (the others being the Philadelphia K-Cars built by Kawasaki).

They were pioneers in that they were some of the first streetcars (perhaps even the first North American streetcar) to utilize regenerative braking, which, when you think of it, is huge because it's such a fundamental technology used on all electric rolling stock these days.

They were the first (and some of the only) streetcars built by UTDC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CLRVs might have even been the first vehicles manufactured by UTDC.

They are the last high-floor vehicles ever to be operated by the TTC

They are the last non-air conditioned vehicles to be in operation by the TTC

They are the last vehicles with physical roll signs on the TTC, and I believe everywhere else in North America.

They are the last vehicle that solely used the trolley pole in the TTC network.

They are the last vehicles with passenger level windows that can be opened.

They have been the image defining the City of Toronto for the past 40 years.

From a commuter's perspective, I honestly loved riding on the CLRVs. They'd always feel like they travelled faster throughout the city, fresh air throughout the streetcar was always nice on occasion and with both their seating layout and high floor characteristics, they felt roomier. They definitely were not for everyone, they are certainly past their useful life span, etc, but that doesn't mean some people don't appreciate them.

Because they have so much historical significance, especially to fans of surface rail transportation. They are the last iteration of non-articulated streetcars in Canada and the second last ones in North America (the others being the Philadelphia K-Cars built by Kawasaki).

They were pioneers in that they were some of the first streetcars (perhaps even the first North American streetcar) to utilize regenerative braking, which, when you think of it, is huge because it's such a fundamental technology used on all electric rolling stock these days.

They were the first (and some of the only) streetcars built by UTDC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CLRVs might have even been the first vehicles manufactured by UTDC.

They are the last high-floor vehicles ever to be operated by the TTC

They are the last non-air conditioned vehicles to be in operation by the TTC

They are the last vehicles with physical roll signs on the TTC, and I believe everywhere else in North America.

They are the last vehicle that solely used the trolley pole in the TTC network.

They are the last vehicles with passenger level windows that can be opened.

They have been the image defining the City of Toronto for the past 40 years.

From a commuter's perspective, I honestly loved riding on the CLRVs. They'd always feel like they travelled faster throughout the city, fresh air throughout the streetcar was always nice on occasion and with both their seating layout and high floor characteristics, they felt roomier. They definitely were not for everyone, they are certainly past their useful life span, etc, but that doesn't mean some people don't appreciate them.

The factories that built the CLRV and ALRV had roots with the PCC streetcar. It continues with the Flexity streetcars and light rail vehicles.

To summarize what others have said, they are a significant element in Toronto's culture. You seem to be seeing them just as engineering or infrastructure. What an impoverished understanding.

^I read the Coupler article a little different....the ceremonial use on Queen ends Dec 22, but one can read the 511 item to imply that Dec 31 could be the last run, if new cars aren’t available sooner.
Once the holiday board takes effect, there is likely no further need for CLRV’s, so Dec 22 may be close...but stuff happens.
I’m sure there will be a photo op or two announced eventually.

- Paul

Those are all negative attributes.

Back