News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 592     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 886     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

While I'm in complete agreement that 'world-class' is overused, and that Sunday rapid transit service should start earlier.............if we are being completely fair in our comparison, the Paris Metro closes 1 hour earlier than the TTC Sunday to Thursday. (12:40am); (though opens at 5:30) for a net 2.5 hour service reduction (its open till 1:40am, Fridays and Saturdays). Since the TTC Subways starts 2.5 hours later than the Paris Metro on Sunday; the total open hours for both systems are essentially identical over a 7-day period.

According to the RATP, it's now from 5:30 to 1:15 am, and 2:15 am on Fridays and Saturdays.

On another subject, considering how urgent it is to build the relief line, it seems to me that the no. 6 bus on Bay St. is underused. I am wondering if using more frequent, articulated buses, and perhaps even adjusting the design of the street or implementing a strictly enforced reserved lane would help.

On another subject, considering how urgent it is to build the relief line, it seems to me that the no. 6 bus on Bay St. is underused. I am wondering if using more frequent, articulated buses, and perhaps even adjusting the design of the street or implementing a strictly enforced reserved lane would help.
I would not say the 6 bay bus is underused and, if it is, why would you put on larger buses? Of course the route would work better if there was a reserved bus lane and this was actually discussed in the QQE Transit EA but the consensus was that the street is too narrow for a reserved bus lane and that is also why there has never been serious talk (except on UT, of course) of bringing the streetcar to the surface on Bay Street.

If one was trying to improve links between the subway network and QQ it would make more sense to extend the 65 Parliament Street bus to QQ (it now goes south only to The Esplanade). That way those wanting to get to the subway could take the 6 to Union or the 65 to Castle Frank or the 75 to Sherbourne subway stations.

I would not say the 6 bay bus is underused and, if it is, why would you put on larger buses? Of course the route would work better if there was a reserved bus lane and this was actually discussed in the QQE Transit EA but the consensus was that the street is too narrow for a reserved bus lane and that is also why there has never been serious talk (except on UT, of course) of bringing the streetcar to the surface on Bay Street.

If one was trying to improve links between the subway network and QQ it would make more sense to extend the 65 Parliament Street bus to QQ (it now goes south only to The Esplanade). That way those wanting to get to the subway could take the 6 to Union or the 65 to Castle Frank or the 75 to Sherbourne subway stations.

The TTC should make better use of public relations. They need to give advice to use the 6 BAY bus, the 504 KING, and 505 DUNDAS as alternative routes to the downtown. (Need to replace the buses with streetcars on the 505 completely first.)

I tend to avoid it now because it is not frequent enough or too packed south of Bloor, but I think more people would find it convenient if it were more reliable. It is true however that the street is narrower south of Queen and is generally a mess there during rush hour.

I tend to avoid it now because it is not frequent enough or too packed south of Bloor, but I think more people would find it convenient if it were more reliable. It is true however that the street is narrower south of Queen and is generally a mess there during rush hour.

From The Dupont and Bay Streetcars (Deceased) at this link:

The TTC would later go on record saying that it regretted its decision to remove streetcars from Bay Street. During rush-hours especially, the route proved to be a popular alternative to the subway, and the skyscrapers which developed downtown during the 1960s and the 70s produced a canyon which trapped the fumes from diesel buses. The line proved to be ideal to convert to trolley bus operation in the mid 1970s, using equipment made surplus by the North Yonge subway extension and the conversion of the 97 YONGE trolley bus to diesel operation. The BAY trolley bus was the most frequent and most travelled trolley bus operation until the technology was abandoned in 1993.

Echoes of the BAY streetcar would sound now and again. The TTC seriously considered reconversion back to streetcar operation when it looked at changing the bus to trolley bus operation in the 1970s. In the late 1980s, a study recommended that the HARBOURFRONT line be extended north, partly underground, partly at street level, to the BLOOR-DANFORTH SUBWAY. No serious plans are in the books to restore streetcar service now, however. Tracks remain in place between College and Dundas Streets for short turns and diversions.

"Drum118 The TTC notes on their constructionpages that they are working on King & Shaw with completion ìn March

What we are doing and why?
Over the next two months, TTC will be upgrading the overhead infrastructure at the intersection of King Street and Shaw Street. The overhead wiring upgrade is necessary for the full operation of the TTC’s new accessible streetcars.

Traffic movement
Traffic will be maintained through the moving work zone with some lane restrictions.

Work hours
To complete this overhead work safely and with minimal impact to traffic, TTC staff will work between 12:01 a.m. and 5 a.m. nightly.

In this SHAZAM movie trailer, they have some scenes that involves the TTC's subway.

Unfortunately, they had to use CGI to create messages inside the subway cars, because the inside digital destination signs still are not working. What's taking so long, especially when they work fine on the Montreal Metro cars.

Last edited:
In this SHAZAM movie trailer, they have some scenes that involves the TTC's subway.

Unfortunately, they had to use CGI to create message inside the subway cars, because they inside digital destination signs still are not working. What's taking so long, especially when they work fine on the Montreal Metro cars.

You would think they would at least post delay info. Methinks there may not be an easy way to link them to real time info

The TTC should make better use of public relations. They need to give advice to use the 6 BAY bus, the 504 KING, and 505 DUNDAS as alternative routes to the downtown. (Need to replace the buses with streetcars on the 505 completely first.)

Well, the 505 won't be seeing streetcars until summer, by then the 501 will be fully converted to Flexity most likely. But until summer, 6 BAY, 504 KING and 506 CARLTON routes could be used as alternatives, also the 501 QUEEN.

It'll probably take a week after to post "Amber Alerts" on them, when they go live.

Years ago the one stop signs showed missing children. I once noticed a posting there for a missing child who at the time had recently been reported found 20 years later. The posting was up on the screens for weeks after she was found.

I actually contacted the TTC and the missing childrens agency to let them know of it.

Just goes to show how often they update things.

Back